General "Looking for a card"-Thread

Do you need the cast trigger like Shelldock isle? Or just getting it in play is enough?
Into play is enough. Looking into making the Eldrazi a possibility before hitting 10ish mana, but I still want them to hit the board later in the game. In fact, into play is probably better than casting them. They should lose something if they're cheated, ya know?

Ignite the Future is pretty sweet because it has an earlier game use and that's a totally fair effect for 8. I really like cards that enable something early and late.

Piper and Champion of Rhonas are a little too early, but they have to survive a turn and they're pretty fragile and they probably create a ton of tension.

WotC really put a lot of words on Ilharg. 6/6 trample for 5 isn't enough... Hmm... Maybe if it also came with an Emrakul? It might be alright if Piper and Champion are, but goddamn WotC.

Breach feels like it's 5 mana annihilator 4 and then the cube's namesake dies, so that's not quite what I'm after here, but the art is awesome.

Defense scares me.

Pattern is potentially fast, but it adds a cool tool for some sort of sacrifice deck.

Maybe Polymorph isn't so crazy lol. Be nice if some of the cheat wasn't green and it opens a whole archetype, likely in UR.

Things like this qualify, too. Can hit 12 mana off 6 lands the next turn.

No need to be afraid of defense. It requires a turn in which the opponent can counterplay.

Proteus staff and Gamekeeper are hampered by the randomness. That is also what makes for great tales.

Those three seem too high variance.

Ideally, the Proteus Staff aka Polymorph deck runs token producers and/or manlands in order to control what they will hit off the deck's namesake spells.

Defense was already mentioned, it is a great card.

Defense was in the original draft of my Cube but was cut for power-level reasons.........I think it might be its time to return, even if I don't generally like tutoring. Tokens has become a surprisingly good strategy these days.

fave higher powered rw cards? currently on the following, looking to cut my current seventh (Forth Eorlingas!) and add something new:

Out of these, I'd go with General Ferrous Rokiric. Not the most popular, but super explosive in the right build, a fun build-around.

Defense was in the original draft of my Cube but was cut for power-level reasons.........I think it might be its time to return, even if I don't generally like tutoring. Tokens has become a surprisingly good strategy these days.
Was it too strong or too weak? In my cube it is just average.

@froggy
Why you want to cut Forth Eorlingas!? It is high power. Maybe even the highest because monarch is a high-power mechanic stabled onto an efficient token creator that scales with the game.
that's exactly why. forth is stupendously powerful, to the point where its one of the best first picks in the cube and incredibly strong incentive for any deck to go into rw. my cube is high power, but i've found after some time of testing the immensely powerful threats like oko, forth, minsc+boo, etc are too much for this environ, and the benefit of how fun they are to play with doesn't outweigh how much they suck to play against. so, they're all leaving aha.

that's exactly why. forth is stupendously powerful, to the point where its one of the best first picks in the cube and incredibly strong incentive for any deck to go into rw. my cube is high power, but i've found after some time of testing the immensely powerful threats like oko, forth, minsc+boo, etc are too much for this environ, and the benefit of how fun they are to play with doesn't outweigh how much they suck to play against. so, they're all leaving aha.
It could be that it is the powerband/lack of answers why some of these cards are no fun to play against. Still, some of the these powerful cards are so much value that one is behind no matter what (or one has to trump a very strong card with an even stronger one).

The problem with cards like Oko, Forth, etc, and even stuff like Fable, is that they're extremely hard to answer cleanly because they produce immediate value across multiple game pieces, and then produce turn-over-turn value if not answered asap. It's hard to have efficient removal that can answer cards that put a bunch of cardboard on the table and then also draw you cards and/or remove your opponent's stuff.

yah, p much - i'm staying on fable for the moment because it's a lot more interesting as a synergy piece that enables various strategies, and also, speaking from experience, takes over the game much less than the prior three. the question has always not been are these too good, but does my regular pod prefer the cube with or without them. after some questioning, the response was 'eh', so i've trimmed those three, plus the initiative cards, and if the players really miss em they might come back.

i am keeping ragavan and some of the cards in that echelon of power for the moment, particularly the more aggressive ones, because all though they can exist in other strategies i think giving aggressive decks power to break through the soupy control/midrange decks my cube loves is valuable.

ended up on winota for my forth replacement! thanks all.

I’m just gonna do the usual forum service and ci the cards we’re talking about.

3462a3d0-5552-49fa-9eb7-100960c55891.jpg
06c053d3-028e-4961-93a5-5b7bb5a8601c.jpg
928036c9-11b8-493e-b9f2-8fbd3487cd19.jpg
24c0d87b-0049-4beb-b9cb-6f813b7aa7dc.jpg