Article [Lucky Paper] Cube Retrospective for 2024 Standard Rotation

landofMordor

Administrator
Here's my own cube list, filtered by these sets: https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/131313?f=e:mid+or+e:vow+or+e:neo+or+e:snc+or+e:clb

The biggest cards from this era for me are Ledger Shredder, Fable of the Mirror-Breaker, The Wandering Emperor, and the cycle of NEO Channel lands. But the big sleeper hit for me was Blade of the Oni -- I love how this card enables all kinds of funky synergies (equip to a flier! or a double-striker!) but also just beats down by itself.

Meanwhile, I've been near-universally disappointed by Commander-focused releases. 99% of it is not elegant enough by half for my powerful cube, and the elegant designs are so often pushed beyond what my lower-power cube can handle.

Thank you for reminding me that Blade of the Oni exists.

EDIT: I'm also not terribly surprised that Standard success correlates to so well with cube inclusion - given the sheer firehose of new cards, it's easy to forget about cool cards unless you see them all the time in one context or another.

Thanks for that cool article+thread+link!

This standard rotation wasn't the most inspiring for me. Currently I have 14 cards from these sets in my cube but almost half of them could be replaced easily. However, here is my top 5 with a short reasoning why I like them:

5. Touch the Spirit Realm
They don't print many O-Rings these days that can be willbendered, and this is a pretty nice one that comes with that play pattern.

4. Inspired Tinkering
Big Red needs some love, Wildfire isn't enough, and a juicy card draw and ramp effect like this is perfect. It's a really strong card actually, don't underestimate the black lotus you get here.

3. Invoke the Winds
Supporting mono blue isn't easy, but this card is one of the few that make it happen at my power level. It helps with blues biggest weakness (answering threats on board) and works with all the instant/sorcery synergies.

2. Patchwork Automaton
A great payoff for the artifact deck that is a colorless artifact itself, yet it isn't as busted as Cranial Plating. It's pretty perfect for the CCC.

1. Moon-Circuit Hacker
A second Ninja of the Deep Hours. What's not to love? Sometimes better sometimes worse, but if you want to support ninjas at 500 cards singleton, you can't be that picky anyways. I'll never cut this.

Honorable mention: Nashi, Moonsage's Scion, which I'm not running currently but am looking forward to test it with my next update.

I guess it's mostly NEO for me lol

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Currently there's still 38 cards of this era in my cube (not counting reprints)! I haven't updated the cube in a while though, so that number might decrease once I incorporate Assassin's Creed, Bloomburrow, and Duskmourn. Many of the cards strike me as not particularly pivotal to my strategies, and thus potentially replaceable, but there are some standouts that I expect to last for a good while.

Convoke simply is a delicious mechanic, it speaks to me, just as creative white card advantage does. Venerated Loxodon was a bit boring when I ran it, and Bennie is so much more fun. It doesn't shut the game down like the Loxodon, instead it slowly buries your opponent in card advantage. Who doesn't love death by a thousand stings over brute force?! Bonus: this card makes you feel smart when you get to trigger it on both your and your opponent's turns :)

This has secretly grown to be maybe my favorite wrath effect for cube, because it's actively good in other archetypes than just control. In fact, it can be a potent tool against control (if you catch them without a counterspell). Because those decks usually run a lower creature count, you can really get them by wiping their side of big beefy game enders, while leaving the most important half of your own bard intact. Meanwhile, control decks will just yell: "BIO for 13!" and be done with it. Great stuff!

It's only a common, and it might not have a permanent spot in my cube, but for now I'm really happy with the crab. It has multiple relevant modes, and I've seen all of them used. It being an artifact actually matters as well, with Sharuum the Hegemon being one of the Esper slots. There's nice synergy with the channel ability there!

This might be my favorite kill spell ever. I already confessed my love for convoke, but connive is another great keyword that I hope they'll revisit sooner rather than later. Card filtering is always welcome, but it's especially great in a cube that runs a self discard archetype! (Spoiler warning: this will be a recurring theme...) The +1/+1 counter for discarding a nonland card is occasionally super relevant, great mechanic!

This has been a really nice addition to the {U/B} discard deck. Another Drake Haven is just what the doctor ordered. This year has really given the archetype the support it needed to perform at a high level consistently, and I'm not even running the insane new tools like Psychic Frog that are a bit too much for my power level!

There are so many incidental artifacts around these days, that little goblin is upgrading treasures and Servo's left and right in the right shell, and it feels rewarding when you have that shell.

My cube has a heavy focus on gold cards, but the way I support it means most players end up with mainly two or three color decks. I do like some minor support for players wanting to go ham, and Hiveheart Shaman is such a delightful little treat for the five color deck. It provides a nice grindy payoff, counting all the land types, regardless of whether you've dropped duals or basics. However, it only searches for basics, pushing the drafter to really embrace the five color strategy.

If I recall correctly, this was only third choice for a new Esper card, but it far outperformed my expectations! I already talked about connive, but Kamiz also synergizes really well with the other {U/B} mechanic: ninja's! Like, really great! Not only can it make a ninja unblockable, it can also grant another one double strike. With the right choice of cards you'll be triggering saboteur triggers like a maniac! This really feels worth the three colors of mana!

Speaking of tools for the {U/B} discard deck, it really got some nice tools this era! This was instantly recognizable as an incredibly useful cog for the archetype. Looting your cards away and still getting to play them? Who could resist the value!

Had you told me Containment Construct wouldn't be my favorite new artifact for the {U/B} discard deck at the end of the year, I would have called you crazy! It's a great Trinket Mage target, it has great synergy with discard outlets (and self-enables in a pinch), and it creates two different relevant game objects! I think Currency Converter turned out to be my favorite cube card of the era

Used to be that Steel Overseer was the best, and really only, cheap colorless artifact synergy piece I wanted to run in my cube. I really was in the market for another one, and the Automaton is a great sticky threat for the deck!

Last but not least, these aren't really new, but ever since the Triomes came out and played so, so well, I ran Esper and Naya Triome as customs. Such a warm and fuzzy feeling when they actually complete a cycle! (bicycle lands, I'm looking at you!)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
so… Onderzeeboot’s favorite archetype is clearly {U/B} discard… maybe he’s under duress and this is a plea for help
Hahaha, it’s crazy how much support the archetype got in the span of just a year, and some stellar cards at that! And you know what’s crazy? The query I used excluded reprints, and for some reason this made me miss another great addition!

Man… it’s like someone at WotC was like: “I want to support UB Discard as an archetype, but it’s just a few cards shy of really being competitive. I know what my mission is for the next year!”

Like, how?! How did they print so many great and fun designs for a single niche archetype in just a year? It’s wild! And I’m very thankful they did, because it’s a really fun deck to play :)

Nice article idea!

I like the idea of a top five with my reasons why, so here's mine:
5)Reclusive Taxidermist
This is my favorite 2 mana elf right now, because it can also support aggro and graveyard. Love it.
4)Cathar Commando
It's hard to find enchantment and artifact removal that isn't just a sideboard card. This was an instant cube staple.
3)Welcoming Vampire
White card advantage that's pretty strong but not insane, and nice and simple.
2)Reckless Impulse
This card feels like it could have been in Alpha as a quintessential red spell that has always been there, perfectly formed.
1)Morbid Opportunist
I love this card so much for my sacrifice strategies. But it's also for control decks, and it's so simple.

Three of these cards have only three lines of text, which is awesome.

In my current cube, I realized that I have 35 cards from Innistrad sets out of about 180 non-land cards. That's compared to around 45 cards from Dominaria based sets (includes core sets). Sorting CubeCobra by plane would be fun if it could do that.