Sets [M20] Core Set 2020

I guess we're just going to have a perpetual spoiler season from now on. Three new Chandra's spoiled for Core Set 2020:

vyup8b7wrzbfuqtyroyv.png
qjmlchnpwtmgq2tjzfus.png
eszduz0ti2qs8tzlfsfa.png

Smaller ones are cute, big one is an insane finisher. Uncounterable, plus 2 to make an emblem that can stack up, and it goes up to 8 loyalty? This card is very very strong.

Wait a minute, after re-reading the rare Chandra I think it's actually super sweet. I missed that it cost only 1RR, that the first 0 ability puts a counter on herself (I read other red walkers), and that the elementals it makes are sacrificed and not exiled ala Chandra, Flamecaller. This card is also great.

Why are they just pumping out sweet versions of the same walker? I just picked up a copy of Torch of Defiance and was debating whether or not to swap it for Flamecaller long term and now I've got two more that I've got to consider in the running a month from now. Damn.

Spoiler season! Spoiler season! Spoiler season!

Kinda cool idea for a cycle? Honestly I'm loving the lower power PWs from WAR so I'm looking forward to more uncommon ones.

Worth noting that Chandra gets the only Rare and Uncommon walkers in this set, as 2020 is about her journey. I already run more red walkers than any other color and they keep printing cool ones! Acolyte of Flame looks amazing for aristocrats AND spells matter. Awakened Inferno seems absurd and will be a standard powerhouse (8 LOYALTY?????), and I'm lukewarm on Novice Pyromancer. Maybe for peasant cubes with an elemental theme?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Nope! It's easy to miss, but the -2 does not say "without paying its mana cost".

I think all three of these are a pass for me.

Oh, wow, I missed that completely o_O

Ok, seems pretty fair for a 3 mana walker then. Cute interaction with the uncommon Chandra :)

I feel like I built my cube back when planeswalker options were super scarce and now I need to go home and rethink my life.

This is the reason why I play Magic!

Magic is not a game per se in the classical sense. It is a game engine, where each set is a new game with new ideas to explore. We could also call them expansions but each set is so different that I am leaning towards calling them a new game every set.

This is also the reason why it is possible and enjoyable to construct and play cubes: We design our own set/game for our players to experience.

Including three Chandras in Core 2020 is new and interesting from a lore and game perspective. Just like giving all planeswalkers a static ability was new (pseudo new) and interesting during War of the Spark.

If Wizards are not rethinking the game every year, then we end up with a Hearthstone stale game where each expansion is..literally that. Just expansions with more of the same content again and again and again and the player base gets bored after a few years.

This one is hot...
qjmlchnpwtmgq2tjzfus.png

...these two are not
vyup8b7wrzbfuqtyroyv.png
eszduz0ti2qs8tzlfsfa.png

Also, didn't we just get a Chandra-themed core set back in 2013? Was a second one really necessary? Is Chandra actually the most popular Planeswalker now and WOTC just hasn't publicly admitted it yet? Are we getting reprints of Abbot of Keral Keep and Young Pyromancer in standard? With new art? Will this set have returning mechanic, or will it only be the evergreens? I felt M19 would have been extremely boring without the Elder Dragon stuff, and I don't think Chandra is anywhere near as interesting as Nicol Bolas. I think this set might be doomed to fail if it doesn't have good reprints or a returning mechanic. I think Flashback would make sense in a Chandra-themed set, with cards like Firebolt getting standard reprints. I could even see Snapcaster Mage not being over-powered in the current meta, since Planeswalker decks are much better than creature decks (save for Mono-Red burn).

If anything, I just hope this means we get a Demonic Pact reprint in the inevitable Liliana-themed core set. I need my baby in standard again...

If anything, I just hope this means we get a Demonic Pact reprint in the inevitable Liliana-themed core set. I need my baby in standard again...

Why do we even need Planeswalker-themed core sets? How does a character like Garruk, Liliana, Chandra, Jace, Ajani, Tamiyo, Bolas, or Tibalt represent magic as a whole? I think the answer is that they don't.

Origins was one of the most fun core sets because it's theme was: the Origins of the Characters. M19 was a cool core set because it was about Bolas's minions (and adversaries) in addition to the story of the Elder Dragon. M15 is largely forgettable because it involved a plot thread that hasn't gone anywhere for 5(!) years. If we go back to the M10-15 status quo, I think WOTC will be looking to replace or re-vamp the core sets in just a couple years. From what I've heard, M19 didn't actually sell all that well, despite the fact that it contained some cool cards. I would chalk this up to M19's limited environment mostly sucking, but I'm not entirely sure.

She and Nissa express their devotion for and love to each other. Homophobes will say there is plausible deniability that they aren't gay but tbh it's just mediocre writing.

Also if you play R/G Walkers in m20 standard you can call it Gruul-rfriends

I know but I seem to remember reading somewhere that she also has/had a crush on Gideon at some point in time before he died.

Don't get me wrong though, I much prefer Chandra and Nissa together. Gruulfriends is my favorite ship!