General Major change to Standard: Cards rotate slower

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Absolutely! I don't forsee anything getting banned, just if Fable continues to be the best thing, and whatever comes out next set is just not that great (or worse, is red or black *GASP*) then perhaps this might get stale.

It remains to be seen.
I heard this through the grapevine: Ban & Restricted discussion on Tuesday (5/16) episode of Weekly MTG. Fable of the Mirror-Breaker likely being banned.

I'm honestly surprised at Fable getting a ban, since it seems like (from the outside) that Black is currently dominant thanks to Graveyard Trespasser + Sheoldred + Invoke Despair. Fable's strong, sure, but it's way more flexible than other cards when it comes to what decks it can slot into.

I'm honestly surprised at Fable getting a ban, since it seems like (from the outside) that Black is currently dominant thanks to Graveyard Trespasser + Sheoldred + Invoke Despair. Fable's strong, sure, but it's way more flexible than other cards when it comes to what decks it can slot into.
It's just that Fable is so much value that the one-for-one removal in standard has a hard time dealing with it effectively. It's a very efficient card in a format that is currently quite durdly. I definitely don't think it's a ban-worthy card in of itself, but enough people are complaining that it's probably the candidate for the ban. I guess they could ban Sheoldred or Invoke, but Invoke actually leads to interesting deckbuilding changes and Sheoldred is a Mythic Legendary Creature, so both seem safe. As much as I think Graveyard Trespasser is a boring and un-fun card, it's not so powerful as to warrant a ban, I would guess.

I could see Atraxa, Grand Unifier getting banned since she currently goes into a very powerful reanimator deck in Standard while also being easy to hard cast in Domain. However, I think that change might just make the RBx midrange decks stronger and decrease deck diversity for the moment.

I hope they wait with any bans until we (the playerbase) see the effect of the new bigger format. Would be boring if they made two changes at the same time. Both bannings and extending Standard.

Remember the time I posted the news that Wizards of the Coast had been out there asking us what we could do to make Standard paper more appealing? It’s not so long ago. Now they make this change. Possibly as a result of this. Do you guys think that Wizard’s test group had enough time in Future Future League to test the extended Standard meta?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Do you guys think that Wizard’s test group had enough time in Future Future League to test the extended Standard meta?
According to same source of the ban rumor: “Decision to transition to three year Standard was made a while back, but Midnight Hunt and Crimson Vow were completed prior to then. They considered waiting another year to make the change, but decided to move forward this Fall and just deal with those sets existing one year longer.” So, that would probably be a no.

Interestingly: “The one "loss" that they regret about dropping the block model is the loss of cross-set mechanical synergy. Aaron Forsythe says shifting to three year Standard gives them opportunities to revisit mechanics and have more cross-set synergy down the road, though it'll be a bit before we see that.” Which is what we’ve recently been discussing :)