General (MAT) March of the Machine Aftermath Previews

A couple notes now that we have everything:
en_fb63f9973c.pngen_538d268d2d.png
Please WotC, PLEASE stop doing extended art treatments. Leave this to fan artists. It's so obvious that you're getting a cropped piece of work on the standard version of the card and it's not good! Why are you having the standard version of your cards using bastardized artwork? Why are you bastardizing artwork at all??? If you're so desperate to make extended art treatments, commission SEPARATE art for it, please!

(this'll probably go in my cube in place of Shalai, Voice of Plenty since it does the same core thing and the secondary ability here is much more fun and likely more practical).

en_517952150f.png

The only other card I'm for sure cubing with, and probably making an EDH deck around. Love Karn as a super powerstone, love the old bordered treatment, love the 5 suns of Mirrodin New Phyrexia Zhalfir.

en_94a7318994.pngen_01954d0d54.png

I'd be remiss to hope for - let alone ask for! - a Ravnica return in the near future. But damn, this frame and art style are wonderful.

en_c13bbf6c42.png

I feel a bit teased that we were going to get more old-bordered treatments from the initial reveal. At least the ones we got are gorgeous! This is probably not worth cubing with compared to other 3s in green for anyone at a reasonably high power level, but it's an interesting card nonetheless and I'm happy to have the game shift away from 'walkers, even if it's only a little bit (and for silly reasons).

I still don't get this set. The designs could've been a lot more interesting! I'm still eying a few others, but as an experiment, this seems like a weird way to test out "what can we do if we want to wrap up story beats, use less cardboard, and make a non-draftable set".

Attachments

• ggcpkxybegxa1.png
    ggcpkxybegxa1.png
    182.7 KB · Views: 1
@MilesOfficial
Yeah the Ravnica card frame is super interesting! Also one of the few we haven’t seen before.

I find it strange that we have non-artifacts on the Invention Masterpiece card frame.

Just like it’s strange to see non-spells on Invocation Masterpieces.

Can you put some more words to your thoughts on the bastardized frames?

I feel you. I have no objection in expanding the "strixhaven frame", but I find it to be weird, that they kept that bronze color for nonartifacts in the "kaladesh frame", why not adjust the color at least?

The weirdest one to me, however, is the use of the adventure frame for non-adventure cards.

That being said, I'm nlt against any of these. Everything looks better than the regular current frame, so give me options.

A big part of what makes Tresspasser good is the ward though :(
Yeah it's certainly a step down. Seems sick with haste creatures though, I think I'll try it.

I'm confused how this is similar to Thousand–Year Storm. Is it just because you get to do something splashy (a free Yorion trigger) every turn?
I don't really have much to add to my reasoning beyond what I already stated, so I'm not sure what to tell you. I don't think it's a card you put in spell combo decks if you understood that to be the implication, but hopefully my card evaluation skills aren't seen as that questionable.

View attachment 8272

I feel a bit teased that we were going to get more old-bordered treatments from the initial reveal. At least the ones we got are gorgeous! This is probably not worth cubing with compared to other 3s in green for anyone at a reasonably high power level, but it's an interesting card nonetheless and I'm happy to have the game shift away from 'walkers, even if it's only a little bit (and for silly reasons).
One of the cool things about the old border cards, is that the artists on these cards are all "old school" mtg artists!