Article [MCD] Commander previews

Dom Harvey

Contributor
OW0TIk0s5j_EN.jpg

This is a clear staple for even the tightest power-max Cubes. While it requires a hefty mana investment to remove something 'permanently', the tempo boost makes this more than good enough most of the time. Typically the most flexible removal spells are sorcery speed; of the few exceptions, Beast Within carries a significant drawback and the most restrictive Abrupt Decay is a multi-format all star. Unexpectedly Absent will be a solid role player in Legacy and a valuable tool in Cube.

7HBiwtL2j7_EN.jpg

The choice of whether to include this card says a lot about the philosophy behind your Cube. Judging solely by power level, Nemesis is incredible. Does it lead to fun games, though? If you can stock the Cube with enough answers, or if racing against it proves to be competitive, maybe. Being under the gun against an untouchable 3/1 and forced to find a way to deal 20 in time can be exciting; when equipment and the like enters the picture, it isn't.

2JSuSisxfd_EN.jpg

This one is hard to evaluate. If played on curve it compounds any advantage you have, acting as an ersatz Bitterblossom. More often, your 2-drop will get killed or face an unprofitable trade and you'll wish you had some guy - any guy - instead.

dTYASfL8WC_EN.jpg

This is an excellent defensive card for any midrange black deck; either the opponent kills it on sight and still loses a guy to the Snake, or it lives and presents them with that same conundrum every turn. Note that it triggers on each upkeep; if you have a way to cash in a token for an instant-speed effect, it gets out of hand quickly.

Notable synergies include Attrition, Contamination, Mortarpod, Goblin Bombardment, Rusalkas

Hz67j0FwBN_EN.jpg

We've been waiting for this for a long time. A splashable, 3-mana mass removal spell that scales as you want?! The life loss can be an issue, and it's much worse in the occasional 'Damnation your one creature away' line, but those are downsides I'm happy to live with. It greatly increases the value of creatures that live through it but which would die to a normal sweeper: T2 Tarmogoyf T3 Deluge will be a common play in Legacy, to the distress of Mothers of Runes everywhere.

uZ1R1e9IWX_EN.jpg

Sulfuric Vortex is one of the scariest cards in Cube, and so a turbo-charged version of it sounds good on paper. The appeal of Vortex is that it's perfectly costed for its effect; it fits neatly into the ideal start of the decks that want it, applying continuous and unstoppable pressure. Those decks have a much harder time mustering 5 mana, and when they do it's for an immediate game ender like Thundermaw Hellkite or Zealous Conscripts, which fit in a much wider range of decks. Witch Hunt is a narrow tool that's not really wanted by its target market; still, I think this is more than just a watered down Havoc Festival.

8fjYT8FQWO_EN.jpg

Restore is a home run: great art and flavour married to a cheap and exploitable effect. It doesn't slot easily into your normal singleton Cube, however. If you have maybe 15 cards that it can return with any regularity (fetches, Terramorphic Expanse/Evolving Wilds, Wasteland/Strip Mine, Horizon Canopy), it's going to rot in your hand or, more likely, your sideboard. For this to not be worse than Life from the Loam, it has to be a better Rampant Growth when it matters (that can randomly deliver a one-two punch with Strip Mine or bring back a manland for a second bout); when you double up on fetchlands, this starts to look realistic.

True-name Nemesis too strongk. I love Suddenly Absent, Toxic Deluge, and especially Ophiomancer. Curse of shallow graves might have some potential as well, but Witch Hunt needed to cost 4 to be good. Restore seems a little too narrow to be any good.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
True Name Nemesis is an awful card. Dauthi Maurader and Latch Seeker are borderline cards that in the right environment can be valuable contributors. That sort of effect needed a little boost to be playable, not godmode. Why does the best aura/equipment carrier in the game also need to be an amazing blocker?

Toxic Deluge is really good. Fire Covenant is stupidly good. Toxic Deluge kills problem dudes and costs less life (usually), but is a sorcery and can kill your own dudes. Against some decks, its a bad version of infest, but for the most part the flexibility will make it studly. Its a good wrath in the color that needed a good wrath.

Witch Hunt doesn't really have a home.

Restore seems decent, particularly if you run a loaded utility land draft. The flexibility of being rampant growth early OR an extra cabal pit/gargoyle castle/etc later when rampant growth would be a mostly dead card it the key here. Not sure it compares favorably to Edge of Autumn, but if you run a few dredge cards it could be a pretty good "tutor".

Unexpectedly Absent is clearly amazing. I'm not convinced that efficient, instant speed, target anything removal is an effect I actually want, though. I don't run Abrupt Decay and this is on that level.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
No mention of the green curse?
After some small testing, it's proven to be good in just regular stompy, as opposed to needing a token based home like most anthemns

I look forward to things coming up Unexpectedly Absent in response to fetchlands and rampant growths

I'm giving True-Name Nemesis a very guarded chance. I looked through my list and found no more than a dozen legit answers to him, more than half of them cost at least 4 mana and only 2 (Oblivion Stone and Ratchet Bomb) were usable by Green and/or Red. This probably isn't beatable if they untap with a counterspell. How is it that Blue gets all the best creatures?

I'm evaluating Unexpectedly Absent as tied for the 4th best targeted White removal, behind StP, Path and O-Ring. I have it on par with Faith's Fetters because FF is better in control and this is more for tempo/aggro. If you count Fiend Hunter and Banisher Priest I'd even consider ranking it behind those. Calling it a Legacy staple is probably a little ambitious, especially at WW in a format without any White decks. That said, I absolutely love the design and it immediately fills that gap that most people have Condemn, Oust or Crib Swap in.

Toxic Deluge is another beauty for Cube. Goes right in as the default 2nd Damnation instead of Black Sun's Zenith or Mutilate, especially being splashable at 2B. Again, "Legacy Staple" is too ambitious with the life loss as part of the cost. If you ever get this Dazed for example, you're probably just dead. At least it kills True-Name Nemesis.

Quick Hits:
- Ophiomancer is going to replace Marsh Flitter for me, I like the potential.
- Restore looks like an on-deck All Star.
- Curse of Shallow Graves goes in the "If I ever get around to building that Tribal Cube" pile, but I'm skeptical in general.
- Curse of Predation needed to be White.
- Witch Hunt is bad, tapping 5 Mountains should end the game on the spot.

On a personal note about my own cube, since I have a Modern Frame requirement on it, I get to treat all sorts of fun things like Control Magic, Dismiss, Strategic Planning and Basalt Monolith as new releases. Which is pretty fun.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Quick Hits:
- Ophiomancer is going to replace Marsh Flitter for me, I like the potential.
- Restore looks like an on-deck All Star.
- Curse of Shallow Graves goes in the "If I ever get around to building that Tribal Cube" pile, but I'm skeptical in general.
- Curse of Predation needed to be White.
- Witch Hunt is bad, tapping 5 Mountains should end the game on the spot.

On a personal note about my own cube, since I have a Modern Frame requirement on it, I get to treat all sorts of fun things like Control Magic, Dismiss, Strategic Planning and Basalt Monolith as new releases. Which is pretty fun.

Ophiomancer seems downright oppressive to me. if they can't answer him, they just stop attacking.
I'm less sold on restore. I run 23 fetchlands, so this will probably consistently be a ramp spell, but even best case where it's a farseek/sinkhole/Counter target stone rain split card, I don't think it's doing what I'd want it to. Edge of Autumn seems more up my alley.
After some playtesting, Neither the green nor black curse need tribal interactions to be good, Especially if you have any manlands. Zombieblossom and Gavony Township 2.0 are straight insane.

I'll agree witch hunt is pretty bad. While it will end the game in short order, the key part of what makes vortex good is that it's cheap and inevitable, and quite specifically NOT A FINISHER. It helps your gameplan, not rides on the back of it.

Edit: Also so pumped for the new face reporints. I don't even run a modern cube, I just love the new control magic art so much. AND THE P3K CARDS, OH THE P3K CARDS!!!!

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I don't see Unexpectedly Absent being a 4-of in every white deck or whatever, but it fits neatly into decks like Miracles as a 1/2-of to handle problematic permanents.

Toxic Deluge is mainly for Elves, Goblins, Death and Taxes, Maverick, and so on. Sure, it's awkward if it gets countered against Merfolk, but if you needed to kill multiple permanents and your spell wasn't going to resolve anyway, does it really matter what it was?

Would you make some kind of command zone errata?

Nah, Derevi would just be some weird kind of vigilance/seedborn muse dude depending on what kind of cards are in your cube. I don't think it's strong enough, but I purposefully keep my power level below busted. I'd rather have things with more raw power/unique effects like rafiq or finest hour than a mildly different glare of subdual that can let you untap your gilded lotus sometimes.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
It's a real shame none of the multicolor cards are any good for cube.

Yeah, I agree that it feels like a huge missed opportunity for some sweet two-colour cards. The last Commander set gave us some unique goodies in Edric, so I'm not sure why they felt the need to jam this set with exclusively three-colour shard cards.

Cards like pestermite, stormfront pegasus, and deceiver exarch are in plenty of cubes (with or without kiki/twin). Derevi can come in and untap a land which is slightly like costing 2 mana (or better if you have bouncelands). It also is a stronger body with a repeating effect. I wouldn't underrate the card at all. It has a lot more flexibility than any of the other cards I listed. It is not nuts but it exists as a cubeable card.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
No love for Sudden Demise?
l22vBURzyR_EN.jpg

It's a real shame none of the multicolor cards are any good for cube.

Good find, I hadn't seen this yet. I don't know if it's really there, but I'd have to test. Could be one-sided wraths. Or expensive spot removal. Well designed card though, looks fun to play with.

CML

Contributor
Sudden Demise looks INSANE. Beyond Geist of St. Trout (why couldn't the damn Open come to Seattle two weeks later?!) it seems to be the strongest card in the set.

I should note I typically have nothing nice to say about but EDH but these cards are pushed as fuck and I LOVE it.

I'm gonna give these a whirl:

serene master
unexpectedly absent
darksteel mutation
ophiomancer
curse of shallow graves
curse of predation
toxic deluge
sudden demise
witch hunt
roon
prossh

oloro

Serene master is kind of white's ophiomancer? Blocks for days and dies to almost everything; just can't attack unsuited. I think it's kind of stifling for decks that don't need to be stifled (big dumb guys) because they have enough problems in cube.

I could see Roon if you support it enough but I don't like prossh or oloro when you compare them to avenger of zendikar and obzedat. I just want my 3-color cards to be a little more unique than slightly different (and worse IMO) versions of existing cards. I understand oloro draws cards but he also dies to wraths and costs one more, besides another color. Ghost dad is the closest comparison I think.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I actually Love Roon, I had a similar general made up a while back when everyone had the deck he would captain, but no such general existed:

Krystal Shard {U}{W}{G}
1/3
T: Return target creature to it's owner's hand unless it's controller pays {1}

wait hold on he doesnt die

Sorry, a 1/9999 deathtouch, defender.

He also gets WORSE if you pump his power. With a bonesplitter, he will always die no matter what he blocks. (bar an unpumped char-rumbler :p)

I don't see why you'd want a dedicated blocking card like that, the other ones seem to have merits, like cantripping, or being an insane devotion house/having flying/flash but he just sorta... sits there and stymies your opponents ground pounders.
Sure it's a cooler card than Beloved Chaplain, but I think he's worse...

CML

Contributor
yeah its kinda stupid you guys are right. i think i may throw in plumeveil

3-color cards demand a very specific type of deck, i agree, and oloro and prossh surely aren't worth it and roon probably isn't either. my drafters signal their discontent by saying, "is this really in Cube? come ON, CML, what a JOKE cube" then passing it 15th wherein the guy with the last pick demands another beer.

on a more serious note, the 3-color cards i've had the most success with are the ones with the "softest" requirements. Wild Nacatl is a perfect example due to its righteous function and power level, but Bloodhall Ooze and the utterly insane Thornscape Battlemage (a favorite of mine) also come to mind.