Sets (MID) Innistrad: Midnight Hunt

And the rest of what seems to have been spoiled thus far:

1628200493792.png 1628200476254.png 1628200483983.png 1628200503455.png

I've got to say, I'm already a MUCH bigger fan of the direction that this set seems to be heading art and theme wise compared to many of our most recent offerings (except MH2, that was the shit). This feels much more in line with the usual, I'm interested in seeing what unique twists they've got for Innistrad this time around. I'm especially digging the Midsommar vibe on Join the Dance, hope that is something they're going to explore deeper.

So it begins.

In all honesty, I'm actually really excited by these cards for a lot of the same reasons shamizy is! My only gripe is how the flavor text on Join the Dance would have read a lot better if it reversed the order of its text and took out the dumb hyphenation, i.e. "We can go into the dark alone or hand in hand. I know which I'd prefer."

It would still be edgy, but I think it would work better, and might speak to some people at WotC being overworked--but maybe I'm just reading too much into a single card ;)

Those are some gorgeous lands. I will buy a bunch.

ok holy heck this set is already bananerz!
the shock and doom blade are instant includes that will probably stay basically forever in my cube

Standard will power down when Eldraine rotates, they said. It'll be fun, they said.

Again, though, I'm very much here for these cards. I'm not sure they're in the right direction power level wise for my cube, but I'm glad they exist. Or maybe I just have to make a second cube to give them a home . . .

good removal =/= a super powerful standard, but uh, i’m sure not playing just any 5-mana bomb into a 2 mana unconditional kill spell in standard

1628203645117.png

Was never a big fan of WAR Nissa in cube or most green walkers aside from Garruk Wildspeaker, but this does pique my interest. There's a lot of fun stuff you can do if you've got graveyard and land-oriented themes going on. Being mono-green lets you branch off into either RG with the typical beefy options or BG with more fun stuff like The Gitrog Monster.

This seems like a strong walker coming in with 5 loyalty and being able to immediately plop down a sizable tree with reach to protect itself. Not exactly game-warping either, which I appreciate. I just really like the dream of being able to do something like Tireless Provisioner or Lotus Cobra, play and crack a fetch, and then just start riding that value train to god knows where.

Consider is something I feel obligated to cube. The rest isn't for me. Happy about new flashback cards however.

I really hoped they would show off the showcase style(s) for this set though... taro card looks seem adequat

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Cool beans, but none of these are a good fit for my cube. I intentionally pushed cantrips to two mana, leaving cycling as the only one mana card draw option, and I also lowered the power of my removal spells. Join the Dance would be great, except that I don't run {G/W} in my cube. Champion of the Perished is a great callback, but despite running multiple zombies, I'm not looking to explicitly support the tribe like this.

I will say that the power level of those commons and uncommons makes me hopeful that there'll be some nice goodies revealed along the way that do fit my cube. After all, I was a big fan of Throne of Eldraine, and flashback alone is a great mechanic if it's costed aggressively enough (like on Join the Dance).

It's cool that this set already excites so many people just on the back of the first few spoiled cards though!

Honestly, I don't think play with fire is that good. You usually only shoot players when you're about to kill them anyway, right? Of course it's still shock with potential upside, but we've had better versions before, like Galvanic Blast