Reprints, reprints, reprints...

Looks to be some interesting rarity shifts again! these are going to common:

These cards will support two of the ever-exciting draft archetypes:

• R/G Go wide
  • W/U Blink
  • U/B Instants
  • B/R Unearth aggro
  • W/G Populate
I guess WotC is dialing back the draft focus. The above seems a lot like what might be the archetype design for an older Magic 20XX core set.

I like that this one set has checked off almost every single card on my currently-proxied list. Looking forward for some prices to come down in those cards, if nothing else.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I hope these two elements of the draft set can be properly reconciled:
mistraven.jpg
momentaryblink.jpg

and
sedraxisspecter.jpg
crumblingnecropolis.jpg

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I like that this one set has checked off almost every single card on my currently-proxied list. Looking forward for some prices to come down in those cards, if nothing else.
Me too, even though my proxied list consists of enemy fetches only :)

I hope these two elements of the draft set can be properly reconciled
Momentary Blink and unearth are awesome together. Dear lord, Deadeye Navigator is in the set too! That card basically reanimates any unearth creature for the unearth cost plus {1}{U}...

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I'm not sure the people designing this understand what they are making. Blink already is a disgusting value mechanic with good targets--especially when you can use it reactively in response to removal. :rolleyes: Maybe this is just years of cube experience talking, but this seems like such an obvious mis-design, for any sort of format premised on running reasonable cards. We are far away from using blink to value play high cc morphs.

Preemptively calling UW as the best color pair in this set by a mile.

Momentary Blink and unearth are awesome together. Dear lord, Deadeye Navigator is in the set too! That card basically reanimates any unearth creature for the unearth cost plus {1}{U}...

Unless I've misunderstood, the Unearth exiling on leaving the battlefield would override the exile and bring back of the flicker effects.

Unless I've misunderstood, the Unearth exiling on leaving the battlefield would override the exile and bring back of the flicker effects.
The blink exile overrides. It ends up in exile where the blink effect wants it, and it's available to return to the battlefield as normal. Its like, its going to exile anyway, so it all checks out. Same thing works with Obzedat and Whip of Erebos, for another example.

Ah I had the Obzedat Whip thing in the back of my head but I couldn't remember the exact combination. I guess it does work, that's pretty cool.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

Pretty much what sigh said. Unearth exiles a card when it would leave play, but blink effects put it there anyway, so the unearth trigger is like 'huh, well that's fine by me!'

Gatherer rulings said:
10/1/2008: If a creature returned to the battlefield with unearth would leave the battlefield for any reason, it’s exiled instead -- unless the spell or ability that’s causing the creature to leave the battlefield is actually trying to exile it! In that case, it succeeds at exiling it. If it later returns the creature card to the battlefield (as Oblivion Ring or Flickerwisp might, for example), the creature card will return to the battlefield as a new object with no relation to its previous existence. The unearth effect will no longer apply to it.

I actually had an Esper Peasant deck once that abused this rule with...

Reactions: CML
I'm not sure the people designing this understand what they are making. Blink already is a disgusting value mechanic with good targets--especially when you can use it reactively in response to removal. :rolleyes:

I think they know that blink is pretty strong with the right targets, but they still enjoy it as a draft mechanic because... it allows players to discover interesting interactions or something like that? Like, one of the things they love to do with draft environments (and most of us too I guess) is give tools to the players so they can discover strong sinergies and craft interesting decks with them, which brings variety to the game.

tl;dr They know blinking is strong, but they still enjoy it and don't find it too broken.

But oh boy Deadeye Navigator + Thragtusk.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Now Jason can whiff in Pauper as well!
augurofbolas.jpg

This seems pretty good in UB control decks. I wonder if it can strengthen UR enough is the question though.

I'm not too sure how I feel about this set at this point. It seems like they have spent a lot of their reprint equity on this set though and everyone and their dog is going to buy this set hoping to make some money, but the singles won't sell and the rares will plummet in price. Could be wrong, but I would really like the fetches to drop to a reasonable price for a change (after I just forked out $200 for a playset of Marsh Flats for GP Brisbane:\).

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I've been holding off on buying fetches for my cube because they're so ridiculously expensive, and ideally I want multiples... Really, the fetch reprints in Khans were a blessing, but I need my enemy fetches as well! Love that these are in the new border, and the original art is really nice, so I don't mind that they stuck with the old art.

Wonder if they'll reprint the Gatekeepers with all of those gates running around at common.

I thought for sure they'd skip over Tarmogoyf this year, but my surprise at the card quality in this set continues to grow.... :o

EDIT: serious question, is this set starting to look more like a loose cube draft to anyone else?

Looks like a killer draft! Still holding out hope for Chalice of the void... there's like 3 legacy decks that I want to build, but don't want to shell out 70 a pop :/

@Onder: Gatekeepers seem likely... and they are great with flicker effects :( I am scared Ghostly Flicker will be uncommon and that 3+color blink value decks will be tough to overcome. Gates at common coupled with signets/tri-lands at uncommon seem like a durdling recipe for disaster. I could easily see this Limited format playing like "that one time I designed a peasant cube and added all the good cards, and surprisingly, it wasn't fun to play", but let's hope there are a few balancing strategies...

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Serum visions reprint...finally

@Onder: Gatekeepers seem likely... and they are great with flicker effects :( I am scared Ghostly Flicker will be uncommon and that 3+color blink value decks will be tough to overcome. Gates at common coupled with signets/tri-lands at uncommon seem like a durdling recipe for disaster. I could easily see this Limited format playing like "that one time I designed a peasant cube and added all the good cards, and surprisingly, it wasn't fun to play", but let's hope there are a few balancing strategies...

Its already over dude. They are running the splicer tribal deck. Its reminding me of the penny cube, but less balanced. It could still be fun, it just depends on how obnoxious this UW deck is.

With visions, compulsive research, flickerwisp, master splicer, path to exile, and wing splicer at uncommon, coupled with the power of momentary blink and vanish into memory...ggs. You'll always be able to get a collection of sick uncommons in UW, giving you better consistancy, raw power, and synergy that should beat out any other combination. People forget that momentary blink at this power level is both a conditional counterspell as well as a utility spell effect, and you have time to play it reactively. This is before we even get into rares.

Just a question if you want to go into green for vital splicer, or black for lingering souls (both uncommons). Sick.

CML

Contributor
i'm so glad there's somethign i can spend money on to fill up the gaping hole in my life again now that the pace of condos aroudn here has slowed

It looks like the white Gatekeeper and Goblin Bushwhacker out due to the spoiled set numbers. Green-red "go wide" ... please don't downshift Hellrider to uncommon.