Modin's Cube Reforged

Welcome to my Cube Thread!

I’ve long been a disciple (and player) of the famous penny pincer which became my “main cube” for a long time, with secondary cubes rising and falling during the years. With the pandemic and all I have decided to throw myself once again into the perilous waters of creating one’s own cube. I’ve been aching for the nostalgic experience of graveyard based multicolor friendly environments and tried to replicate that a little bit while adding new mechanics and old ones that now enjoy a lot more support.

You are welcome to draft it here!

Loose design philosophy:
I have a rather small but dedicated playgroup of 4+ friends that have played magic for over 5 years. We generally dislike planeswalkers and enjoy mid-low powered playing experience. Exploring synergies and making unlikely cards/combinations work are definitely high on the list. While the color pairs do have dedicated strategies, I like to keep things a bit looser and give players options to be creative. General themes involve graveyard interactions (discard, flashback, etc.) and the availability of good fixing and multicolor cards – inspired by many others on this forum.

Ideas for the color pairs:
UW: aggro control/pants
UB: value discard
BR: aristocrats/madness
RG: the fall of lands (into the yard?)
GW: populate - big token energy
WB: human aristocrats
UR: spells n’ wizards
BG: selfmill/graveyard aggro
RW: go wide/equipment subtheme
UG: flash

Archetypes explained:

Azorius - Grow and Protect
Get growing threats out and protect them. Optionally suit them up with equipments or pants

UW Tempo

Dimir - Discard Value
Control the board and sculpt your hand using discard and cycling to your advantage. Reanimation spells lend themselves naturally to this theme.
Discard Control

Dimir Control

Dimir Aggro/Control

Rakdos - Aristocrats or Madness?
This color pair is rather torn and maybe not as focused as it should be. On the one hand it has the classic Aristocrats elements of sacc outlets and things that want to die: Fireblade Charger, Weaponcraft Enthusiast, Tuktuk the Explorer, Priest of the Forgotten Gods, Stronghold Assassin. On the other hand there are some discard synergies in red and black (see dimir) that pull you in a different direction: Ravenous Bloodseeker Alesha, Who Smiles at Death Anje's Ravager and the Unearth Bros. All that said you can probably build aggressive and board controlling strategies in that color pair, both focused around graveyard-ish synergies.

Rakdos Aggro

To be continued...

Last edited:
Draft Results

I am gonna present some acutal draft decks here. Most of them will be from two-player drafts as they are the thing that is happening the most right now.

2-Player Drafts

This is a pretty sweet list that almost went mono red and uses some equipment synergy to pump the team

This deck is a bit of a pile but uses all sorts of sacrifice synergies. [Drafted by haexxx]

I drafted this deck and it was pretty sweet. Tokens + Landfall synergies lead to a deck that could control the baord and play the long game but also had finishing power thanks to Rally the Peasants.

A pretty sweet spells matters deck with lots of control elements. Felt like playing against Shower of Coals.dec. Spoils of Adventure came in clutch with the invaluable lifegain to squeeze out the 3-2 [Drafted by haexxx]

This deck did all sorts of things, powered by the almighty Goldvein Pick. You definitely want to dregde/discard your fatties and reanimate them (hopefully with Flayer of the Hatebound). Wildfire probably didn't have a place in this deck. Played much better than expected.

Last edited:
Hey Modin! I missed this the first time round, sorry. Just wanted to say I'm really enjoying that you've included the Kaldheim 'guild' lands - ie

Are you finding/planning for people to play mainly two colours, or two with a splash, or more?

Hey, thanks! The power level between them is not really even but I figured they'd be at least somewhat useful in their respective colors. (Let's not talk about that one.)

These have been performing the best, especially paired with Life from the Loam or Rumanap Excavator for the late game value grind.

I am mostly aiming for two-color decks but splashes are very common and three-color decks do pop up. The Kaldheim lands however, with their odd restrictions aren't lending themselves too much to 3-color decks, which I kinda appreciate.