General (NEO) Kamigawa Neon Dynasty Leaks

These leaks just came out, and they're pretty spicy if they're true. Putting then under spoiler tags for those who want to wait for the real preview. I'm not part of the Discord in which they were leaked, so can't really vouch for their authenticity.

Cards
lmhxxxtfip581.jpg

o1jjizw23m581.jpg

Thoughts:

Kyodai is a very cool Resto variant, and another way to push shadow-5C decks. It seems fine, if not horribly exciting.

Echo of Death's Wail seems the most suspect of a bunch, and I could have sworn that MaRo said that there wouldn't be any more MDFCs for the next year or so. That said, maybe it's another mechanic, and if it's a custom it's a pretty reasonable one. Not a fan for cube at first blush due to the tribal requirements.

Takenuma jumps out at me for having Channel and for using Legendary Lands well. This seems like a great way to push lands from Gruul into Jund. And it's untapped??

Overall, these seem pretty plausible to me, but this may be someone just snowing the community. Time will tell!

Last edited:
How did you do the text trick? That was pretty cool. I had to tap twice on the text with my finger to read your text.

Takenuma, Abandoned Mire seems broken and it doesn’t follow their normal logic. It is better than a Basic unless you include cards that card about Basic lands or Basic land types. It’s also legendary which is something I have cried for since forever it feels like and they’ve always disappointed for several reasons. One being “We want people to be able to include lands.”

The other cards seem fine. They’re simply very texty and this is expected.

Obviously there is an interesting mechanic with the non-castable enchantment creatures. This excites me!

Oh shit, that only works for text. My bad! The tag is, in square brackets, ISPOILER, presumably standing for "in-line spoiler." I just used the little mask in the text options bar. Fixed the spoilering of the pictures! And agreed that Takenuma looks really good, but a) they HATE that you can't play multiple Legendary lands and b) the Pathways are strictly better than basics, so maybe they're more okay with that at this point. I'd imagine that whoever took these photos grabbed the most interesting cards, so I'm not surprised they're so texty and pushed (well, some of them).

Hmmm....I do not believe these are legit. Echo of Death's Wail has literally ZERO mechanical overlap with the original.

Ditto that Takenuma. Zero in common.

That's not really a thing they do, is it?

Not to mention, why would these legendary things suddenly do completely different things now? What makes a Legend legendary?

Have these been confirmed anywhere?

Hmmm....I do not believe these are legit. Echo of Death's Wail has literally ZERO mechanical overlap with the original.

Ditto that Takenuma. Zero in common.

That's not really a thing they do, is it?

Not to mention, why would these legendary things suddenly do completely different things now? What makes a Legend legendary?

Have these been confirmed anywhere?

They have not been confirmed.

Death’s Wail is a black spirit. Just like the only other card referencing Death’s Wail. Takenuma is not yet a legendary location/character.

What makes a thing legendary is that it is unique. One of a kind.

Death’s Wail is a black spirit. Just like the only other card referencing Death’s Wail.
AH. That's my mistake. I didn't check the type line on the new one and assumed it was a creature as well. /Dingus

Well, the art is DEFINITELY legit I don't see how they'd fake that part. Those are clearly for (or derived/inspired by) existing Magic cards.

I'm disappointed this will be SO derivative but when you have 10-20 releases a year now, I don't know what else they could do except reuse/recycle/repurpose/rinse/repeat/rinse/repeat....brrrrrrrrr....$$$

...but I still do not like the fact these cards that reference interesting legendary things from before have literally nothing in common with the originals other than art & name. Completely disposable. NICE.

That WUBRG ability is the biggest Okay I guess we have to make a 5-color legend for brawl text I have seen so far in contemporary magic design, it's so disconnected from the card as a whole it feels very... incredible? uncredible? incredulous? Also not big on the name, feels very informal for a spirit, at least going off usage I have heard in anime. Not going to present myself as an authority on the Japanese language.

Channel also has none of its original identity and is just a "Discard, [cost]: [effect]" which seems loose.

Hard to argue against all the art though.

That WUBRG ability is the biggest Okay I guess we have to make a 5-color legend for brawl text I have seen so far in contemporary magic design, it's so disconnected from the card as a whole it feels very... incredible? uncredible? incredulous?

Ham-fisted. It's not elegant, flavorful or evocative at all. Literally just there to make this into a 5C legendary option. The indestructible buff is a nice callback to That Which was Taken, but that's about it.