General Non-Creature Artifact Tokens

I'm a bit bored, so I thought I'd go over the different types of artifact tokens (Blood, Clues, Food, Powerstones, and Treasure... actually, let's throw on Incubator//Phyrexian tokens too, though they're a bit borderline) and how useful I think they are for cubes.

Powerstones ({U}{R}{c}, maybe {B})

I'm starting off with the worst one on the list... which is unfortunate, since I think Powerstones have a ton of (mostly squandered) potential. The issue is their narrow usage (you need to have a cube where you either have a bunch of big artifacts that people are trying to power out, or a ton of expensive activated abilities) and incredibly shallow card pool (only ~32 cards, with most of them being pretty low power). If we ever get a set that revisits them, I'd be interested in how they handle them.

Incubator//Phyrexian ({W}, maybe {U}{B})

On the one hand, I kinda like how the overall Incubate mechanic plays. On the other hand... it's a transforming token that requires tracking counters and only shows up on ~33 cards. It's just a lot of complexity to bring to the table. Though this does feel like it's cheating a bit when it comes to the "non-creature artifact" thing, Incubators are, in fact, not creatures.

Food ({B}{G}{W})

This list is vaguely in ranked order, by the way. On the one hand, we just got some new Food cards, and the token tends to be stapled to some pretty solid cards. On the flip side, though... Food by itself kinda sucks. It's the most expensive token to crack, and you get a whole three life when you do it. Yay?

Clues ({G}{W}, maybe {U})

Clues are cool and all, but they're also kinda generic, hence why I'm sticking them in the middle. They're great as a way to sneak some card draw into White or some Artifact-y goodness into Green, but they're just generically good. A nice, clean design that I wish we'd revisit more often than...

Treasure ({B}{R}{G}, maybe {W}{U})

I have developed a love-hate relationship with Treasure over the past couple years. At first, I was all for them (the Capitalism Cube ultimately came from how cool I thought Revel In Riches was), but then WotC started slathering them on everything, especially within Commander sets. As a result, they've lost some of their luster, and, well... it turns out that churning out Lotus Petals is pretty good. I'm not putting them on top, though, because I'm a bit burnt out on them.

Also... yeah, no, we're including all of the "crack this to add mana" tokens that have shown up over the years (Gold and Etherium Cells) under the "Treasure" category.

Blood ({B}{R})

Blood tokens are arguably one of the most elegant new mechanics WotC has introduced in the last three or so years, and I love them so much. It's a crying shame that we're probably never going to see them again as a full set mechanic, since I think they have the most depth out of any of the tokens I've listed here. Looting is simply more interesting than drawing cards from a design standpoint.

In general, I feel like the general space of non-creature tokens hasn't nearly been explored enough (and, when it does get explored, we mostly just get Treasures). More Clues and Blood, please! Also, a big shout out to Toggo and his mighty invention of the Rock, which is an idea that I'd love to see them revisit the next time they get a hankerin' to make a set with an equipment subtheme (no, seriously, it's probably the only bespoke non-creature artifact token that's actually broad enough to play around with).

I wouldn't complain. :p

Fun fact: while two-colored vampires pop up on a bunch of planes, Innistrad ({R}*) and Ixalan ({W}) are the only planes where we see mono-colored non-black vampires. So if they decide to make Blood a vampire staple from now on, the next visit to Ixalan would be a wonderful chance to give us some white cards that make Blood (which is unlikely).

* VOW added a couple in {W}, but VOW was also turbo-focused on vampires — I doubt we'll see them again if we re-visit.

You missed out Scrap tokens.

One of the failings with the implementation of Powerstones was, in my opinion, the lack of specified secondary uses. All of these tokens have their primary function as written on the card, and a generic secondary use as disposable artifacts, but I enjoy throwing food at my opponent, boosting my creatures with blood or winning the game through wealth.

Maybe others find these applications prescriptive or parasitic, but I find them to be quite fun. In all seriousness I would like to see something like Scrap as the token equivalent of charge counters, a game resource that can fuel a variety of actions.

I want to see blood revisited in green, most likely gruul, flavored not as vampiric but shamanic magic. Okay, I mostly want that because I want to see madness enablers in these colors. You got me.
Bloodthirst was a Gruul mechanism with a sanguine theme, so there is history. An alternative to shamanic magic is that the scent of blood sends predators into a frenzy, either rushing through your deck with the rummage ability, or rushing into combat (e.g. “Sacrifice a blood token: target creature gains haste until end of turn.”)

Sounds like a fun custom.

Beat to a pulp {1}{G}
Sorcery

Target creature you control gets +1/+1 until end of turn. It fights target creature you don’t control. If that creature would die this turn, create a Blood token. (It’s an artifact with “{1}, {T}, Discard a card, Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.”)

Sounds like a fun custom.

Beat to a pulp {1}{G}
Sorcery

Target creature you control gets +1/+1 until end of turn. It fights target creature you don’t control. If that creature would die this turn, create a Blood token. (It’s an artifact with “{1}, {T}, Discard a card, Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.”)
which creature is that creature to die?
if the creature you control or the one you do not control?

You missed out Scrap tokens.

I mostly skipped tokens that are only produced by a single card. Well, other than bringing up the mighty ROCK as something I want to see again, but even if I wasn't doing that... I probably would've skipped out on Scrap anyway? It doesn't do anything, so there's not much to talk about.

I hear you about Powerstones, though... and I would add that they were also excessively cautious when it came to Powerstones. On the one hand, they are mana rocks... but they're also really constrained when it comes to actually using them. I feel like they could've gotten away with some more ways to make them on T2, and a few more artifacts sources of them.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Eh I just figured "that creature" refers to the last mentioned one, so your opponent's.

Here's the wording your looking for :) The only thing is, where do you put the reminder text for the Blood token?

Beat to a pulp {1}{G}
Sorcery
Choose target creature an opponent controls. When that creature dies this turn, create a Blood token. Target creature you control fights that creature.

My one small gripe with Blood Tokens that Maro also points out in his poddy touching on this topic is that Blood doesn't exactly describe the mechanic of the token in a satisfying way. Everything else does this well but why is Blood looting? There is no example of Blood being connected to looting in magic's meta design language.

It's looting because Innistrad's vampires have a strong mechanical connection to discarding and the graveyard alongside the more normal life-total-stealing stuff. If Blood had been introduced on another plane, it probably wouldn't loot... but we also probably wouldn't have gotten it as a token.

The thing is that they needed Blood to be a BR thing, and most of the things that "blood" historically does in Magic are things that Red can't do, like gaining life, destroying creatures, or returning creature cards from the graveyard to your hand. The closest thing on the list is "draw cards at a cost", which is close enough to looting if you squint.

Clearly the solution is that they just need to print more cards that make Blood tokens so that "blood equates to looting" becomes part of the meta design language. No, I'm not biased, YOU'RE biased.

Here's the wording your looking for :) The only thing is, where do you put the reminder text for the Blood token?

Beat to a pulp {1}{G}
Sorcery
Choose target creature an opponent controls. When that creature dies this turn, create a Blood token. Target creature you control fights that creature.
I would just make the blood token unconditional. You don't have to kill a creature to draw blood. Usually it will make more flavor sense to create the blood than than not to, so keep it simple.

Ok here's custom_card_final_FINAL.card

Beat to a pulp {1}{G}
Sorcery

Target creature you control gets +1/+1 until end of turn. It fights target creature you don’t control. Then create a Blood token. (Each deals damage equal to its power to the other. A Blood is an artifact with “{1}, {T}, Discard a card, Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.”)