General Podcast Tonight: Strixhaven Set Review!

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Dom and I will be reviewing the (non-commander) Strixhaven cards on stream tonight, in approximately 11 hours. If you guys have any specific questions or topics you'd like us to dig into, drop them here!

- Dom has expressed in articles and earlier episodes that izzet spellslinger is hard to support in cube. Does this set help the archetype or do the problems remain?

- Boros is often viewed as narrow and aggro-oriented. Can the Lorehold-rebranding and new cards offer some variety and make drafting RW more dynamic and engaging?

Dom mentioned in a previous podcast a convo he had with Ryan Overturf about cube inclusions in the past, like how Char was a choice inspired by wanting a burn spell that would appeal to Aggro players. That's something I've been more keen on in recent years with card inclusions. For example, playing an Edge of Autumn instead of Rampant Growth allows me to keep that early ramp option, but the card is also live later when lands aren't important and can combine with something like The Gitrog Monster for extra interactions. A lot of these nuanced decisions can help decks and archetypes really pop off.

What are some similar card inclusions that you've had in the past? What are some of your favorites?

(Not really Strixhaven specific, just something I'm curious about in general)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I'm a huge edge of autumn fan. Last month I used it (and other stuff) to draw 3 off gitrog in a single turn.

I was watching the stream for 30 minutes and I have to say it was really high quality (except for the technical difficulties with the audio for a brief second)

I felt like I was watching professional streamers with many years of experience discussing topics with strong arguments and open minds.

Thumbs up!