General Renaming 'Breaking Singleton'

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I was watching the James Acaster special 'Cold Lasagne Hate Myself 1999' last night, and something he said made me think, 'should we rename the term "breaking singleton"?'.

Like, in the abortion debate (which will not take place here), the sides have labelled themselves as 'pro-life' and 'pro-choice'. Two 'positives'.

But, is the term "breaking singleton" too negative? Does it give too much credit to the old establishment? What other terms can we come up with. Where are the spinmasters?

:slicin:

Is creating a term not giving more power to the ones who (wrongly) assume singleton? Maybe you should make a video about the difference between 2 different names but functional copies and a copy (oh wait you already did that).

It is just like custom cards or rules, or even better, a better game than magic! If someone tells me they want to play magic with their cube and tells me nothing else then I assume no custom global rules but it could have custom cards...

Can't we get away with just assuming the least possible?
Since we all like to have a great play experience why not just list the goal of your cube and then the restrictions?

If you're looking for a more positive spin, "Unrestricted" would work well! It even works within Magic's existing internal terminology.

Unrestricted feels a little off to me, because you could still have many restrictions, just not singleton as one of them.

I was watching the James Acaster special 'Cold Lasagne Hate Myself 1999' last night, and something he said made me think, 'should we rename the term "breaking singleton"?'.

Like, in the abortion debate (which will not take place here), the sides have labelled themselves as 'pro-life' and 'pro-choice'. Two 'positives'.

But, is the term "breaking singleton" too negative? Does it give too much credit to the old establishment? What other terms can we come up with. Where are the spinmasters?
I wouldn't give non-singleton cubes a special designation at all: call singleton cubes "Singleton Restricted" and cubes with multiple copies of some cards "Cubes with Multiples." This is kind of a power move, since it implies that nonsingleton Cubes aren't doing anything out of the ordinary, while Singleton-Restricted Cubes are following a specific design restriction.

Is it even worth it? I feel like it's pretty established at this point among cube designers, especially with more people open to experimentation compared to say 6 years ago. Before it was almost blasphemous to suggest two of a kind on some boards, nowadays people don't even blink when you run double fetches or two Gravecrawler instead of a Sarcomancy.

I sometimes wonder how cool of a cube you could design if you only ran one unique card per CMC/card type. Like 7 Savannah Lions, 10 Charming Prince... 3 Gods Willing, 4 Oust, 4 Hallowed Burial... etc. Maybe that's back to being blasphemous?

Is it even worth it? I feel like it's pretty established at this point among cube designers, especially with more people open to experimentation compared to say 6 years ago. Before it was almost blasphemous to suggest two of a kind on some boards, nowadays people don't even blink when you run double fetches or two Gravecrawler instead of a Sarcomancy.
I'm not sure coming up with new Jargon is exactly the answer, but I think changing the language we use regarding this topic would help to make it feel a little more natural. "Breaking" something sounds a lot harder/worse than just not adhering to a certain principle.

I sometimes wonder how cool of a cube you could design if you only ran one unique card per CMC/card type. Like 7 Savannah Lions, 10 Charming Prince... 3 Gods Willing, 4 Oust, 4 Hallowed Burial... etc. Maybe that's back to being blasphemous?
Pretty sure you just described the MoMA Cube.

Pretty sure you just described the MoMA Cube.
Sort of similar, ya. What exactly is the restriction there? Didn't have any info in the overview. It's super non singleton (AKA Waddelled), but it runs several cards per slot.

I like art singleton as a concept, except that my players won't know what the Japanese or Invocations do.

It's art singleton, so a card can be played as many times as it is needed so long as each copy has a different piece of art.
Pretty different from my idea. My idea would allow only one card per MV+type. More of a thought experiment or something to draft a few times, as the replay value would be low.

yeah at this point i think the jargon is actually “singleton” for cubes that follow that restriction, no term is needed for a cube that breaks it