Retail Horizons- tight gameplay with retail limited level cards

link to the list:
https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/701c65f1-827c-48b0-978a-8b7b8a7af1ad

"if we made a common card with a mechanic, for example, it had to feel like a common card in a set that had that mechanic. The one difference with this set, though, was we weren't limiting ourselves to a normal Standard-legal number of mechanics. So basically, if you looked at any one random card from the set, in a vacuum, it would seem like any normal Magic set. It's only when you looked at a bunch that you realized we weren't following our usual norms."

Maro, about designing Modern Horizons 1

Goal:
This cube tries to use mostly common and uncommon, individually simple draft cards to make a decision rich and synergy heavy experience

The games are supposed to be about playing dudes, then using them to clash with opponent's dudes and occasionally beating their face with your dudes, fair and square.
There are a lot of synergy and shit but at the end of the day you are playing creatures on the board and taking them to combat. No storm combo or anything stupid like that

The prioroties of each player are supposed to be first: keeping up on tempo and srcond (but very close): sqeeze out card advantage

Like a ususal limited format

[Trivia: designing this cube started by me thinking about ninjutsuing back a battlewing mystic and using its kicker with an empty hand, thinking about how cool it is as a play. The I thought about ninjutsuing back creaturea as a way to replay their adventure, then about using ninjutsu as a very expensive way to blink things and then branching to all,sorts of things I find cool. I want these kinds of cool yet somewhat clunky things to be done by the players of this cube]

Means:
When using already made magic cards to build a draft environment, it is important to understand Balance being as imporatnat as theme in achieving your goal of creating an experience.
No matter how well a "power 4 or greater" theme gets supported, it simply cannot exist in the same environment where Azorius control has access to Swords to plowshares and supreme verdict. Taking the average power max legacy cube and adding in some power 4 or greater matters does not create the experiece of playing with that archetype.

The right environment for any given theme to flourish does have a predetermined power level, based on the available cards in your desposal (existing mtg cards) and the inherent nature of the theme (themes that require high-resource games require low power level,low removal density environments to shine and vice versa)
I recommend every one who hasn't read the following article to do so
https://articles.starcitygames.com/magic-the-gathering/select/elvish-visionary-vs-elderfang-disciple-the-nature-of-card-advantage/#:~:text=Big Games VS Small Games&text=In big games, players have,votes for a small game.

To my understamding, it is much easier to fit big-game themes in the same cube alongside each other as opposed to a combination of small-game themes and big-game themes.

A very good tool to monitor and take control of the power level of your environment is Removal: the density and efficiency of it. Cool 5 drop without immediate value is unplayable where doom blade and swords to plowshares are readily available. So are some of the most fun things to do in magic like using individually mediocre cards to build up a cool threat

consider this cool combo to kill 4 of you opponents creatures.
or

to let seer hit and offset the lifeloss

Playing these are stupid lines where 2 cost instant removal is the norm
Now, Im not saying these sorts of play patterns should be impossible to interact with. Im pointing at the fact that these things are impossible to olay in the avarge cube due to High density of efficient removal that fuck you up forbeven thinking about them (90% of cubes I see share above 85% of their list with MTGO Legacy cube list)

To have these kinds of combos a playable (and god forbid, desirable) things while still managable for the opponent, removal density and efficiecy has to match the average limited draft environment (or god forbid times two, even lower)

Intended Power level an general rules:
Note that every thing has a normal range and exceptions
I'm describing the normal range here
[also, obviously, these are for the environment I have in mind for this particular cube, Im not setting rules for all cubes ever]

Creature killing/lockdown is aimed to cost 3-4 mana with conditional ones (killing only small or tapped creaturea) to cost around 2

Counterspells are supposed to cost 2+ have some form of condition to meet

Nothing should provide both tempo AND value at the same time, unless the card's specific condition is met
These pieces of shit have no place in my cube

Also, cards that make the rest of the game revolve around them for ever (most plainswalkers, snowballing creatures that are too cheap, most draft bombs) are not welcome. If a card is capable of changing the coarse and nature of the game, it has to cost at least 3/4 mana AND has to be a creature (easiest thing to interact with)

So cards like these two can GTFO too

A one or two mana creature (specially a one mana creature) should not be able to run away with the game and snowball out of control without extra resources put into it

(no, curving out with your other creatures isn't investing resources into your evergrowing one drop you jackass)

In contrast, Bushi Tenderfoot (I didnt know this card existed either) can clock your opponent for 6 damage a turn but requires a condition (getting to combat with a creature) and resource investment (combat trick) to get online.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now for the actual cube list

This cube takes massive inspiration from 3 successful draft environments:
1. Modern horizons 1
2. Kamigawa, Neon dynasty
3. Modern horizons 2
So a lot of themes are taken from these sets and tried to be glued to gether to hopefully get a tangled web of overlapping and interacting archetypes

As you can see at first glance, I dont give a shit about symmetry between colors or guilds (I would like to have better balance between colors but I couldnt find enough green cards that I liked), nor do I give each color pair its own unique identity and play patterm like most mtg set drafts do, nor do I use gold cards as ways to signal post archetypes(these ones I have no desire to change).

So Im just gonna name some themes I tried to support somewhat in some colors

• Changelings + tribal supporta
• +1/+1 counters
• Artifacts
• Sacrifice
• Extra reward for growing or using pump spells on your creatures
• using ninjutsus and return to hand effects to re-use adventure or ETB effects
• cheap creatures matter/ small creatures matter/ go wide
• discarding (usually looting) cards for value
• some Proliferate with different counters

As you can see, everything is loose and there is a lot of room for reevaluation and evolotion, but I feel this is a good start to creating a fun environment that gives cool play patterns and synergies the opportunity to show themselves

Made some changes after some drafting to increase redundancy. As always I'm trying to fit too many things in a single environment which doesnt let synergies come up often enough
Added some second copies and removed some cards that seemed too niche

Out​

In​

Last edited by a moderator:
After some testing, I realized I've put tools to go wide without providing enough payoff

I added a second copy of canyon jerboa alongside honored crop captain and Fallaji vanguard

Swaped the woodland changelings into guardian gladewalkers

got mistwalkers out of blue, and with it the pirate tribal cards merchant raiders and coercive recruiter wnt away. Now changelings are WBG

Also opened some room for more cards I find cool

I really like the idea of these small two card combos. This kind of retail-cube is an inspiring concept (I might try sonething similar with just 4 colors for a two Player cube). I'd be curious how it plays out and how often these interactions actually happen.
Just FYI: you can post card images directly using [_ci] and [_/ci] (without the _)

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
I abused my mod privileges and changed all your uploaded images to the CI formatting that we use here. I can now actually see the pictures instead of them being teeny-tiny like they were before.
Also changed your list of in's and outs to images as I had no idea what half those cards were that you were changing.

Also did a draft of the cube and I had cards pulling me in directions that looked well supported, so was pleasantly pleased with how the deck worked out.