RiptideLab's Most Liked Posts of 2015

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Number of posts per day ebbs and flows. The general trend is that our posts are made my a more diverse set of users, as opposed to the early days when something like 55% of posts were from me and Chris Taylor.

If you look at the Top 12 posters (http://riptidelab.com/forum/members/), the breakdown on join date is:

Original Members: (April 2013)
Jason Waddell
Chris Taylor
CML
FlowerSunRain
James Stevenson
Eric Chan
Dom Harvey

Early Members:
Lucre (June 2013)
anotak (August 2013)
ahadabans (November 2013)

2nd Generation Members:
Grillo_Parlante (April 2014)
Onderzeeboot (May 2014)

In total, these 12 members produce about 65% of the posts on RiptideLab.

Among those, the only users who are followed are anotak (1 follower) and Grillo (3 followers).

Fuck, I post too much! The most suprising statistic I could glean from that list is that Grillo has a really insane likes to post ratio* of over .8 likes per post, which really reflects the thoughtful posts he makes. Nice!

*He's beaten, if only just, by upstart Aston, who admittedly has a much lower post count (over 300 though!).

Fuck, I post too much! The most suprising statistic I could glean from that list is that Grillo has a really insane likes to post ratio* of over .8 likes per post, which really reflects the thoughtful posts he makes. Nice!

*He's beaten, if only just, by upstart Aston, who admittedly has a much lower post count (over 300 though!).

I'm at 728/738 for a 0.98 ratio, not that it's a competition, but if anyone's noticed increased effortposting it's mostly because i wanna hit 1.0

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm at 728/738 for a 0.98 ratio, not that it's a competition, but if anyone's noticed increased effortposting it's mostly because i wanna hit 1.0
Oh alright, I'll like you ;)

I only checked the top 12, and then wondered if the Bald whovian trading post was good for Aston's ratio. I must say though, 729/738 is really, really impressive!

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
So it's not a competition, eh? Well let me just tinker with my code and... tada!

Top Post to Like Ratios!

So first off I just made the ratios and these were the top 5:
JjxdYJL.png
Then I realised that it is hard to beat people with less than 10 posts. Although, props to spamtrash, whose posts don't don't seem to be either spam nor trash!

So instead lets make the minimum post count 100 and see what happens:
bJuFiP9.jpg
I uhhh, didn't change any of the data... I swear. So there are a lot of things you can divulge from this. Especially when you compare the ratios to date joined (too lazy to do that). As it confirms Jason's data from before of being less likes when the forum first started. The later you came here the higher your ratio would be. Grillo has done a real great job with that number of posts to keep the ratio up that high. Props to him.

If we went with just 10 posts or more then this is what the top 10 looks like:
tMFDhPK.png
Both of those top two had their first posts liked 10+ times so they were starting off strong but have come down with subsequent postings. I have the problem where I can't really do a post unless I feel it is worth others reading. This is why most of my posts are long (with a lot of parentheses) but if I get a like then hey, it was all worth it. I feel that RavebornMuse is rather similar as a lot of their posts are fairly long, well thought out and easy to relate to.

Well, that is all I have to say about these (terrible looking) tables at this point. I hope they give you some interesting thoughts to chew over.

EDIT: Aww... My nice tables didn't get posted correctly. Oh well. I'll just leave them like this and fiddle with them later.
EDIT EDIT: Just took screenshots of the spreadsheet as they look nicer. Were really large images though so have put them in spoiler tags so you don't take 12 years to scroll past them.

I am glad that I not the only one to use likes-to-posts ratio as an allowance for shitposts. :D It's bad when the shitposts get liked; it's akin to giving an animal a biscuit for pissing in your bed. I am consciously releasing this post into the wild; do not like it!

Oooh! Breaking the top 10. But then again, I don't post that much original content either. I just spew my opinions and experiences in relation to the topics at hand.

In regards to shitposting, my "most-liked of 2015" comment was literally a shitpost about shitposting. So I dunno.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Oooh! Breaking the top 10. But then again, I don't post that much original content either. I just spew my opinions and experiences in relation to the topics at hand.

In regards to shitposting, my "most-liked of 2015" comment was literally a shitpost about shitposting. So I dunno.

We must go shittier

We must go shittier

When I wrote this I was actually thinking the opposite. A lot of my posts this winter have been kinda shitty and non-contributive to the community as a whole (which is probably a function of me being away from drafting on the regular), and I'd like to change that. Meaning, I might post less or I might actually try to maintain my own Cube thread for once.

I used shitlanguage as a noneffortpost does not necessarily mean a shitpost. Anyway, I am subscribing safra's system of keeping a high like-to-post ratio to ensure that I am contributing to the forum with effortposts or maybe even just normal posts. I have a sneaking suspicion that infectedungposting could also lead to a high like-to-post ratio, though, Chrisbrethren Taylor. As Rave postulated, we soon most likely all shall be fecalfarmers fertilizing these boards with memes, emojis and the like.

Edit: I think I found a new artistic outlet- rewriting 1984 as though it were written by an individual that never passed the anal stage of child development.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
I'm excited for the new likefarming meta on these forums that's about to develop
I feel this statement is what I was concerned about when releasing the data. Everyone takes it in a different way. Some people will try and increase their likes (or post:likes ratio) by: Shit-posting more (Aston), shit-posting less (vennythekid) or effort-posting more (Safra).
Other people (Jason) just won't even care. To be honest, most people are lazy at their core, so even if they try to do one of these things, they will probably go back to posting how they usually do.

The one thing I hope this data encourages is effort-posting. The quality of the content on the site increases and can lead to further in-depth discussions, instead of the standard 2 sentence response.
I feel this is where the top 5 post:like ratio members excel (myself, Raveborn, Chris, Safra, sigh), along with Grillo. The posts we output feel like they have that touch more polish when I read them and help me induce my own thought processes.

Shit-posts are really hit or miss. You either get 5+ likes or you get nothing. Effort-posts consistently get you 3+ likes every time.

This type of data is fun to extrapolate, even if it is pretty meta.

It should be noted that nothing before 2015 stands a chance, because you guys became obsessed with liking posts this year.

iYbCtM8.png

Also, on another note, people are obsessed with posting these days. For the first time we had a week where every single day saw more than 100 new posts created.
What does this graph look like for 2016-21?

Is it possible to look at this data compared to other metrics of user activity? Also, I'd expect total likes to increase exponentially with activity, not linearly, as more people means not only more likes per post (because more people see any given post) but also more posts.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
posts.png
Number of posts has historically been most indicative of posts likes, and they are pretty much 1:1. The blue spike in 2019 was from a day a spam bot came and made a couple thousand posts. Stats are daily averages per month.