General RiptideLab is now a Twitch affiliate!

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
https://www.twitch.tv/riptidelab has reached affiliate status on Twitch! This opens up new ways to support the community, and one of them is free*!

If you have Amazon Prime, you can manually subscribe to the RiptideLab Twitch channel once a month at no additional cost.

Now, Amazon doesn't even really exist in my country, but I've been a prime subscriber for the last few months because of their video streaming service. For some reason it costs 3 Euros for me to subscribe to amazon.nl, which is less than the cost of a normal Twitch subscription.

I'm no Velrun, but I will offer my take on what the best things to watch on Prime Video:

CVSZLnJ.png

Fleabag is a brilliant dark comedy by Phoebe Waller-Bridge. In the spirit of great British series, this show doesn't overstay its welcome, packing its entire arc into two six-episode seasons. Fleabag is witty, biting, and definitely worth your watch.

See also: The Dutchess

wYEYLfF.png

I didn't actually expect to like The Boys. I've mostly avoided this never-ending tidal wave of super hero content, but a friend with usually good taste recommended it. The Boys flips the script on the Super Hero formula. The heroes are the show's villains, and the show follows a scrappy group of anti-heroes trying to sort through the mess. The writing and character arks are a little sloppy at times, but it was nonetheless an entertaining romp.

See also: Neal Stephenson novels?

wXzRdqY.png

Did you know that yours truly made a few grand doing standup comedy? Well, I was never that good, but it was a fun hobby once upon a time, before I lost motivation. My first year I made it to the Top 8 of Belgium's Humo Comedy Cup. Now about half the other people from the Top 8 are famous in Belgium, and I have a Twitch Channel with 56 followers. Maisel is a light-hearted dramady by the creator of Gilmore Girls. The whole presentation is a bit dreamy, with a tone more befitting the stage than the small screen. The cinematography is great and, according to my wife, so is the costume design.

See also: Glow

hslKsGk.png

I'm not a car guy. I do like racing games, but couldn't care less about the car I'm driving beyond how it handles. So at a glance I wouldn't think a show by the Top Gear guys would be for me. But they've struck a new formula. The episodes I've seen have been adventure travelogues that just happen to feature vehicles. One episode they're navigating boats through the waters of Vietnam and Cambodia. The next they're dredging miserably through the worst roads imaginable in Madegascar. In another, they were air dropped days from any sign of civilization in Mongolia, forced to build a makeshift vehicle from the parts that were also airdropped in from crates. It's brilliant TV for someone like me, the focus is on the narrative and the adventure, and they don't spend basically any time faffing about explaining gear ratios or torque conversion or differential slippage.

See also: A 4K HDR TV

0EUcKNS.png

Battlestar Galactica is a godsdamn masterpiece.