Sets (RNA) Ravnica Allegiance Spoilers

First RNA spoiler came out today:
maxresdefault.jpg

Card text:
"Light the Stage"?
2R
Sorcery (Uncommon)
Spectacle R
Exile the top two cards of your library. Until the end of your next turn, you can play these cards.
"Everyone to their posts" (???) -- Judith. Probably something like "Places, everyone!" in English

We have no idea what Spectacle does yet. The best guesses I have seen so far:
-It's a reduced cost if an opponent has lost life this turn
-It's a reduced cost if it's the only card in hand
-It lets you cast the card with flash for an extra mana investment (I would say this is unlikely, since red doesn't get flash on permanents. It does have a lot of instants though, so...)

Any thoughts?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Seeing that the card benefits form a cheaper casting cost, I definitely expect it to be an alternate casting cost. There's so many conditions it could depend upon though, so it's just guesswork really...
  • Alternate cost if blood was spilled (an opponent lost life this turn / you attacked with a creature this turn / a creature [you control] died this turn / you pay an additional X life to cast this card)
  • Alternate cost if it's the grand finale (it's the last card in your hand / you've cast another spell this turn)
  • Alternate cost if you gathered a crowd (you control X or more creatures / there are X or more creatures on the battlefield)
  • Alternate cost if people are going insane (you [or an opponent] discarded a card this turn / you discard an additional card to cast this card)
I'm sure there's more...

I kinda hope it's not "if an opponent lost life this turn" cost reduction, because this feels kinda win-more to me. I hope it it "if a creature dies this turn", like a cost reduction version of morbid. That would fit my Rakdos sacrifice theme better as well.

second the hope that it's a morbid-like effect.

That is a pretty great effect regardless. Until the end of your next turn gives you a lot more flexibility to use both of the exiled cards (two lands, two more expensive spells, etc.)

I've got a hunch (read: wishful thinking) that this card will act as a sort of self-fuel for Spectacle, and Spectacle ends up being something like: "If you cast this card from exile, you may cast it for its spectacle cost".

Something like that would be sweet for cube designers as it would interact with pre-existing cards like Stromkirk Occultist, Abbot of Keral Keep, etc., and open up design space for Spectacle-based archetypes.

flashback from exile would be nice indeed!
Maybe it's a reflavour of Miracle, something that gives you the idea of an "entreat"...
The warp meccaninc from Eternal would work very nicely(but unfeasibile whith cardboard)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Flashback from exile seems unnecessarily complicated of an ability. That requires so much setup, I doubt they'ld be willing to use it as a (guild) mechanic. They didnt even use it in Eldrazi-land, where exiling was unusually abundant.

In fact what I'm imagining probably requires even more set up then straight up flashback from exile, because I'm envisioning it would only allow you to cast at the Spectacle cost if it was legal to cast the card.

Spectacle is an unused silver-border mechanic from Unstable. If you're wearing eye glasses as you cast it you can cast it for its spectacles cost

This. Is. Magnificent. For too long have the Rakdos gone without proper optical care. Now, they can stop their riot and go back to the armchair intellectuals they have always wanted to be.

Looks like the rest of the promos got leaked! It looks like Mortify is finally getting reprinted. The only one of the new cards that really excites me is Rakdos Firewheeler, and only because it would be a pretty decent playable in my new project (which I will write about eventually).

Not sure one's better or worse than the other. They are kinda different. Thrasios will definitely be more powerful in the long game, but requires holding up a lot more mana for the effect. This new card is only a one-shot explore effect, but it can be held up alongside something like a counter, and 2 mana is a lot easier to keep up/bluff than 4.

Depends how the UG decks are operating in the format. In a "vacuum", probably Thrasios is still better.

https://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/magic-fundamentals/the-rumor-mill/802701-tithe-taker

That's a powerful keyword. Still, I'm really disappointed. Orzhov gets something different again, seems to be more creature based now and it doesn't working with my lifegain theme in that colors like Extort did really well.

I also think a well executed haunt would be the perfect mechanic, but well ...

Screw that, man! An ENTIRE GUILD of Doomed Travelers! Do you know how many Aristocrats goodies that means?