Sets Shadows over Innistrad Spoilers Thread

More leaks!

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/44grhe/i_bought_the_leaked_shadows_over_innistrad_cards/

http://imgur.com/a/Ztvm8

Initial thoughts:

• Madness is back! I imagine it will be the U/R limited mechanic like flashback was kind of centered there in the original block.
  • Skulk! Glad to see more interesting and conditional evasion abilities as keywords. I could even see this as an evergreen mechanic to give U/B a creature keyword to share permanently.
  • Clues! Slow cantrips that also benefit affinity/metalcraft if you do that. I bet this will be the W/U draft mechanic.
  • Delirium! Both cards we've seen with this have been black. I see this falling into B/G for limited.
  • Devils as Goblin Arsonist tokens! Definitely fits into where I've been pushing R/B decks.
  • The flavor on the flip card names alone is amazing!
In general, I think this is the set I've been most excited about since returning to Magic during the original INN block.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Really excited to see more creatures with the skulk ability: adds evasion to avoid token stall, and allows cross support with heroic or aura based decks.

Stoic builder also looks great, though I would like to see that ability shifted into another color.

The entire investigate mechanic looks interesting: maybe will get 1-2 ways to cheat an increase in artifact density?

Don't like watcher in the web at all: seems like a miserable creature to include at common.

Grillo, I think you're misreading Skulk as it's the oppposite of the Wandering Wolf ability or I'm misreading your comment. Skulk doesn't prevent tokens from clogging the board, but does prevent solitary beefy dudes from holding back your skulking weenie. It's a non-bo with heroic and auras.

The entire investigate mechanic looks interesting: maybe will get 1-2 ways to cheat an increase in artifact density?

The card showcasing this ability seems of a lower power level that is cubable with artifact synergies. Although, the token could've been named differently; clue doesn't have a dark enough connotation. I would've went with Evidence token.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Also it curves really nicely into itself. I'd love it way less if the activation was 4, even though it's still a good card

Also, since transformation is mandatory, there are times when you'll skip playing something marginal to flip your opponent's Recruiter since you don't want them drawing more cards!
Man this card is a god damn onion

Goblin Arsonist tokens!? I love this set!

Interested to see what we get from clues. I always enjoy a good Tinker/Artifact deck and tools that can be playable outside of said deck would be awesome!

UG Flash here we COME! Like, wow this card seems very strong. In a deck with an extra land in hand, this is a 6/5 flash for 4, with two bodies :eek:. For me I think replacing centaur vinecrasher.
{2}{G}{G} Pack Guardian
Flash
When ~ enters, you may discard a land card. If you do -> 2/2 wolf.
4/3

packguardian.jpg

It does, but there's only so much room in a green 4 slot. Worth having both? I'm not as sure as definitely wanting one of the two.

Hopefully we get sweet madness cards so I don't have to be redesigning/powering up older cards.

The only thing I'm really gagging for here is the Clues, and not because the idea seems particularly interesting to me, but rather, because it looks like a flex mechanic to pivot between colourless-matters into artifact-matters and I'm praying for Kaladesh to happen soon.

(But maybe not because clue tokens + thopter tokens + CONTRAPTIONS!!!!! would be a lot of tokens...)
(But I'm calling it anyway)
(The green flip card looks cool but flip cards are too taxing for me personally and we only run the flipwalkers as a result)
(I also like that blue homunculus because it's cute)
(And I agree it's probably the U/B mechanic they've long wanted)
(Makes me think Maro has been teasing it for the past year deliberately, making the players wrack their minds for what it could be and then surprising them with this)
(Making it seem better than it probably is because hey it's not mill right? right??)
(fools!!)

~this has been your no-sleep shitpost~

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I think what I like the most is the return of the Innistrad gothic horror art style. Most of us old geezers here are in the camp that All New Magic Art Is Bad, but some of that Innistrad stuff is dripping with style and flavour. It's a small detail, but I love how both the humans and vampires dress, like they're going to some fancy party, even when they're actually fending off annoying imps. The colour palette is also pretty awesome, with lots of moody lighting. Hopefully the set itself is good, but man am I stoked about how the cards look!

We can have a sea of blood and passion! Shadows under innistrad. Fire is overplayed lets bring back the romance! But yeah, realistically I will probably have to wait until the waterworld expansion

Edit - we could have had it last expansion if only they had understood the marketing benefits of Surgefolks

I'm very happy about seeing madness, and what cool new things we'll get with it :)
Unfortunately for standard, it seems to be partially responsible for Jace, VP climbing even more. $75 mid on TCGplayer now.... sigh. I'm not sure if there's some other reason adding to that, but that's just with Fiery Temper leaked, so who knows what sort of ceiling he could have now....

Some more leaks or what have you! Interestingstuff showing up, including the return of lightning axe, one of my favorite cards.
Here's an interesting take on peer through depths. Very similar to uncovered clues also, but this digs one deeper, and dumps into the grave. Didn't even notice that at first, but it's thick gravy. I know that blue three drop draw spells are crowded as heck, but this could easily be one one of them. It's important for more combo-y graveyard stuff like living Death, and better than most of the others with Delve. Thoughts on this? My personal options would be my new Oath of Jace or maybe Compulsive Research
piecesofthepuzzle.jpg

EIDT: Beat to it! Also, the way this is going, it looks like there might not be flashback in this set? That makes me pretty sad :oops:.