Simplicity Cube

I like the idea of a simplicity cube. I also like the budget version. The couple times you mention planeswalkers does have me scratching my head a bit, though. When I started Magic, I learned using the Ajani Vengeant duel deck, and I loved having a splashy mythic that could blow up all my opponents' lands, even if I didn't know exactly how to use a planeswalker. Eventually I figured the rules out, but it was that magic (no pun intended) of having a powerful/evocative/exciting/fun game piece that made the experience special to me and gave me a reason to memorize a bunch of rules in the first place.

I'm not saying you need to add a million 'walkers right now, just curious what leads you to categorically exclude any trace of them, since they can be some of the most flavorful parts of Magic for new players.

This is a fair question. My general attitude about planeswalkers is that they're fun to cast and activate - I've played a whole bunch of them in decks online - but that the game might be a little better without them. I'm not completely married to this stance, but I learned Magic well before planeswalkers existed and don't view them as an essential feature of the game.

For the purposes of the beginner cube, planeswalkers would add some complexity. They have counters on the cards, they're wordy, and they add additional rules, so I omit them. Since I'm not running planeswalkers, it's convenient to avoid cards that have text like "~ deals 3 damage to target creature or planeswalker." That way people don't have to have a conversation about what a planeswalker is.

That said, when I get back to updating the other cubes that have less restrictive card selection criteria, I'll consider including planeswalkers.

I've updated the Beginner Cube to make it work as a set of 16 Jumpstart packs in addition to being a cube. The themes aren't really tight within the packs, which is fine - I want the decks to act like draft decks. I believe there is a bit of cross-pollination of themes between the packs.

Each pack will include a Thriving land plus seven basic lands.

Here's the first batch of Jumpstart packs, with the rest to follow when I get the opportunity.

Last edited:
The rest of the Jumpstart packs are below.

My daughter and I played a couple of games - she enjoyed checking out the cards that were new to her, which was most of them. We each looked at three packs and picked two. Jumpstart is pretty fun! It's such an easy way to grab a deck and get into a game.

Blue artifacts + White blink vs Green Self-Mill + Red Spells: The UW deck seemed clearly better. There's some cross-synergies between the two halves. My daughter playled the RG and ended up getting me down to 1 life with Invigorated Rampage and another trick, though, and she could have won with one more mana. But that matchup also featured a board stall caused by too many creatures with toughness > power.

White Army + Black Graveyard vs Blue Control + Black Sacrifice:
The white/black was fun - it has some weenie recursion and a bit of aggro-control. The UB combination was too weak, especially the blue half.

Next time, I'm going to look at both decks and give my kid whichever one looks stronger.

For the moment, I snuck a couple of flashback spells into the green mill deck. I don't want more mechanics, but flashback is a good one, and the archetype needs the help. I also put Evolving Wilds in the 5 color deck, which breaks the shuffling rule. I'll continue to play a handful of games with my kid as long as she stays interested. I've been really strict with my inclusion rules up to this point, but maybe I'll decide to lightly sprinkle in some +1/+1 counters or tokens in places where an archetype really needs the help.

(also one of each basic land)

Last edited:
I've put together a reboot of MTG Alpha:
https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/alpha-rebooted

This is pretty similar to the simplicity cubes, but in this one I'm thinking of it more like an actual MTG set list. In its current form, it has too many cards for an actual set, but I think the list is finally interesting enough to at least bump my cube thread.

I started playing back in 1994 when Revised edition was still widely available. I busted a number of Revised boosters and starters, and I remember how much fun it was to see a rare that I hadn't ever seen before. For example, the first time I ever saw Nevinyrral's Disk was when I pulled one in a pack. I was in disbelief the first time I read the text. I had to reread it a couple of times to convince myself that my blue deck could now blow everything up in a way that I thought only a white deck could. And blow up the board I did, many times...

With this set, I'm imagining a bit of that thrill of seeing new cards and realizing that Magic has some surprising effects on the rare cards like doubling your mana, killing any tapped creature, or taking an extra turn. So I've paid attention to the distribution of rares and the types of rares that I included.

I also wanted to put at least some of the original themes from Alpha. I have tribes, a few auras, and more artifacts than a normal set. I saw fit to include a handful of the original cards, but mostly they weren't what I wanted. I included a few defenders, but no walls. No color hosers - there just aren't very many color hosing cards that appeal to me. So yes, there are aspects of alpha that I've completely abandoned.

Many of the cards that we've gotten over the last 30 years look like the could have been in Alpha. That includes cards like Blinding Mage, Skilled Animator, Gravedigger, Wildfire, and Rampant Growth. I wanted these types of cards as much as possible, with regular fantasy flavor and no references to legends and planeswalkers.

I am keeping a typical (for me) set of simplicity requirements here. I left out stuff that I would be saving for future sets. Legendary cards and gold cards don't come out until legends. Split cards didn't show up until Invasion. And so on. I obviously went with a different set of inaugural keywords than the real Alpha Edition, but it's similarly limited.

Alpha only has one card that makes tokens (The Hive) and only three cards received +1/+1 counters. But I used more cards with those features, because they have become so ubiquitious that they're hard to avoid, and they're not very hard to grok. I did limit the types of tokens.

I'd like to keep everything to a 2015 frame, but I allowed in a few 2003 that I really wanted in the list.

Anyway, this was a project was chance to try to correct some of the mistakes of the first few editions. And there were so many!

The worst mistake, in my opinion, was watering down White with ten ward and circle of protection cards - yuck! White deserves better. There are some other striking problems, too. For example, blue has just three common creatures, none of which would ever be included in a modern day set. I can tell you from experience that if you were just starting out as a blue player, it was a bummer that you had to put Phantasmal Terrain in your deck so you could attack with your Sea Serpents and various other creatures with "islandhome." My signature plays were to walk in with tFishliver Oil on a fat creature or to use Animate Artifact on Aladdin's Lamp, because that's what I had. It was sick tech.

Other mistakes are bad cards that didn't need to be there or overpowered cards that overshadowed everything else. I tried to fix some of that.

There are imbalances that I'm aware of, and I'd like but I'm getting closer. Among other things, I've looked at the elo balance, now that CubeCobra lets you sort by that. This is an imperfect metric, but the results are interesting. That made me improve the power of red, because it was lagging. If you haven't ever sorted your cube by color and then by elo as a secondary sort, that might be worth a look.

Anyway, enjoy if you take a peek. If you think of any cards that would be great for this project, please post.

Last edited:
I've put together a reboot of MTG Alpha:
https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/alpha-rebooted

This is pretty similar to the simplicity cubes, but in this one I'm thinking of it more like an actual MTG set list. In its current form, it has too many cards for an actual set, but I think the list is finally interesting enough to at least bump my cube thread.
[...]

Anyway, enjoy if you take a peek. If you think of any cards that would be great for this project, please post.
Long time, no chat, Nemo! I am interested rebooting MTG with cards that have been designed as well! My fiddling was as such: https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/1o1uj . I was originally looking to make Serra Angel a viable wincon and not get into DFCs/planeswalkers/other card types; there was no real consideration for complexity.

I am excited to see how you intertwine the simplicity component with designing a stand-alone card pool! How are you expecting this card pool to be played? (It could be a good candidate for an ante league if it would be packaged like a "set cube".)

Set size: I think it is okay to be 400-500 cards large! 5th edition was ~450 cards.

Long time, no chat, Nemo! I am interested rebooting MTG with cards that have been designed as well! My fiddling was as such: https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/1o1uj . I was originally looking to make Serra Angel a viable wincon and not get into DFCs/planeswalkers/other card types; there was no real consideration for complexity.

I am excited to see how you intertwine the simplicity component with designing a stand-alone card pool! How are you expecting this card pool to be played? (It could be a good candidate for an ante league if it would be packaged like a "set cube".)

Set size: I think it is okay to be 400-500 cards large! 5th edition was ~450 cards.

Hi! I was kind of leaning toward a set cube with rarities in place, but I don't know. I like your version's description as a "fake constructed environment." That's the way the real Alpha set was, after all. Since I have no real aspirations of putting together a play group, this is more of a project to assemble my own version of Alpha as a fun project and just look at it when I'm done, and then add better fits to it as they're released over time.

Some of the card choices in your list are pretty wild. I got a chuckle out of Sacrifice being included. Yours definitely reads like a museum of magic history along with a demonstration of all the things the colors can do. Mine is less reverent to the past, since I'm wiping out the past and starting over.

I'm a little less obsessed with simplicity and word count in this list than in my other ones. I still think shorter is better, all else being equal, but weird / exciting / surprising cards are also an important part of the set, and they can be wordy as long as they don't include things like planeswalkers and sagas and adventures that didn't come out with Alpha.

I've done some more work with my list to balance out the rarities and iron out the power levels a little bit.