General Small Changes to MtG

Chris Taylor

Contributor
IDK makes for some weird eratta :p

yr5mva81zbyb1.png

Is this to be more sensitive to indigenous people in USA? AKA native people AKA indians AKA tribal people? That's the only reason I can think of.

I don't mean to be rude and I'm always for a more respectful and sensitive language, but I am curious:
- Why is the use of the word totem more problematic than e.g. graveyard?
- Why is the use of the word tribal more problematic than e.g. shaman or priest?
- What is the problem with Naga being a creature type?
- Why can't we have the Tarkir version of Rakshasa be cats? Don't they often do their own twist on mythological creatures like gnomes being robot like?

I don't mean to be rude and I'm always for a more respectful and sensitive language, but I am curious:
- Why is the use of the word tribal more problematic than e.g. shaman or priest?
- Why can't we have the Tarkir version of Rakshasa be cats? Don't they often do their own twist on mythological creatures like gnomes being robot like?
Maybe someone out there has an issue with these terms, but I've played with native kids at work and none of them seemed upset about anything. I think they're trying to appeal to a very small audience of people who would take issue with something where there's no real issue to be found. It seems they're operating out of an abundance of caution.

"In the original ‘Lessons Learned’ design blog post, published on June 19, Rosewater made a seemingly throwaway confirmation that ‘Tribal’ – a theme of “creature type mattering mechanically” – had been replaced in Wizards’ internal slang due to “numerous consultants” having “stressed that it carries negative connotations”."
Who knows where they're finding these consultants or what they were hired to do. You can pick apart anything if you want to get offended.

There's 30 cards with the name "Tribe," "Tribal," or "Totem" and I wonder if those will be deemed problematic.

I'd love to hear from someone who isn't playing devil's advocate and was genuinely upset and put off the game prior to any of these changes, but I suspect those people are extremely difficult to find.

At the end of the day, it doesn't impact anything, so I don't really care. I'll even errata All is Dust on my next proxy run if I remember.

landofMordor

Administrator
I recently visited the First Americans Museum in OKC. I really loved their stance on these kinds of questions, which I'll paraphrase: "Asking questions [like these] doesn't mean you're dumb or insensitive. It means you, like every part of Earth colonialism has touched, grew up in a culture of erasure. You weren't meant to know the answers to these questions. Being curious in this way is a first step in unlearning the erasure." Something like that.

I'll offer a perspective as somebody trying to unlearn this erasure myself, and as somebody who just read a museum's worth of info on indigenous Americans. (EDIT: I have added some more specifics in a follow-up post. Thanks, Mapi, for pointing out some oversights.)
A major part of many American Indian cultures (e.g. Choctaw, Chickasaw) is the belief that the "spirit" of people/animals/nature persists in the physical remains of that being. So, dress your kid up in a warm lynx-fur coat, and grant your child the "spirit" of the lynx to remain warm and also inhabit the lynx's ferocity (a real object I saw at the museum, complete with lynx-ears). Similar things were done with "tiger tails" worn at the small of the back during stickball games -- the tail's "spirit" inhabits the player when they have possession of the ball, i.e. to defend their territory like a fierce racoon or puma or w/e. These are all (afaik) "totems".

However, when the First Peoples were being genocided/erased/displaced (especially the 39 tribes that ended up in OK), white "historians" at the Smithsonians and Ivy League museums began collecting these artifacts, believing that Native cultures were close to being wiped out. (A racist and selfish conclusion, rather than simply, y'know, helping fight for Indian rights.) They often bought these items from immiserated and impoverished people at POW camps like Fort Sill, or the open-air concentration camp of Oklahoma, at fractions of what the items were worth (like, literally $25 inflation-adjusted USD for finely crafted heirlooms) -- to say nothing of their cultural value. They said things like, "Purchasing these items does the Indian good in two ways: 1) it gives them money when they need it, and 2) purchasing their old things makes the Indian less likely to go back to their old ways" (paraphrased from MR Harrington), i.e. that this was an intentional weapon to erase Native culture.

AND THEN, the owners of those artifacts put on mock peyote ceremonies for their white friends, and played dress-up in the ceremonial clothing of still-living people, as if they were just draping their towel like the toga of a long-dead Roman.

Magic's use of "totem armor" echoes some of these latter mistreatments of a sacred Native idea. Umbra Mystic has caged a part of nature; the "spirits" of nature are clearly shown behind her; her jewelry and beads are obvious on her wrists. Other "totem armor" arts clearly show that Magic conceives of "totems" in the Native-adjacent way of calling upon the attributes of the animal. So, calling these totems frames Umbra Mystic (and the player themself) as another "collector" like Harrington -- we're left to presume that the Natives are off-screen, languishing on Zendikar's Fort Sill, while the colonizer protagonists of the game are collecting the Native artifacts to wage righteous war against the Eldrazi.

So, it's not that "all religious terminology = bad". It's that an American toy company (that's headquartered on seized Native land) made cards where the level-one interpretation erases the Native cultural heritage of totems.

"Graveyards," by contrast, aren't etymologically attached to any specific religion, and don't carry this colonial baggage. But I guess it's a difference of degrees: if a new card's art and rules text show "Exile target creature card from a graveyard, then carry its skull to the University of Pennsylvania Museum to support psuedoscience about whites being biologically superior," then we're in trouble again.

Tribal is an adjective frequently (but not exclusively) used to associate a thing with the culture and identity of a group of Native people. "Tribal law," "tribal sovereignty," "tribal culture," "treaties with the 39 tribes" -- these are very common phrases in the American West and can carry immense present-day significance, as in the recent USSC decision McGirt V Oklahoma, which reinterpreted tribal jurisdiction.

But in Magic, "tribal" is trivialized (race or class is equated with tribe), not to mention the most frequently used "tribal" cards are for "subhuman" fantasy races like Goblins and Elves and Kithkin. This can easily be construed as white-supremacist-coded.

I can imagine alternative worlds where Magic uses the same Tribal mechanic, but simply chooses to do things like "Tribal - Mardu" or "Tribal - Golgari" instead of flattening it down into "your race is your tribe -- and btw tribal cards are exclusively nonhuman." And in that world, it's probably fine, much the same as the way Magic has treated Shaman or Priest. But that's not the world we live in. (And, btw, Shaman [a Russian-borrowed word for Turkish/Mongolian priests] and Cleric are both DND classes, and DND inspired Alpha, so Magic has never been shy about being a pulpy pastiche of European myth/fantasy. Again, a difference of degrees -- see later, too, for criticism of these tropes.)

Confusingly, it seems that not all of these errata are for inclusion/sensitivity. In this case, I think it's simply a Hound -> Dog type of change. Snakes are more ubiquitous and better-supported mechanically. It was confusing to me, too, because it was bundled alongside the inclusion errata.

I think this is somewhere between the extreme of "real cause for concern" and "mechanical QOL change". Rakshasa on Earth can look kinda cat-like, but aren't inherently cats. But Tarkir's demons are sometimes not cats and sometimes they are. So it might just be a confusion/forwards-compatibility thing (aren't we revisiting Tarkir soon?).

It seems they're operating out of an abundance of caution. ...

Who knows where they're finding these consultants or what they were hired to do.
PR disasters can really hurt WotC's bottom line (imagine if some of the flagrantly racist arts were still tournament-legal). Also worth noting, as you mention, that the PR consultants aren't really optimizing for true inclusivity; they're optimizing for enough progressive virtue signaling to please their core audience without getting the Bud Light treatment.
I'd love to hear from someone who isn't playing devil's advocate and was genuinely upset and put off the game prior to any of these changes, but I suspect those people are extremely difficult to find.
You don't need the presence of a stick for a carrot to be a reason to move, right?

I've not been oppressed in these ways, personally, but I can empathize with those hurt by the oppression that enabled these less-than-sensitive card designs in the first place. So I'm not sad to see them go, even if I know these are a far cry from actual equity/justice. Speaking of which...

Wizards baffles me. They are sensitive enough to avoid terms like witch, but not enough to do the same with the "wise Abuelo" wearing a "poncho".

Yeah. So, like, despite being overall approving of the way WotC's worked to increase inclusion, it's tempered with the knowledge that they're a for-profit capitalist behemoth. They couldn't even afford to distribute Magic worldwide if they weren't benefitting from the twin legacies of exploitation and colonialism. Hell, there wouldn't even be a "collectible card game" without the capitalist belief that everything is worth what someone will pay for it. WotC's corporate worldview (as communicated by their card designs) must justify WotC's existence as Good, and therefore, if you dig into Magic's lore deeply enough, it will always be reactionary and shallow.

For example, there's this demonstrated sensitivity to religions like Wicca and Buddhism, while Sanguine Sacrament and Glorifier of Dusk are OK because "it's only depicting Christianity as bloodsucking vampires". There's the superhero-like morality of the Gatewatch, where the planeswalkers just function like a SWAT team and solve all their problems with policing (if they're so powerful, why didn't they restructure Ravnican society so that the Golgari didn't need to revolt?) There's Urza, a techno-fascist. There's New Capenna, which perpetuates troubling myths about real-world organized crime, as Rhystic Studies has eloquently argued. And so on.

So... maybe it is both. Maybe these changes to Kindred and Umbra are both real improvements and also virtue signaling that doesn't change anything essential about WotC's exploitative business model. For me, the real challenge is how I ought to behave, once I perceive the paradox.

Last edited:
Magic's use of "totem armor" echoes some of these latter mistreatments of a sacred Native idea. Umbra Mystic has caged a part of nature; the "spirits" of nature are clearly shown behind her; her jewelry and beads are obvious on her wrists. Other "totem armor" arts clearly show that Magic conceives of "totems" in the Native-adjacent way of calling upon the attributes of the animal. So, calling these totems frames Umbra Mystic (and the player themself) as another "collector" like Harrington -- we're left to presume that the Natives are off-screen, languishing on Zendikar's Fort Sill, while the colonizer protagonists of the game are collecting the Native artifacts to wage righteous war against the Eldrazi.
Setting aside that I don't think any totem armor card obviously or even subtly associates the presence of the animal spirit with any physical object outside of Estrid, the Masked, even assuming that it did, I don't understand how you differentiate from mistreatment and proper treatment in this case. By your description of the tradition, it involves imbuing yourself with a spirit by wearing an item made from it. How do you differentiate from a collector and, well, mystic in attunement with numerous spirits. Although given that I can't see any of the totem armor cards depicting that, if anything I would assume the misrepresentation would be from eschewing that part, or perhaps the somewhat exploitative themes inherent to the gameplay mechanic of sacrificing the aura to protect yourself from harm.
But in Magic, "tribal" is trivialized (race or class is equated with tribe), not to mention the most frequently used "tribal" cards are for "subhuman" fantasy races like Goblins and Elves and Kithkin. This can easily be construed as white-supremacist-coded.

I can imagine alternative worlds where Magic uses the same Tribal mechanic, but simply chooses to do things like "Tribal - Mardu" or "Tribal - Golgari" instead of flattening it down into "your race is your tribe -- and btw tribal cards are exclusively nonhuman."
I think you're taking this a little far. It is largely coincidental that the set they introduced tribal in didn't have any humans, a mechanic they shelved pretty quickly afterwards with some rather exceptional exemptions. Bound in Silence, the first tribal card they printed, is a Rebel card, a class that overwhelmingly appears on Humans in the time spiral block. Not to mention that there are multiple tribal Elf cards in Lorwyn, the most explicitly white-supremacist-coded group in the multiverse. I really do not think there is much to suggest that there is some subconscious "otherizing" happening during the design of the tribal type. Even back during Onslaught they had Soldier and Cleric as major tribes alongside Goblins and Elves, and the reason given for why they didn't make Human tribal to my knowledge is largely because they just generally printed too many of them.

I think you're taking this a little far. It is largely coincidental that the set they introduced tribal in didn't have any humans, a mechanic they shelved pretty quickly afterwards with some rather exceptional exemptions. Bound in Silence, the first tribal card they printed, is a Rebel card, a class that overwhelmingly appears on Humans in the time spiral block. Not to mention that there are multiple tribal Elf cards in Lorwyn, the most explicitly white-supremacist-coded group in the multiverse. I really do not think there is much to suggest that there is some subconscious "otherizing" happening during the design of the tribal type. Even back during Onslaught they had Soldier and Cleric as major tribes alongside Goblins and Elves, and the reason given for why they didn't make Human tribal to my knowledge is largely because they just generally printed too many of them.
I think this is a "Cory in the House" situation where the explicit text isn't necessarily problematic, but the implicit implication could easily be seen that way.

For those of you who don't know, Cory in the House is a TV show about a kid who moves to the White House, and hijinks ensue. The titular character Cory, a black teenager, moves to the White House with his father, renowned Chef Victor Baxter. Victor was hired as the private chef for President Richard Matinez. While the main plot of the show itself isn't particularly problematic, basically everyone is nice to Cory and he makes a lot of friends, the general implications are kind of weird. Cory and his dad are the only black characters in the main cast; everyone else is either Anglo-white or white Latino. This wouldn't be a problem in of itself, except all of the White characters are from positions of power. Cory's best friend is the son of a Supreme Court justice, his main rival is the son of the CIA chief, and the child he babysits is the President's daughter. Even Cory's love interest, the only other person of color in the main cast outside of his father, is the wealthy daughter of the Ambassador of a fictional West Asian country. Cory and his dad are the only important black characters in the show, and yet they are subservient to all of the white people in their community. While there is an in-universe reason for this disparity beyond "society is racist," the fact that the only black characters are constantly at risk of being punished for perceived transgressions when none of the white characters really need to worry about such issues feels really weird when you're watching the show.

Essentially, even though the show isn't purposefully saying anything about race in the United States, it still does.

Just as a head's up, landofMordor — referring to the indigenous cultures of the Americas as if they were one big cultural block is, itself, a form of erasure, since it's implicitly very... "noble savage". In reality, there were a vast and diverse range of cultural beliefs, language families, political structures, and subsistence strategies across the continent. There's a reason that the polite thing to do is to specify which tribes you're talking about (or, barring that, what cultural region you're talking about — it still kinda makes sense to talk about cultural commonalities of the Great Plains peoples, for example).

Heck, when you can generalize, you're usually making generalizations that extend far beyond the Americas — "the remains of something still carries the virtues that thing had when it was alive" is an incredibly common belief, which is why, say, Catholics love keeping around the corpse-bits of their holy dead. Sometimes we like decorating the insides of churches with them, too!

Not to say that your post wasn't kinda right (100% right in terms of the genocidal shit that oftentimes get brushed under the carpet), or that your heart was in the wrong place, but this is a very complicated topic and sometimes our first attempts to be better aren't exactly good. Practice makes perfect, though!

The Naga change is because, as far as Hindu beliefs go, nagas are just spiritually-enlightened snakes. Now we just need them to change Samurai to Knight and Ninja to Rogue, and I'll be happy. :p

Also, I just want to say that, as a (pretty lax) Roman Catholic, the "what if Catholics but vampires?" thing doesn't bother me because holy shit is that an easy comparison to make. Like, part of our weekly religious practice is symbolically consuming blood in a ritual fashion — if that doesn't say "Vampire" to you then I'm not sure what does. And it's not like they're going to hire cultural sensitivity people for Christianity, because modern Western culture has marinated in Christianity for nearly two thousand years, and anyone writing in that context already knows what to avoid (or what buttons to push — Piss Christ, anyone?).

landofMordor

Administrator
Just as a head's up, landofMordor — referring to the indigenous cultures of the Americas as if they were one big cultural block is, itself, a form of erasure, since it's implicitly very... "noble savage".
Thanks for calling me out and holding me to a higher standard! I was not sensitive enough to this nuance for precisely the reasons you mentioned. I will try to correct myself below, and do better in the future. <3

I was restating what I learned at the First Amercians Museum, at an exhibit created by the 39 tribes that live in Oklahoma, about their experiences during the early 1900s.

When I talked about the tribes whose artifacts were expropriated by Harrington under duress, I refer to the tribes he visited from about 1907-1914 in Oklahoma (OK). He made special visits to the OK lands of the Apache, Caddo, Sioux, Choctaw, Chickasaw, Sac & Fox, Peoria, Delaware, Kiowa, and many other tribes (the exhibit displayed at least 3 objects for each tribe, 144 items total.) I read about the concept of "spirits" while viewing artifacts of the Choctaw and Chickasaw, and beyond the Native curator's assurances that these beliefs were commonplace, I can't say anything much more specific about which tribes did or did not hold these beliefs about "spirit"/"totems".
Not to say that your post wasn't kinda right (100% right in terms of the genocidal shit that oftentimes get brushed under the carpet), or that your heart was in the wrong place, but this is a very complicated topic and sometimes our first attempts to be better aren't exactly good. Practice makes perfect, though!
Indeed! Here's to practice.

(Separately, I'm learning about teaching strategies in college settings -- a major component of a continual-growth mindset is being allowed to fail and learn from one's mistakes, so I am deeply grateful for your patience and empathy in correcting me.)

Also, I just want to say that, as a (pretty lax) Roman Catholic, the "what if Catholics but vampires?" thing doesn't bother me because holy shit is that an easy comparison to make. Like, part of our weekly religious practice is symbolically consuming blood in a ritual fashion — if that doesn't say "Vampire" to you then I'm not sure what does. And it's not like they're going to hire cultural sensitivity people for Christianity, because modern Western culture has marinated in Christianity for nearly two thousand years, and anyone writing in that context already knows what to avoid (or what buttons to push — Piss Christ, anyone?).
In the end, Ixalan is just a collection of stereotypes. Spaniards are bloodthirsty religious fanatics while Aztecs, Mayans and Incans are blended together to create a noble savage merfolk. The religious angle draws heavily from the American tradition of anticatholic bigotry, which includes Spaniards but also Latin Americans, Italians and the Irish. Even the whole exploration angle cribbed from The Lost World and Indiana Jones is a South American stereotype.

To me it's just shallow and, well, little more than prejudice. It's like how Hollywood films Mexico with a yellow tint and the lower classes are depicted as chain-smoking slobs wearing a stained wife beater. The fact that this is sold to us as inclusiveness is also kind of galling because they don't seem to have learned anything. They have just traded their set of socially acceptable prejudices.

Edit: This is not to say I'm extremely offender or that this is beyond problematic, I just find it lazy and tiring.

Last edited:
Oh, yeah, it's definitely lazy. Though I will say that:

1. Describing the Conquistadors as "bloodthirsty religious fanatics" is actually fairly accurate, though the consensus is that their religion helped put the brakes on the worst excesses.
  2. The Sun Empire is the one that's an Aztec/Quechua mash-up — Merfolk are very much noble savages with Mayan vibes.
  3. From experience, American anticatholic bigotry doesn't look like Ixalan's vampires. It's way more focused on the idea that it's the immigrant form of Christianity and that practitioners are weird polytheistic heretics that worship the Pope and can't be trusted. See, for example, how John F. Kennedy had to reassure people that he wasn't going to turn the US into a Vatican puppet-state while he was campaigning.
  4. Fuck Indiana Jones — all my homies hate Indiana Jones. The entire archaeological profession is very annoyed that the public stereotype for their profession is a brutish, thieving graverobber, because they've spent actual literal decades trying to be better than that.

In general, though, most commercial world-building exercises tend to lean heavily on lazy stereotypes (or will confidently blunder past the lazy stereotypes into different stereotypes). It doesn't help that large companies are looking for a rubber stamp on whatever they came up with rather than actual understanding, which is a problem when this is an area where people who are trying hard to be respectful still fall into traps. Shit is complicated.

Oh, yeah, it's definitely lazy. Though I will say that:

1. Describing the Conquistadors as "bloodthirsty religious fanatics" is actually fairly accurate, though the consensus is that their religion helped put the brakes on the worst excesses.
  2. The Sun Empire is the one that's an Aztec/Quechua mash-up — Merfolk are very much noble savages with Mayan vibes.
  3. From experience, American anticatholic bigotry doesn't look like Ixalan's vampires. It's way more focused on the idea that it's the immigrant form of Christianity and that practitioners are weird polytheistic heretics that worship the Pope and can't be trusted. See, for example, how John F. Kennedy had to reassure people that he wasn't going to turn the US into a Vatican puppet-state while he was campaigning.
  4. Fuck Indiana Jones — all my homies hate Indiana Jones. The entire archaeological profession is very annoyed that the public stereotype for their profession is a brutish, thieving graverobber, because they've spent actual literal decades trying to be better than that.

In general, though, most commercial world-building exercises tend to lean heavily on lazy stereotypes (or will confidently blunder past the lazy stereotypes into different stereotypes). It doesn't help that large companies are looking for a rubber stamp on whatever they came up with rather than actual understanding, which is a problem when this is an area where people who are trying hard to be respectful still fall into traps. Shit is complicated.
Well, if a stereotype has been used for some time, then the ones not hurt by that stereotype can get upset when one stops using that stereotype. There were riots in the Netherlands about part of the Sinterklaas myth (from which Santa Claus is derived). The Dutch version of krampus, called Piet, was /could be interpreted as quite racist. The funny thing is that the racist part was not that old. Still riots happened when people wanted to get rid of the racist parts.

In other words, sometimes you do it wrong no matter what you do. For some it was not racist and they did not want to change it.

Lara Croft is less annoying because at least she's openly just some rich person doing some graverobbing for fun — she's morally reprehensible, but eh.

Indiana Jones is aggravating because he's basically what you'd get if you turned the British Museum into a person, and the movies try to represent him as if he was straightforwardly heroic.

Indiana Jones is aggravating because he's basically what you'd get if you turned the British Museum into a person, and the movies try to represent him as if he was straightforwardly heroic.
I'm not going to sit here and defend Indiana Jones's poor archaeological practices, although I do think the whole "preventing the Nazis from acquiring Magical superweapons" thing is pretty heroic no matter how you slice it.

People opposing you does not mean what you did was wrong
My choice of words was not what I meant. The thing is, sometimes people will get upset no matter what you do. What is accepted changes over time. Sometimes something meaning changes a lot, e.g., a swastika. Banning all swastikas would be something that many religions would not like. At the same time, it is severely hurtful for many people.