Card/Deck The Azorius Senate (WU)

Azorius feels a little bland to me, when it comes to interesting cards. Maybe it is because white and blue have so much in common, so the gold cards don't offer much, you can't have in either color alone easily

What are you running in your Azorius sections? What themes/archetypes do you support? Did you have some surprising successes? What do you want the Azorius Senate to do?

________

My current choices are:

Some consider the Guildmage a white card, but the blue ability is sometimes really useful andhas decided a game before. Sweet flexible card I'm not interested in cutting.
Skyknight is another one, that goes in many decks. Good aggressive flyer with a useful EtB, but not irreplacable. In theory.
Brago is an archetype signal and a reason to go for the WUx Blink deck. Staple for me.
Isperia is about to be replaced. I love the art, the flavor and have some nostalgia for her, but she never really excites anyone in a cube draft.

A hybrid 1-drop, that is playable in control decks. Not much competition for this bird though.

Fill out application 3.1 under paragraph 2 and tell me which Azorius Cards you're running.

Old school card this is good in slower lower powered environments is

It slows down your opponent and speeds up what you are doing. Flavorful and cool.

I'm running mostly control support/power cards. I suppose it's boring but this is what UW does well and I feel cubes needs some level of control support. I sort of dig the fact that verdict is a wrath in the color I'd like to be about wraths. Can't ask for a better signaling card.

Has played very well in the blink role while serving double duty as a component of the more-draw-discard-based suite I run.

Anybody had any luck with
?

The Obligatory

Because UW Aggro is what the fellow kids are doing these days.

I cut Lyev Skyknight for Reflector Mage, but it is one of my absolute favs U/W card. I might cut Judge Familiar for it sometime soon, mostly because it seems like my blue section is missing some 3-drop humans.

Also, I like this:

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
As someone whose main U/W theme is heroic, Moorland Haunt is my favorite as it gives those decks a nice stream of bodies to enchant in case plan fails. Ephara, God of the Polis is cool too, but usually weak. Geist of Saint Traft in unnecessarily powerful with the cards I run, but it might be cool in other lists. Battlewise Hoplite is solid filler. Spell Queller is pretty strong, but probably fine, I might try it in my soft counter suite. Sphinx's Revelation is fine if you want to hamfist power to a certain style of deck, but I don't like how it can sometimes just completely overpower silly engine decks by itself. I don't like many U/W cards.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I used to think Azorius was bland too, but Commander 2017 has added two cards that actually make me excited for the color. Not that Azorius is a thing in my cube, but hey, I would snap include these two if it was!

@ahadabans: I love Augustin IV in my Ravnica cube, but the problem with him and the whole cycle is imo, that they encourage you to not play a third color, which makes them less flexible.

My favourite: (even though it's hybrid)

Oh my god, I just realized the combo potential with Swans and Wildfire/Destructive Force etc.
I'm not quite willing to cut Judge's Familiar now, but at least when I can finally expand my hybrid section to 2/guild, this has to go in.

Anybody had any luck with
?

I want to second this question. And I want to add: Is this card good in control?
I want it to be playable in a classic WUx Control deck with Counterspell, Rout, Compulsive Research and Pacifism.

@ahadabans: I love Augustin IV in my Ravnica cube, but the problem with him and the whole cycle is imo, that they encourage you to not play a third color, which makes them less flexible.

Oh my god, I just realized the combo potential with Swans and Wildfire/Destructive Force etc.
I'm not quite willing to cut Judge's Familiar now, but at least when I can finally expand my hybrid section to 2/guild, this has to go in.

I want to second this question. And I want to add: Is this card good in control?
I want it to be playable in a classic WUx Control deck with Counterspell, Rout, Compulsive Research and Pacifism.

Lets not ignore the known quantity that is Swans +

A tiny part of me wants to run Swans purely to see this happen once someday.

I'm trying Migratory Route out in place of Ojutai's Command, which is just meh, and kinda stacked up alongside other similar effects. And Route is Alfonzo's favorite UW card :). Unsure exactly how good it'd be in control. It generates a lot of blockers/flying attackers for one card, and modal spells are always nice for control decks. I suspect better in less "classic" builds that don't want to be keeping mana up 24/7.

Okay, I'm convinced, I will bring up replacing Isperia with Route as soon as possiple. Thanks guys.

But since we are talking favorite {W}{U}-cards, does nobody have some love for King Brago around here? That guy has job security in my cube for eternities. You can have so much fun with him, abuse all your EtB Triggers, reuse your mana rocks, untap your attackers to block. And worst case scenario it's still 2/4 flying vigilance, which is fine to buy you a little time to find your Man-o'-Wars and Master Splicers and combo off. I would have expected him to be rather popular around here too.

Okay, I'm convinced, I will bring up replacing Isperia with Route as soon as possiple. Thanks guys.

But since we are talking favorite {W}{U}-cards, does nobody have some love for King Brago around here? That guy has job security in my cube for eternities. You can have so much fun with him, abuse all your EtB Triggers, reuse your mana rocks, untap your attackers to block. And worst case scenario it's still 2/4 flying vigilance, which is fine to buy you a little time to find your Man-o'-Wars and Master Splicers and combo off. I would have expected him to be rather popular around here too.

Overkill imo. If the UW deck is already operating nominally, he will add an enormous amount of value for little effort. Yeah he's a good signal into that deck, but he quickly takes away the game. I want my blink effects to require slightly more input than "repeat every ETB on your field every turn. Also ramp you." Aforementioned Vanish into Memory has been well received as his replacement here.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
To be honest, Swans is really a UR card.

Oh, anyway, maybe this isn't the time to debate it, but I don't think it matters at all how many cards you have per hybrid section, or per multi-color section. Having too many, or too few, will change the way your cube plays out, that's true. But I really think having the same number for each "section" is pointless.

(Rasmus runs it, but didn't mention it ...so I guess I'll give the spiel.)

Unassuming, but I've been quite happy with this. I run a higher powered cube, so I imagine it could do great things in the generally lower powered cubes here--especially because it fits well with a lot of the common themes/archetypes people support. I'm guessing it hasn't gotten as much love because multicolored slots are limited (I run a deeper "multicolored" section so I can afford more oddballs). But if you're not strict with number balancing or want to try new stuff, it's worth a look.

Feeling of Dread hits that sweet spot of being good in both aggressive and controlling decks. Flexibility, yay!

• It's not hard to see why aggressive decks would appreciate the tap effect. It's like a double unconditional removal spell. Twice!
• In generic UW flyer decks, it gets extra power when fewer blockers matter.
• A lot of us design our blue aggressive sections around ninjas/saboteurs. Bam! This fits perfectly.
• For those supporting heroic themes (or even if you have only 1-2 heroic creatures), this has incidental value targeting your own creatures. Twice!

• And of course, being two spells is especially sweet for spells matter decks (both aggro and control). I find Feeling of Dread particularly elegant for spells matter decks (moreso in higher powered cubes) because it's a sideways power tradeoff. Normally you just stuff spells matter decks with more removal or card draw spells and it's not all that sweet or techy. Those are strong cards anyway. You build normal cube decks with them anyway. But with Feeling of Dread, you're trading raw generic power for specific archetype power. That feels so much more satisfying.

• In pure control decks, it plays a lot like Moment's Peace, which we've thrown around a lot as a card worth considering. Granted, it was often in the context of graveyard archetypes, which are more often green than white making Moment's Peace a better fit. On the other hand, Feeling of Dread is in a color with sweepers, which it supports so well. It says it right on the card: please extend further to make progress.

Oh gosh, forgot some really awesome recent ones.

Not having Azorius in my cube makes me a bit blind to this color pair, but these three cards are awesome additions to its roster on the lower end of the power scale.

I've been playing around with a tokens theme for {W}{U}, which both Aven Wind Guide and Temmet, Vizier of Naktamun play nicely in. Very pleased with those two gold cards. I also had Fractured Identity in, but it was a little goodstuffy for my tastes, so it's on the bench (but could very well come back later).