The BEST Jumpstart Cube

EDIT: This thread has been repurposed on page 2.
I'm leaving everything up because it's still potentially useful for someone.

BRAIN vs BRAWN on a budget
This theme originally came from another color-imbalanced cube idea. Instead of being favored to one color like The Black Cube, this idea favors both blue and green. The idea of the cube-turned-Jumpstart is to pit the spell-heavy forces of blue against the creature-heavy armies of green. The two being enemy colors enables a bit of color hate, as well.

Black has been cut because A: I already run all the coolest black cards in my main cube and B: I wanted blue and green to be opposing colors, which could only be done with a 4 color environment. The supported colors are U, G, Uw, rU, Gr, wG, rUw, and rGw.

The Jumpstarts will be kept fairly budget unless something is totally necessary. This will help me keep my power level lower and also not make me as nervous about my cards being stolen or spilled on or whatever else.

Modified Jumpstarts:
WOTC has players open 3-4 packs of 20 cards, choose 2 packs, mash them together, and play.

I'll have players open 3-4 packs (depends on packs available) of 25 cards, choose 2 packs, cut their deck down to 40 cards, and then play. This bit of customization should make the final decks a lot smoother while not costing much time.

Last edited:
{W/U}AZORIUS{W/U}

{R/G}GRUUL{R/G}

{G/W}SELESNYA{G/W}

Changed theme of the format, as detailed in first post. Not using the most flexible fixing (Thrivings, Vivids) because I don't thematically want to enable anything GUx without the players having to pay for it.

Added seven new packs. All packs are alphabetized within their color. Irrelevant now, as they're all new, but will help later.

If you have any pet decks in the available colors, let me know and I'll see if I can make it happen.

Thinking 6 of each mono, 4 each guild, 2 each triplet = 32 decks. Could change.

Just perused your RG madness list... Flameblade Adept is a HOUSE of a red one-drop! What an awesome pivot card. Imagine running him with Astral Drift and Outpost Siege and some cyclers... a GOOD TIME to be had!

Just perused your RG madness list... Flameblade Adept is a HOUSE of a red one-drop! What an awesome pivot card. Imagine running him with Astral Drift and Outpost Siege and some cyclers... a GOOD TIME to be had!
He's nice because I'm aiming to keep this nonland singleton, so he's a perfect fit that doesn't take away from other decks.

are you keeping it non-black on purpose? or do you intend to make black decks later?
Nonblack on purpose.

"I wanted blue and green to be opposing colors, which could only be done with a 4 color environment. The supported colors are U, G, Uw, rU, Gr, wG, rUw, and rGw."

From the OP.

Any thoughts to including

Instead of Warleader's Helix? Seems like a good opportunity to sneak in a combat trick!
There's a pretty good chance I go with Naya or Jeskai Heroic as another deck and I'd expect this to make the cut there.

EDIT: Or maybe I'll have one Boros deck, which will be Heroic. There's good U and G cards for it, but it's a primarily Boros theme. I was considering one White and one Red deck, as well. Something white and probably Burn as a versatile Red deck.

Added:
GR
8post with Bad Threats
Enrage

Naya
Mayael

And that makes 6 GR, 6 GW, 2 Naya, 4 G = 18 decks. Time to head to the blue half of the battle.

I've noticed there's a lot of color hate cards I haven't been utilizing, mainly because they aren't on-theme, so the paper versions will be slightly different than what you see here to fit a couple hate cards in where appropriate. Mystical Dispute in a control deck, Rushwood Dryad in an aura or aggro deck, etc. All of the red decks are likely to pick up 1-2 burn spells if there's any room, as burn is universally useful, but I'm not going to look at it while designing every single deck.

Added:
WU
Auroic
Blink
Entombment of a Machine
Fliers
Spirits
Tempered Steel

A little worried that Auroic and Steel may be too isolated from the other decks. Need to thread more enchantments and artifacts through the other decks later, as well as artifacts in future blue decks.

Also concerned that Fliers and Spirits are too similar. What do you guys think? Is there anyone out there?

I want to add a control deck that gets to use Rev, but I wanted 6 2c decks, so I'll have to cut one or go over the limit. I do feel that, even though these decks are blue, everything I've got here is trying to be a fast deck and that may be a problem.

Went ahead and added:
WU
Revelation
Really wanted to see Rev get some use and have control present. WIll just have 7 WU decks for now rather than delete one.

i think Fliers is an easier deck to mash up than Spirits, though you could certainly run a bunch of spirits in your fliers deck.
also big props for getting Sphinx’s Rev into the mix.

i think Fliers is an easier deck to mash up than Spirits, though you could certainly run a bunch of spirits in your fliers deck.
also big props for getting Sphinx’s Rev into the mix.

It seems the most likely cut if I strictly keep to 6. I figure there's a chance for expanding in the future. More decks seems better than fewer.