1 Shivan Reef
SB: 2 Empty the Warrens
SB: 4 Thoughtseize
SB: 2 Molten Slagheap
SB: 2 Ignite Memories
SB: 2 Dismember
SB: 2 Reforge the Soul
SB: 2 Into the Roil
CML needs to get his Martyr-loving statist ass in here so I can sing odes to Vizkopa Guildmage.

CML

Contributor
nah wrath is a natural fit. f em and their creatures. like soul sisters has a rough time coming back from being behind and this kind of reset button is very good as a stabilizer early on for non-martyr hands v. aggro and as a oops-i-win kind of thing later on against whatever. back in the heyday of combo pod and splinter twin it was even good with blind obedience. i was gonna type that it's also good against melira pod but then i realized we just always lose anyway

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I was waiting at city hall this morning and had the urge to build a terrible modern deck around the following:

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I had thought about Joraga Treespeaker and Burning-Tree Emissary too, but uh.. eh. The whole deck seems pretty eh. What I'll actually start doing is directing my Magic funds towards the UWR staples. Probably. I would love to play a Shaman / Cobra deck, but playing green in modern seems like a losing proposition if you don't have the funds for Tarmogoyf.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, that's much less gimmicky than what I was thinking. I do wonder if there's room for Vexing Devils and Varolz in a list like that.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
The best home for Varolz is probably something like:

4 Varolz
4 Ranger of Eos
4 Death's Shadow
1 Hex Parasite

With Thoughtseize, Dismember etc.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I have the store credit to be able to finish off this deck at the start of the month:
9dgicVx.png

I think I'll start with Modern there and slowly pick up the cards for the Geist UWR deck.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Sam Black is awesome.

To troll people in Legacy, I recommend:

4 Show and Tell
4 Progenitus
4 Griselbrand
1 Worldspine Wurm
4 Nefarious Lich
4 Nourishing Shoal
4 Dark Ritual
4 Brainstorm
2 Ponder
2 Lim-Dul's Vault
1 Sickening Dreams
3 Thoughtseize

4 Lotus Petal
1 Chrome Mox
4 Ebon Stronghold/Peat Bog
4 Polluted Delta
3 Bloodstained Mire
3 Underground Sea
1 Swamp
<lands>

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Err, scrap the Revelation list. I don't want to buy Cryptics and Revelations right now. In the meantime, I can throw together a crappy Tribal Flames list without buying any cards I don't need for the eventual UWR Geist deck:

Tribal:
4 Arid Mesa
2 Misty Rainforest
2 Scalding Tarn
2 Marsh Flats
2 Verdant Catacombs
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Temple Garden
1 Stomping Ground
1 Steam Vents
1 Blood Crypt
1 Godless Shrine
1 Plains
1 Mountain
1 Forest

4 Kird Ape
4 Steppe Lynx
3 Deathrite Shaman
4 Snapcaster Mage
4 Geist of Saint Traft
2 Qasali Pridemage

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lightning Helix
4 Path to Exile
4 Tribal Flames
2 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

CML

Contributor
Hi guys I scrubbed the Invi due to jet-lag, idiocy, bad luck etc. so I'm back in here to theorycraft

I think 5c Zoo is OK in modern, though I definitely want 2-3 Ghor-Clan Rampager. Melira Pod is a bad and pervasive matchup (and the best shell for Varolz, you goofs -- sac outlets at 1/2/3), so ideally the Ooze will keep em in check. Also play 4 Deathrites man come on. Some amount of Loam Lion might also be right

Probably best not to play fair Blue in Modern

Dom's decks are magnificent

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I think 5c Zoo is OK in modern, though I definitely want 2-3 Ghor-Clan Rampager. Melira Pod is a bad and pervasive matchup (and the best shell for Varolz, you goofs -- sac outlets at 1/2/3), so ideally the Ooze will keep em in check. Also play 4 Deathrites man come on. Some amount of Loam Lion might also be right

Yeah, the idea behind 5C Zoo was to spend $0 on cards that I don't need for UWR and have a deck for a month. Unfortunately it looks like my article this week is getting bumped to Thursday (read: next month), so I won't have the credit to build the zoo deck. A 4th Deathrite would have required buying a 4th Deathrite.

Also, there's no room for Loam Lion with Deathrite around. The CFB Player's Championship version played 10 1-drops (4 Ape, 4 Lynx, 2 Loam Lion), but something has to go to make room for Deathrites.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
How awful is it to play the wrong fetchlands in Modern? i.e. running 2 Scalding Tarn + 2 Misty Rainforest in UWR instead of 4 Scalding Tarn

Dom Harvey

Contributor
It's not good if you're actually in those colours. It's especially bad for something like Twin, where paying 3 life instead of 1 to get your third R for Kiki or w/e might actually matter.