The Film Thread

So last night I watched Nymphomaniac with a friend, and as expected, Lars Von Trier made me feel very uncomfortable. Has anyone else seen this?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Do you guys have a favorite film? I was talking about it with some friends, who find it odd that I have no movie that I would adorn with the label "favorite".

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Do you guys have a favorite film? I was talking about it with some friends, who find it odd that I have no movie that I would adorn with the label "favorite".

As in a single favorite? I have a bunch of movies I will cherish forever, but a single favorite? Let me say 'Batteries Not Included' for the moment, but tomorrow it might be 'Legends of the Fall', or 'Donnie Darko', or 'Memento', or 'Inception', or 'Unbreakable' (I watched it alone, sitting on the ground, while it was dark and raining hard outside), or something else entirely (like 'Stardust' or 'Big Fish').

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Nope. But when I asked my brain the question it said "Gitaxian Probe". I don't think that's my favorite but that was what popped out.

What I'm trying to say is you probably have a few movies you like, a favorite genre, but not necessarily a consistent favorite single movie because you don't really focus on it a great deal

As in a single favorite? I have a bunch of movies I will cherish forever, but a single favorite? Let me say 'Batteries Not Included' for the moment, but tomorrow it might be 'Legends of the Fall', or 'Donnie Darko', or 'Memento', or 'Inception', or 'Unbreakable' (I watched it alone, sitting on the ground, while it was dark and raining hard outside), or something else entirely (like 'Stardust' or 'Big Fish').
See? :p

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Just for other things I am able to short-list it much easier. Well, in general I'm relatively bad at picking favorites. With movies I generally feel like... "People expect me to list a Wes Anderson film."

I've always said that Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is my favorite movie, but if I really were to think about it that might not be true anymore. I like the short list plan:

Fear and Loathing
Star Wars
Antichrist
Pan's Labyrinth
Team America
Spirited Away

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Pulp Fiction is probably my favourite, mostly for the reason that it's the movie I've gone back and rewatched the most.

I think I've watched Kiki's Delivery Service like 20 times in my life. I swear that movie was on TV like every 3 months throughout my childhood.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Man I just saw Kiki's delivery service the other day! It was one of the only Miyazaki ones I hadn't seen. I think... Ponyo might be the only one left now.

I used to say Blade Runner was my favorite film, but I'm not sure now. I think favorite director is a better question. I'll go with Terry Gilliam.

Wes Anderson has mostly been a force for good, I feel, but having seen almost all (or all) his films now I find them really really samey. Grand Budapest Hotel was great but he really has to switch things up next time.

Anybody seen Birdman? I'm not sure what to think. It has all the qualities of a film I would find amazing, but I didn't feel that impressed. The film centers on the main character's various dramas and relationships, but none of that was very interesting at all.

The film I was most impressed with recently was Donnie Brasco. That was a really fantastic film. It had characters! Not a straightforward story! Moral choices! That were difficult!

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I saw kikis delivery service on five occasions, but only because my girlfriend and I fell asleep four times while attempting to watch it.

Just for other things I am able to short-list it much easier. Well, in general I'm relatively bad at picking favorites. With movies I generally feel like... "People expect me to list a Wes Anderson film."
His movies are so awkward. It's like "Well... I guess this is how people live when they are white and have more money than sense? I'm not sure I needed that information." Moonrise Kingdom wasn't terrible. Mr Fox was so whatever. Listen to famous people yelling while fox puppets blink at one another!

Generally I find stand-up comedy to be more real, interesting, and relevant than movies.

Modern Times and The Great Dictator would definitely be my favorite movies though. Couldn't get all the way through Metropolis, but I was pretty sloshed at the time.

Wes Anderson has mostly been a force for good, I feel, but having seen almost all (or all) his films now I find them really really samey. Grand Budapest Hotel was great but he really has to switch things up next time.
I was saying this exactly to my dad when I last talked with him. I'm glad to see someone else feels this way. I do think he's great at what he does, though.

Terry Gilliam would be my instinctive pick as well. I thought that The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus was hugely underrated. I've heard that Zero Theorem is good but haven't gotten around to seeing it yet.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I thought that The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus was hugely underrated.
Not by me, that movie was very entertaining and interesting.

Then again, I thought Sucker Punch was very entertaining and interesting, and I haven't gotten the feeling many people agreed with me on that.

I just watched an episode of Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego, because I couldn't remember who Rockapella was and I needed a brush-up.

The drama was pretty low, but the pacing was good. That last question is worth far too many points - White Kid was having a rough time throughout the show, then blew up Least-Awful-Hair Kid on the strength of just one question. The right kid made it to the Run-around-while-police-sirens-scare-the-shit-out-of-you Round, at least. The clock on that round seems pretty aggressive. What if a kid with asthma tried to play? Can't you just give the winning kid a ticket? The booby prizes are pretty bunkus.

(This thing where you can watch Youtub vids at 25% faster speed makes me a lot more willing to check out something potentially tedious)