Card/Deck The Selesnya Conclave (GW)

Selesnya is an interesting guild. Green and white have a lot in common, and still you can build {G}{W}-decks in a lot of different ways. My selesnya section is kinda messy, with some pet cards I probably shouldn't run, so I'm curious to hear what you guys run there.

What are you running in your Selesnya sections? What themes/archetypes do you support? Did you have some surprising successes? What do you want the Selesnya Conclave to do?

________

My current choices are:

- Probably then best Guildmage from the original ravnica cycle with two good abilities. Playable in aggressive decks, but the real MVP when the games go long and the mana pools grow big. Staple for me.
- We loved this Watchwolf as kids and it's somehow still in there. Probably shouldn't be, but it's so beautiful.
- Hierarch is a nice midrange card, not irreplaceable but also nothing I'm looking forward to replace.
- Tolsimir is another pet card, that is pervforming decent always, but maybe we should rethink this slot.

This hybrid is an easy staple. Finks would be too much value for my meta and hybrid aggro 1-drops are just great.

Gather the community and let them tell which Selesnya-cards they are running.

I've recently been exploring cards that either change the rules of the game or alter the normal course of play and Mirri is one of interest because it requires you to work in order to gain its effect.

Also, through the use of vehicles, artifacts such as Springleaf Drum and other cards that result in unexpected tap downs, its second ability enables interesting decision points pre-combat and counteracts some of Blue & White's tap down effects.

Looks very boring.

Love Qasali and Knight, and as much as I like the Rallier somehow, he doesn't seem to be strong enough to be in the same slot as the Knight.
What do you people think?

I've recently been exploring cards that either change the rules of the game or alter the normal course of play and Mirri is one of interest because it requires you to work in order to gain its effect.

Also, through the use of vehicles, artifacts such as Springleaf Drum and other cards that result in unexpected tap downs, its second ability enables interesting decision points pre-combat and counteracts some of Blue & White's tap down effects.

Sounds interesting, do you have a list?

I’m going to be that guy.

I love this card. I’m not normally a fan of prison effects, but this card by itself creates a green/white control archetype that revolves around tokens. I’m enamoured with any control archetype that doesn’t include blue, so that’s how I justify it to myself when I wouldn’t touch Opposition with a 10 foot pole. Other than that I run

They’re mostly value cards that can double as tricksy combo effects. I like that kind of thing better than your traditional “little kid” decks.

EDIT - I fixed it!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

Fixed! Our image source loves curly quotes! [/sarcasm]

I ran Glare for a long, long time. I even tried to fix it once I determined it was too obnoxious, but even the nerfed card proved to be too good. I love the effect, I even love playing with it, but it was making my players miserable, so it had to go.

My favorites are

The first should come as no surprise. Mirri is a nice kitty cat, even better with vehicles. Sylvan Reclamation is a super flexible removal spell, either it fixes your mana, or you really git your opponent gud (like when I exiled an opponent's vehicle and another artifact creature after he tried crewing the vehicle before declare blockers in one game).

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
So is mirri not obnoxiously powerful?
No, not at all. She's not that to remove, and she's not really all that hard to block either. I mean, her and Glare of Subdual aren't a pretty pair, but whose fault is that really? In my experience Mirri has been a fun card that adds some board control to GW decks, but I would still pick Knight of the Reliquary over her.

Fixed! Our image source loves curly quotes! [/sarcasm]

I ran Glare for a long, long time. I even tried to fix it once I determined it was too obnoxious, but even the nerfed card proved to be too good. I love the effect, I even love playing with it, but it was making my players miserable, so it had to go.

Did you have many ways to kill the Glare in your cardpool / did they often make it maindeck?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Did you have many ways to kill the Glare in your cardpool / did they often make it maindeck?
Enough that you'ld always be able to run one maindeck, though red and black obviously had no answers, and blue had to resort to bounce then counter. The main problems are that the best answers to Glare are in its own colors, and that {G/W} has an easy time to put out more bodies than most other color combinations, making it very easy to leverage Glare.

Thinking about GW lately and wondering what you guys think on a legendary theme. Historic can tie it into a UW artifact theme and there were a couple more equips than this that I left out, but RW equip of some sort could tie in as well. GW has always felt so generic to me, but this is generic with a twist lol.

Choose any 2-3 legends plus Sisay for the multicolor cards:

The payoffs can easily branch into other decks, for the most part.

These are pretty borderline, as they're mono lands, but maybe someone still does a utility land draft.

Thematic removal, for kicks

If you run walkers, this opens up a lot. I'm not currently big on them. The new ones look much more balanced and may get a try eventually, though.

I like it. I used to love captain sisay the first time round, so a light theme here would be pretty good. Saffi and teshar together seem good as well. Not sure about the artifacts and lands though. If was going for an equipment it would be

For sure. It wasn't an exhaustive list. There was actually more than I thought there would be when I looked. And then obviously there's a ton of mono colored legend options. There are also options higher on the curve if you wanted to push the deck into midrange or control, but I typically think of GW as aggro-midrange. It might be more appropriate to slide the deck up the curve a little bit for Sisay.

Maul is pretty sweet because it ties into a theoretical RW equip deck well, which can easily include a few extra legends. Some of the typical red aggro cards are legends already.

I really love all the cute little things Saffi does. Like a regenerating blink. A lot of fun with things that ETB to retrieve her. I think she's under appreciated.

Anyone know any strong but not backbreaking combos using legends in G/W? There's quite a few tutors there, plus GSZ and the new Green Finale in War of the Spark. Might have to look at some EDH lists or something.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Anyone know any strong but not backbreaking combos using legends in G/W? There's quite a few tutors there, plus GSZ and the new Green Finale in War of the Spark. Might have to look at some EDH lists or something.

I've always been a fan of GW Legendary reanimator. The goal is to abuse Loyal Retainers and Survival of the Fittest to get a big legend out quickly. There are obvious spinoffs to the combo as well and you can make an archetype out of it:

Outlets:

Reanimation:

Payoffs:

I may have gone the overpowered example, but you can always just fix what the reanimation targets will be in your cube. Also, if you want to do fancy things with Saffi, she combos with the following cards:

All you need is a free sac outlet and you go infinite, as they keep bringing back Saffi and Saffi brings them back.

I had this in my cube and it never went off. Then again, I didn't even realise these combos were in my cube until someone pointed them out, so that was pretty cool. I knew Blasting Station was in my cube for some reason :p

I love all of the legendary enchantments that Sisay and Lancer's can grab. Since you're in green it feels like you can splash for a lot of stuff. All of the Oaths are really exciting since they incentivize you to play planeswalkers (if you include them) which just create more targets for Sisay. This really feels like one of those themes that you can seed into a cube with just a couple of cards.

WAR is adding a bunch of tasty legendary creatures in these colors or easily splashable..

en_bBFyiXEqPA.png
en_MPwitEiNeK.png
en_Q1RY9xIvyt.png
en_YSkVCgAxCC.png
en_e8fyNWMjQ5.png

Selesnya is one of my problem guilds. I’m never quite satisfied with the suite of archetypes I support in this pairing. What’s everyone supporting these days? What cards make you excited to draft in these colors?

I've pretty much left it as my "let me take a break from thinking today" color pair. Basic curve out midrange decks, with some token undercurrents.

Also in some ways my natural counterpoint pair to the overall graveyard theme of my cube (G and W have the best GY hate by and large).

I've pretty much left it as my "let me take a break from thinking today" color pair.

UNACCEPTABLE! :D

Currently supporting the following:

Oath which is a fringe archetype at best:

Land Stuff

Inadvertently neutered hatebears archetype (its so easy to unknowingly cut the support cards!):

Unfocused elf-ball (also neutered in revisions):

An idea I had started, but half-abandoned was a pseudo Rebels deck with a creature toolbox and recursion suite mostly based on cmc as the tie that binds rather that the Rebel creature type:

CMC-limited creature searching and recursion for silver bullet hatebears or able to go vertical with a counters subtheme or level up guys. I've been looking for a signal for the archetype and maybe the Ajani AoT is the card that I've needed to include. I wish there was a good selesnya card to signal the archetype. Any suggestions?

Could slide in a Finks combo in here although it's kinda cheesy....and maybe a little too easy with all the tutoring and recursion.

It always seems like one of the least attractive pairings to draft, so I always forget about what cards support the guild archetypes when I'm making cuts. It shouldn't be this hard!

I'm telling you, I work and work on archetypes everywhere else on the color wheel, but in GW I just ensure I have a decent basic deck framework and it continues to go over swimmingly well. Sometimes people really just want that deck with creatures, some removal, and maybe a little draw.

Like, is your entire playgroup unsatisfied? Does GW never show up, even in a supporting role?

Or it's just you in particular being unsatisfied with it?