The Wheel of Change

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm still sorry I don't check this part of the forum more often, but I have built a new cube since last I was sorry! More accurately, I've done a complete overhaul of the old Magic Crumble Pie, resulting in a new color wheel!.

Link
Visual spoiler
Table view
Draft

Quick Stats:
450 cards
Unpowered
All Rareties
Multicolor environment
Shifted color wheel
Duplicates
Custom Cards

Guilds & Shards & Wedges Oh My
This is my third cube based on this article by Jason. Well, third that made it to the draft part of having a cube. I tried out multiple configurations, two of which stuck for an extended time, and now I'm ready to make a thread for the third incarnation of this evolving project. The new color wheel is {W}{B}{U}{G}{R}. All the allied color pairs (according to the new color wheel) and the corresponding color triplets are there. For example, Simic ({U}{G}) and Gruul ({G}{R}) combine to form Temur ({U}{G}{R}). I will refer to these color-triplets as shards in the rest of my posts here, because they will consist of allied color pairs according to my redefined color wheel. Temur, you're a shard now! The full list is as follows:

{W}{B} (Orzhov)
{B}{U} (Dimir)
{U}{G} (Simic)
{G}{R} (Gruul)
{R}{W} (Boros)

{W}{B}{U} (Esper)
{B}{U}{G} (Sultai)
{U}{G}{R} (Temur)
{G}{R}{W} (Naya)
{R}{W}{B} (Mardu)

The main change is that my cube has grown slightly more aggressive, but we can discuss the individual guilds and shard in more detail later. Also, I've moved the cube to CubeCobra.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I've organized my first draft with this cube, yaaaay! :) A lot of new faces, as Daan, Richard, Flip, and Pascal are all first timers, and none of us have ever drafted this cube in real life (though some had looked at the list I put up on CubeCobra, and Siebe drafted the heck out of it online). Here's the results, as blogged on CubeCobra.

Final standings
1. Martijn (Seat 1, WWW - BWr Control)
2. Danny (Seat 8, WWL - Ninjas Tempo)
3. Siebe (Seat 7, WLW - UG Ramp Control)
4. Daan (Seat 3, LWW - 5-Color Artifacts)
5. Richard (Seat 6, WLL - Grumgully Gruul)
6. Flip (Seat 2, LWL - Token Boros)
7. Pascal (Seat 4, LLW - GU)
8. Wim (Seat 5, LLL - Esper Artifacts)

We had a nice spread of archetypes and colors, which was really nice to see. I even managed to snag some screenshots, so I could share some decklists with all of you from an actual draft! Sweetest play of the day, for me, was when I was up against Siebe in my second match. Both of the first games were superb slugfests, with me winning the first by decking Siebe, and Siebe winning the second because he had boarded in Midnight Clock and I couldn't find my single removal "spell" for it. In the third game, being on the play, Siebe had shown no sweepers so far, and he would have certainly sided them out after seeing recursive threats like Firemane Angel and Eternal Dragon on my side. So I decided to go as aggressive as possible and sided in a whopping 11 cards, turning my curve super low. I drew a perfect opener with Figure of Destiny, Seeker of the Way, Yahenni, Undying Partisan, and the mana to pay for all (and upgrade Figure to a 4/4). Turns out, Siebe had been sideboarding into a slower strategy to gain an ever greater edge in the control on control mirror, and I completely overwhelmed him with my super aggressive start. I've never had a transformative sideboard work quite that well! (Sorry Siebe :))

Decklists

1. Martijn (Seat 1, WWW - BWr Control)

The two customs are:
Firefield Borderpost.full.jpg Tome of Renown.full.jpg

P1P1 Crux of Fate / P1P15 Sentinel of the Eternal Watch
P2P1 Firefield Borderpost / P2P15 Rimrock Knight
P3P1 Sacred Foundry / P3P15 Yahenni, Undying Partisan

MVC(s): Seeker of the Way, Edifice of Authority, Trading Post

The Deal Broker traded a Ripjaw Raptor for a Seeker of the Way (which turned out to be a very good deal). After the trade I took the longest to build my deck, out of all the players, because I had so many directions to go! Thanks to the transformative sideboard plan in my second match, a whopping 12 cards in my sideboard saw play during the tournament. The most important ones, however, where Angel of Despair (my only noncreature removal) and Metalwork Colossus (for the sheer beef and even more recursion).

All of my matches were interesting, only in my first game against Wim did I experience mana troubles (I never drew a third land after mulliganing). Again against Wim, I was lucky to dodge his most powerful cards, it's always nice when your opponent's deck cooperates. The matches against Siebe and Danny were extremely tight, and they played out completely different. Danny put a lot more pressure on the table, with a bunch of one drops into ninjutsu into a flood of small critters and disruption (both discard and counterspells). Thankfully I nicely stepped around most traps, and was able to get some good Wraths in. After a nailbiting third game in the finals, where I held back a bunch of big flyers for multiple turns while at a precarious life total in order to stabilize again, I finally was able to go on the offensive with a Metalwork Colossus that just turned into the deadliest The Abyss. Great games, and really happy I was able to win it! (Especially with a Mardu control deck!)

2. Danny (Seat 8, WWL - Ninjas Tempo)

Didn't get all of the lands on the deck pic, he might have had an additional Polluted Delta I think. But yeah, Danny played 16 lands and had an incredibly sleek deck list.

The custom is:
Fae Dust Changeling.full.jpg

P1P1 Throat Slitter / P1P15 Bonds of Faith
P2P1 Connive // Concoct / P2P15 Omnath, Locus of Rage
P3P1 Dreadmalkin / P3P15 Cogwork Doppelganger

MVC(s): Hypnotic Siren, Spectral Sailor, Yuriko, Ninja of the Deep Hours, Fatal Push.

Danny is a regular in my cube drafts (in fact he's the one who introduced me to cube!), and according to him this might very well be the very best deck he's ever drafted in any of my cubes. It certainly performed very well, and the two games in his 2-1 loss against me in the final were in fact the only two he dropped in three rounds. I was lucky my deck was pretty stacked against him with three wrath effects and a bunch of incidental life gain, because his deck ran very smooth indeed, combining aggressive drops from turn 1 with a steady flow of cards. I think I mentioned the nailbiting third game in the finals :)

3. Siebe (Seat 7, WLW - UG Ramp Control)

The two customs are:
Tropical Maars.full.jpg Crystal Glade.full.jpg

P1P1 The Great Henge / P1P15 Mistvein Borderpost
P2P1 Leafkin Druid / P2P15 Cartel Aristocrat
P3P1 Beast Within / P3P15 Maelstrom Wanderer

MVC(s): Apex Altisaur, Tatyova, Benthic Druid, The Great Henge

Siebe had a super interesting UG control list, capable of splashing red for Maelstrom Wanderer and/or Sarkhan Unbroken from the board. As mentioned, he had a Midnight Clock in the board as well for the control mirror. Siebe played some very tight Magic during the day, and had I not been able to take on the role of aggressor in that third game, he might have very well ran away with the win.

Siebe's first match against Daan's 5-color artifacts was already pretty epic, and his match against yours truly didn't last any shorter. Siebe's deck was geared towards the late game pretty heavily, with lots of card advantage, some counterspells, but also (quite importantly) a bunch of incidental life gain. Well drafted and well piloted, great job on the third place!

Also, Altisaur is a beast when it hits play! I've seen it wreck multiple board states as I was seated next to him. I'm pretty sure it felt like a great ramp reward for Siebe during the whole draft, it's not a coincidence he mentioned it first in his list of most valuable cards.

4. Daan (Seat 3, LWW - 5-Color Artifacts)

The custom is a BW nonbasic (Concealed Courtyard with basic land types)

P1P1 Golos, Tireless Pilgrim / P1P15 Shardless Agent
P2P1 Seal of Doom / P2P15 Pianna, Nomad Captain
P3P1 Sarkhan Unbroken* / P3P15 Creeping Trailblazer

MVC(s): Steel Overseer, Bow of Nylea
Notable sideboard cards: Pacification Array, Voyager Staff, Bygone Bishop, Zacama, Primal Calamity, Blessed Alliance.

Daan joked he lost the first game (against Siebe) so he could rack up two easy wins in the losers bracket, but his deck was no joke at all! Daan picked his lands very high, and it shows in the perfect mana base. Combined with the swath of colorless creatures, this deck should hardly ever run into mana problems. One swap I would have personally made was Bloodbraid Elf for that P1P15 Shardless Agent. Steel Overseer is your best card, so having higher chances to hit it is excellent, and it's an artifact creature to boot! Anyway, some disciplined drafting turned the only 5-color deck at the table into one of the most dangerous as well. Great work!

*I'm pretty sure that P3P1 Sarkhan was filled out wrong, since I faced Sarkhan when playing Siebe, and there's only one in the cube. Maybe he meant to write down Sorin?

5. Richard (Seat 6, WLL - Grumgully Gruul)

The two customs are:
Hatching Hellkite.full.jpg PushPull.full.jpg

P1P1 Seasoned Pyromancer / P1P15 Hatching Hellkite
P2P1 Grove Rumbler / P2P15 Ajani's Presence
P3P1 Rift Bolt / P3P15 Monastery Swiftspear

MVC(s): Grumgully, the Generous

Richard is a Commander afficionado, and I this was actually his first draft ever. His land to spells ratio is a bit off, but his curve is really low, so I don't know how much that hurt him. He probably should have cut the two artifacts for a 16th land and another aggressive drop, like that P3P15 Monastery Swiftspear, and that P1P1 Seasoned Pyromancer should also probably have made the deck with both Hatching Hellkite and Grumgully able to take advantage of the three bodies it makes. All in all though, this is a pretty sweet aggressive Gruul list, and he did have to face both Danny's and Siebe's decks. Not a bad first showing at all!

Incidentally, I'm very happy he named Grumgully as his MVC. I love the card, and it's great to see it actually performed for him, as I've been seeing mixed signals on the internet on this goblin's viability :)

6. Flip (Seat 2, LWL - Token Boros)

The customs are two custom RW lands and the following two:
SummonWar.full.jpg Deck of Many Things.full.jpg

P1P1 Ravos, Soultender / P1P15 Guided Passage
P2P1 The Eldest Reborn / P2P15 Deck of Many Things
P3P1 Sun Gem / P3P15 Hordeling Outburst

MVC(s): Pyrohemia, Summon // War

Flip is a buddy of Danny, but they usually play board games with a small group of friends. In fact, Danny didn't even know Flip played Magic until recently, but I'm glad he found out, because Flip was able to fill in a relatively last minute free slot after another player had to bow out. His mana base could be a bit better for a three color deck, and the Wildfire looks a bit out of place in this aggro deck, but he definitely made Daan fight for the points in the third match, where Bow of Nylea sadly (for Flip, at least) put one of Daan's creatures out of Wildfire range.

Incidentally, I'm super happy that Summon // War made it to Flip's MVC list. It's the last custom I added to my cube before this draft, and I really liked the design after testing. Always nice to see that translate to the real world.

7. Pascal (Seat 4, LLW - GU)
Pascal had to leave after the draft portion, after a house sighting was advanced to an earlier time slot. He also left earlier, after Wim conceded the third match, and I sadly wasn't able to snap a pic of his deck. I do have his picks though.

P1P1 Snapcaster Mage / P1P15 Frilled Deathspitter
P2P1 Prophet of Kruphix / P2P15 Skyknight Vanguard
P3P1 Call of the Earth (a Call of the Herd that makes elemental tokens) / P3P15 Cryptbreaker

8. Wim (Seat 5, LLL - Esper Artifacts)

The custom card is:
Fieldvein Borderpost.full.jpg

P1P1 Tezzeret the Schemer / P1P15 Mizzium Tank
P2P1 Warkite Marauder / P2P15 Honored Crop-Captain
P3P1 Creeping Tar Pit / P3P15 Frontier Bivouac

MVC(s): -
Notable sideboard cards: Savvy Trader, Toolcraft Exemplar, Warkite Marauder, Bone Dragon, Marionette Master, Kederekt Leviathan.

Wim is a regular, notorious for drafting fun decks, and then not drawing his main pieces all night long. He drew the perfect storm of cards exactly once, and promptly won the game against Daan, but it's striking how often his brews fail to cough up key cards. Well, that's the downside of Magic for ya. Wim resigned to his fate, admitting he's a bit rusty as a player as well, but I do hope he has better luck next time! Besides, being rusty didn't prevent him from winning a four man Dominaria silent auction last year after one of my cube drafts, so who knows, his luck might just return next time around!

I'ld like to use my closing words to thank everyone for joining this cube draft. I had tremendous fun,. Easy, admittedly, when you're winning :) The other players also seemed to enjoy themselves though, and they're more than welcome to return for the next draft, which hopefully doesn't take as long to organize now that I've got a functioning cube again!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Just because it's COVID season, and my most recent drafts have been with the Heritage Cube, doesn't mean I can sit back and just let new sets go by without tinkering with my main cube! I've been tinkering quite a lot, actually! I've got not one, but three sets to work with (Theros Beyond Death, Ikoria, and Commander 2020), since my last update was after Throne of Eldraine hit the shelves. Time to do a deep dive, and go into some detail what changes I made since my last update, and why. For posterity, I'll include a full list here in spoiler tags, but it's probably more fun to just read the explanation below the spoiler :)

Custom cards are marked with *

White
Sunhome Stalwart > Deftblade Elite
Toolcraft Exemplar > Faerie Guidemother
Venerated Loxodon > Legion's Landing
Charming Prince > Cartographer's Hawk
Angel of Invention > Hero of the Pride
Shepherd of the Flock > Imposing Sovereign
Bygone Bishop > Rovin, Border Scout*
Sevinne's Reclamation > Stormwild Capridor
Thalia, Guardian of Thraben > Thalia, Heretic Cathar
Ajani's Presence > Fight as One
Inspired Charge > Phalanx Tactics
Triplicate Spirits > The Birth of Meletis
Conclave Tribunal > Elspeth Conquers Death

Black
Eternal Taskmaster > Aphemia, the Cacophony
Midnight Reaper > Isareth the Awakener
Dreamstealer > Woe Strider
Bone Dragon > Okiba-Gang Shinobi
Blood for Bones > Unearth
Transgress the Mind > Agonizing Remorse
Dread Return > Mire's Grasp
Dreadhorde Invasion > Bastion of Remembrance
Makeshift Mannequin > Call of the Death-Dweller
Seal of Doom > Elspeth's Nightmare
Demonic Pact > Exile into Darkness

Blue
Fae Dust Changeling* > Fickle Flowcat*
Dreamscape Artist > Alirios, Enraptured
Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive > Mist-Syndicate Naga
Sphinx of Lost Truths > Ethereal Forager
Kederekt Leviathan > Aethersnipe
Thought Scour > Omen of the Sea
Thopter Spy Network > Ominous Seas
Preordain > Startling Development
Sinister Sabotage > Neutralize
Teferi's Time Twist > Portal of Sanctuary
Chemister's Insight > Hieroglyphic Illumination
Ponder > Frostveil Ambush

Green
Qasali Slingers > Eternal Witness
Beanstalk Giant > Cazur, Ruthless Stalker
Gather Courage > Blossoming Defense
Finale of Devastation > Wilt
Undergrowth Champion > Prismatic Exploration*
Beast Within > Reach of Branches

Red
Dire Fleet Daredevil > Goblin Banneret
Dismissive Pyromancer > Underworld Rage-Hound
Pia and Kiran Nalaar > Pia Nalaar
Neheb the Eternal > Phoenix of Ash
Mizzium Tank > Hero of the Games
Legion Warboss > Anax, Hardened in the Forge
Opportunistic Dragon > Tectonic Giant
Spellgorger Weird > Pyroceratops
Etali, Primal Storm > Yidaro, Wandering Monster
Curse of Opulence > Weaponize the Monsters
Super-Duper Death Ray > Flame Spill
Goblin Heelcutter > Nightbird's Clutches
Raid Bombardment > Kari Zev's Expertise

Gold
Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim > General's Enforcer
Ravos, Soultender > Lingering Souls
Angel of Despair > Doom Foretold

Rona, Disciple of Gix > Ukkima, Stalking Shadow
Connive // Concoct > Agony Warp
Dinrova Horror > Enter the God-Eternals

Tamiyo, Collector of Tales > Nissa, Steward of Elements
Snakeform > Incubation // Incongruity

Heroic Reinforcements > Hero of the Nyxborn

Maelstrom Wanderer > Kalamax, the Stormsire
Guided Passage > Genesis Ultimatum
Kaalia, Zenith Seeker > Kelsien, the Plague
Mardu Ascendancy > Smiting Helix

Colorless
Metalwork Colossus > Hope of Ghirapur
Fleetwheel Cruiser > Signal Pest
Deck of Many Things* > Masticore
Scalding Cauldron > Springjaw Trap
Smuggler's Copter > Key to the City
Cultivator's Caravan > Bonder's Ornament
1 Hedron Archive > Chromatic Lantern
1 Hedron Archive > Heraldic Banner
Cloudstone Curio > Heirloom Blade
Trading Post > Mutagenic Growth

Land
Silent Sands* > Caves of Koilos
Bluff Ruins* > Clifftop Retreat
2 Arcane Sanctum > 2 Esper Triome*
2 Opulent Palace > 2 Zagoth Triome
2 Frontier Bivouac > 2 Ketria Triome
2 Jungle Shrine > 2 Naya Triome*
2 Nomad Outpost > 2 Savai Triome

Whew! Did you take a peek at that list? Did you? 89 changes! This is the most insane overhaul I did since the last time I changed the color wheel! Wait... that was before the summer, about a year ago? Note to self: do not make a habit of this! :eek: Well, I better break this down then!

1. Better Mana
After testing extensively with the new Triomes, I'm very happy with them. The cycling is expensive, but occasionally useful. The fact that they come into play tapped is a real downside if you were hoping to go five colors. The wealth of untapped duals in three- and especially two-color decks means there's still very much of an incentive to restrain yourself. At the same, though, fetches plus Triomes means that (especially green-based) five color decks are more of an option now than ever before. The fact that I cut the two Hedron Archives for a Heraldic Banner and a Chromatic Lantern also helps in that department. I've found that five color decks often seek to just play the best haymakers from each color, meaning both the ramp and the fixing these new three mana rocks offer are welcome to the archetype.

In addition to that, I've found that the most aggressive pairings, WB and RW, want to play as many untapped duals as possible. I cut the two custom bicycle lands (basically WB and RW versions of Fetid Pools), and replaced them with Caves of Koilos and Clifftop Retreat respectively. Who doesn't love smooth mana, right!

2. Kill Your Darling
Let's face it, Demonic Pact is a super fun, powerful, and flavorful card. But... it puts a high demand on your cube, since it doesn't really work if you can't save yourself from the fourth turn game loss. Black can't (easily) get rid of enchantments itself, so I had to put a lot of blink and (self) bounce in white and blue, black's allied colors.

Come to think of it. For the longest time, all the bounce in my cube has been aimed at being able to return your own permanents to your hand, leading me to discard such gems as Brazen Borrower out of hand. I might have to revisit that pool of bounce spells! Ok, I'll file away that thought for later...

Anyway, white isn't a blink color at all. There just aren't that many cards you desperately need to reset. I kept Flickerwisp, as it's also great as an evasive beater that clears a blocker for a turn, but I cut a few options that didn't really put their weight in a cube without Demonic Pact (and its custom brother in arms, Deck of Many Things). In blue I was able to replace the borderline unplayable Teferi's Time Twist with Portal of Sanctuary, a card with much more shenanigans potential. Note that I already cubed Temur Sabertooth, and both green and blue are notably not allies of white!

Anyway, R.I.P. Demonic Pact. Thanks for all the memories! The cube is better without you, but you will be missed buddy. A toast, people, to old friends!

3. Don't Drive While Drunk
Drunk on power that is. Watching a lot of Glen Dekker's (of Cube Cobra fame) Dekkaru cube getting streamed this week made me realize that Smuggler's Copter is probably way to easy a first pick in my cube. I've been having some trouble finding the right vehicles for my cube anyway, so I opted to cut all three of them. Copter was intended to be an incentive for discard matters decks and historic decks, but of course it just beats down and is simply excellent in whatever deck you draft, unless it's the slowest of control decks. I replaced it with Key to the City, which supports both discard matters and ninja's, which are both UB archetypes. The other two created space for other improvements to my cube.

4. Cheap Thrills
One of which was lowering the mana curve by a bit. I've had a lot of games go to time in the last few times, so I thought it would be nice to make the format a little bit faster. White, red, and colorless had their curves lowered, with five extra one drops between them. I feel it's important to note that two of those are Signal Pest and Hope of Ghirapur, that will be quite interesting for ninja's as well, thanks to their evasive qualities!

Anyway, the change is most notable in the one drop section, but I've been lowering casting costs a bit across the board. There's still room for and incentives to ramp, but I've been able to draft some sick 15 land aggro decks in testing, and even one where I got away with just 14!

5. Sneak Attack!
Aaaaah, ninja's! Bet you didn't see that coming! I always liked the archetypes, but it was pretty underrepresented with just three ninjutsu creatures in the cube. Apart from adding an additional two evasive one drops, I also added another two ninja's (Mist-Syndicate Naga and Okiba-Gang Shinobi) to strenghten the mini-archetype a bit. Both are great and nasty surprises when they appear out of nowhere :)

I did axe Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive. The card always balanced on the edge of uninteractive, but the combination of Tetsuko and the new Mist-Syndicate Naga means I'ld rather have my ninja players work a bit harder for it, thank you very much.

6. Cheap Thrills
Wait, didn't we just do this section? Yes yes, but I felt it was appropriate to get some recursion in here. See, I shuffled around the reanimation effects a bit. Before, one of the payoffs for the discard themes was reanimator, but that archetype had two problems. One, I wasn't able to push the theme too hard, as even Necromancy (at three mana) had proven slightly problematic in the past. On the other hand, at four mana the options weren't really enticing to go all in on anymore, since ramp was now just a more attractive option to get out the fatties asap. Another problem is that WB decks that used the reanimation spells, did so in a shell that didn't really need a big density of reanimation spells. I've turned this insight into two directions. First, Unburial Rites and The Eldest Reborn get joined by Elspeth Conquers Death to give the slow WB control deck just enough legs to do their slow control thing while also returning big threats. Secondly, I "downgraded" the other reanimation spells to versions that are more beneficial to the low to the ground aggressive decks in WB and tempo deck in UB. Say goodbye to Eternal Taskmaster, Dread Return, Makeshift Mannequin, and Connive // Concoct; welcome Isareth the Awakener, Unearth, and Call of the Death-Dweller... ok, and you can come play too Aphemia, the Cacophony.

7. We Could Be Heroes
A wild archetype appears! New in RW are the heroes (Hero of the Pride, Hero of the Games, and Hero of the Nyxborn), who will be joining Feather, the Redeemed in her quest to make combat tricks better, as well as improve the go wide strategies in RW. In order to strengthen this archetype, I also increased the number of combat tricks (and other ways to target your own permanents) a bit, including Faerie Guidemother instead of Toolcraft Exemplar, Phalanx Tactics instead of Inspired Charge, and Nightbird's Clutches instead of Goblin Heelcutter.

Finally, this section would be remiss if I failed to mention how great of a combat trick Fight as One has proven to be. Ajani's Presence was fine, but I can't count the number of times I've saved two creatures from a sweeper, or absolutely screwed over my opponent's combat math, for a single white mana! If you are even slightly considering combat tricks, or if Blossoming Defense has been playing well for you, please try out Fight as One. I love it to death, and I can't see it leaving my cube any time soon, if at all. Instant staple for me!

8. Can Or Can't Trip?
That leaves me with the last thing I want to talk about to day. There's plenty of card changes that won't get covered, but it's time I wrapped this up and got to bed. Before I do that do, let's talk about cantrips. For the longest time, one man cantrips have been a bread and butter part of blue. Ponder, Brainstorm, Serum Visions, the list goes on and on and on... These cards are so good, that I see experienced drafters like LSV routinely take them over seemingly more powerful cards. Turns out, if you can always find your strongest card, you don't need a second strongest one. In an effort to both give other colors a bith more breathing room, as well as give blue a bit more interesting play patterns, I've replaced all of my one mana cantrips! With what, you ask? Well... with one mana cantrips of course!

Out: Preordain, Thought Scour, and Ponder.
In: Startling Development, Frostveil Ambush, and Hieroglyphic Illumination.

Okay, I lied a bit. Of course the real cut for Illumination was Chemister's Insight, and Omen of the Sea is a new two mana cantrip with more synergies with the rest of the cube (Zur the Enchanter and Aphemia, the Cacophony, for example), but don't tell anyone! ;)

Wrap-up
Okay, that's all for today, folks! Like I said, there's more to be said about this huge overhaul, but I do think I've covered most of the important changes. If you feel like it, you're more than welcome to give the cube a whirl over on Cube Cobra, and see all of the new cards in action. For now, thanks for indulging me, and good night (or good day, depending on when you read this)!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Triomes good! Naming it NAYA triome bad :p
Sue me :p For real though, I think the name is perfect. Naya is immediately associated with RGW, and Triome is immediately associated with tricycles. It's the perfect name as far as I'm concerned. You could even argue, from a flavor point of view, that the shards were by definition triomes! :)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
So, after receiving some of my Ikoria cards yesterday, I noticed I forgot to test one particular card.

I don't support tribal humans anymore, but there are a lot of incidental human legendaries, and those legendaries really benefit from being indestructible.

There's this custom that likes to attack...

Rovin, Border Scout.full.jpg

And there's these non-customs that like to attack (remember this is a wedge cube)...

And there's these non-customs that are a general pain in the butt...

Plus a number of miscellaneous human legends. And on top of that he creates sac fodder? Uh... I mean supports go wide strategies with his token ability? Yeah, I think I can make room for this guy. Only question is, what do I cut?
Edit: I'm going to cut Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim. She's okay in WB historic and in the Blood Artist shell, but her life gain theme just isn't present anywhere else.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
BIIIIIIIG update! Short post because I should get to work :)

Highlights
I've removed a lot of customs, keeping only a few that I think are cool and/or have a role to fill.
I've replaced a lot of cards on the lower end of the ELO scale with options that are more in line with my power band.
Most importantly, I shored up my mana fixing, adding 9 lands (4 Prismatic Vistas and 5 Pathways, that's a 2% increase) and replacing the Borderpost cycle I ran with untapped mana sources (another 5 Pathways, for a total of 2 in each of the five color pairs).

Archetype changes
The historic package is gone from white.
Enrage support is removed from red.
Ferocious support has been added to Gruul (and blue-ish, through The Bears of Littjara).
Landfall has been added to Naya.
Discard matters has been strengthened in UB by adding Curator of Mysteries, Archfiend of Ifnir, and Breakthrough.

BIIIIIIIG update! Short post because I should get to work :)

Highlights
I've removed a lot of customs, keeping only a few that I think are cool and/or have a role to fill.
I've replaced a lot of cards on the lower end of the ELO scale with options that are more in line with my power band.
Most importantly, I shored up my mana fixing, adding 9 lands (4 Prismatic Vistas and 5 Pathways, that's a 2% increase) and replacing the Borderpost cycle I ran with untapped mana sources (another 5 Pathways, for a total of 2 in each of the five color pairs).

Archetype changes
The historic package is gone from white.
Enrage support is removed from red.
Ferocious support has been added to Gruul (and blue-ish, through The Bears of Littjara).
Landfall has been added to Naya.
Discard matters has been strengthened in UB by adding Curator of Mysteries, Archfiend of Ifnir, and Breakthrough.
I really like this update! The addition of more fixing is great, and streamlining the themes of the cube should make drafting more smooth. I noticed you added Dragonkin Berserker, a card I like very much...
ui6RavV.jpg

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Aaaah, I did two drafts last Sunday, but I haven't come around to post anything about them! I went undefeated (2-0) in both 6-person drafts. Because I'm trying to empty my Notepad backlog for tomorrow's D&D campaign (not because Notepad++ can't handle all the temp files, but because I can't), I'm dumping my winning decklist of the first draft here. More to follow!

Winning decklist UB Discard (me)
2 Cloudfin Raptor
1 Bloodsoaked Champion
1 Guul Draz Assasin
1 Lazotep Chancellor
1 Ledger Shredder
1 Oona's Prowler
1 Voldaren Bloodcaster
1 Fain, the Broker
1 Curator of Mysteries
1 Oskar, Rubbish Reclaimer
1 Shriekmaw
1 Currency Converter
1 Sphere of Annihilation
1 Call the Bloodline
1 Reevaluate
1 Scuttletide
1 Dying to Serve
1 Midnight Clock
1 Soul Transfer
1 Lethal Scheme
1 Enter the God-Eternals
1 Crux of Fate

1 Clearwater Pathway
1 Marsh Flats
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Polluted Delta
6 Island
7 Swamp

Reevaluate.full.jpg

I'm thinking of editing Reevaluate a bit, since Master of Death has added a real card that can be recurred, this might be a bit much of a free effect. Not quite sure yet how to change it, maybe to scry 3 + at the beginning of your upkeep, if ~ is in your graveyard, you may sacrifice a Clue. If you do, return ~ from your graveyard to your hand?

Anyway, I was annoyed I wasn't able to pick up an {U/B} dual, but this deck buzzed on all cylinders. It was such a joy to play! Amongst the new adds, Currency Converter and Lethal Scheme impressed me the most. Both are really sweet cards! Currency Converter and Ledger Shredder are a marvelous combo as well :)

Last edited:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
So, I'm playtesting my cube like crazy, and this just happened:

T1 Play Changeling Outcast
T2 Attack, ninjutsu in Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow (reveal Enter the Eternals)
T3 Attack (reveal Swamp), replay Changeling Outcast
T4 Play Kamiz, Obscura Oculus, attack and make Yuriko unblockable and connive (discarding a noncreature spel), give the Outcast double strike (reveal Island, Shriekmaw, and Gix's Command)

22 damage on t4 through a perfect storm <3 I was cackling behind my computer screen XD
Gix’s Command is a great reason to build a lower powered Cube. Obviously it has nothing to do with why this curve out was so great, but that’s still my opinion lol.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Mega update! Almost 20% of the cube got changed around in the past month, as I was preparing for it to get drafted again!
I went 0-3 (1-6 in games) at my own draft XD Turns out that trying to do 4 archetypes at once is not a recipe for succes... (Esper artifact aggro smokestack discard matters was the unholy amalgamation I was going for) Lost to Broos Aggro, UB Discard Matters, and a beautiful 4c Tempo deck. The tournament was won by a Mardu Midrange deck facing off against an Orzhov Aggro deck. Will post the winning decklist later this week, probably. To round out the 8 man draft, we had a 0-2 drop RG Ramp and a 1-1 drop 5 Color Good Stuff. Fixing seems good, but the losing finalist had one mana fixer in his entire pool, so you don't need it for a good result :)