Card/Deck Tiny black reanimator spells

Are there more cards like this? I'm kind of excited about cards that let you rebuy your early plays without getting stealed off completely by the go-big midrange reanimator decks. Gives more play to the kind of sac-aggro we bring up here from time to time.

Unearth on Geralf's Messenger is about the slam-dunkiest thing possible.

With improved 2 and especially 3 drops, I feel like the value of unearth is going up and will continue to do so. It is narrow though so I would not get carried away with these types of cards.

Victimize seemed cool but my short play test made me not a fan pretty quickly. You need two creature cards in your yard and one in play. That's three creatures in exactly the spots you want them to be. It happens, but it's a questionable cube card IMO. I'm not currently down.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Victimize seemed cool but my short play test made me not a fan pretty quickly. You need two creature cards in your yard and one in play. That's three creatures in exactly the spots you want them to be. It happens, but it's a questionable cube card IMO. I'm not currently down.
I have the same experience with Victimize. It's just tricky to get working, and it's basically never a turn 3 play.

I have the same experience with Victimize. It's just tricky to get working, and it's basically never a turn 3 play.
I find both of those to be upsides, honestly. it does play better in a value deck, where you are focusing more on building board state and rebuying cool creatures and effects with it. Also works better in the Golgari dredge style of deck, which I am trying to push rather than the "combo" reanimator. It being later-than-turn-3 play also fits more naturally into both strategies I mention.

I find both of those to be upsides, honestly. it does play better in a value deck, where you are focusing more on building board state and rebuying cool creatures and effects with it. Also works better in the Golgari dredge style of deck, which I am trying to push rather than the "combo" reanimator. It being later-than-turn-3 play also fits more naturally into both strategies I mention

I've also moved away from busted reanimator more into fair reanimator land. So I can't argue against you there.

For an interesting reanimation card that plays into dredge, check out

You can also go the "Raise Dead" route. If replaying small creatures is what you want to push, just run stuff like Death Denied, etc. That is worthless in "go big" reanimator, but works in value reanimator just fine. Even has uses in midrange since you often want to rebuy shriekmaw's and what not.

There's the fun of thinking about how neat Victimize could be... and then there's the sideboard, where I've always seen it start or finish a drafting session in.

If your cube is both
a) durdle city, and
b) low powered
...Then getting the card to work is probably a waste of time and very look-what-I-can-do. When either of those conditions are not met, the card doesn't get played, or doesn't get played successfully.

I know several of us here have tried to make it work and it didn't, so I see it as a trap, personally. I'd love if it wasn't, but, alas.
- needs two
- requires sacrifice
- sorcery speed
- 3 mana
- CIPT
all work against it in a big way.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor

Thats actually kind of cute. I really like unearth, and wish there were more small reanimator spells in black like it.

This one, however, I think is sadly going to be too inefficient for most people. Paying four mana at sorcery speed to get back a 3 drop is a pretty bad rate.

One thing to keep in mind is that cards like death denied or reaping the graves aren't really reanimator tools, they are low power card advantage generators to overwhelm a control decks removal.

Laz

Developer
Hmmmm. I kinda want to try that in stand speed 2 mana white version (custom). How about 2 of each. Or 1 of each and a gold card.

Unearthing 1BW
Sorcery
Unearth twice.

I would probably play that card, reminds me of Collected Company, another one that I love. Return to the Ranks has already proved to be, ok-ish in my list, but it is pretty narrow.