General Topics: Next Podcast (TBD)

I am currently listening to the Dom Harvey podcast and I am really enjoying your talk about archetypes. You touched on:

- Power level of synergy cards vs good stuff
- "Glue" cards that go into multiple archetypes
- Number of archetypes supported
- Good cards as entry points to a supported archetype

Might be nice to sum everything up in a smaller video, because it was interesting stuff!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
A lot of cube media is a bit circular, to the point where I'd learn more about what might help me shape my environment from a traditional limited podcast like Lords of Limited or Limited Resources.

What non-cube gameplay helped influence your cube? What did you take from it? What did you cut out?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of cube media is a bit circular, to the point where I'd learn more about what might help me shape my environment from a traditional limited podcast like Lords of Limited or Limited Resources.

What non-cube gameplay helped influence your cube? What did you take from it? What did you cut out?
Can you elaborate on what you mean by circular?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Fuck having sat down and thought about my point I'm not even sure it stands anymore.

I had seen a lot of cube media talkin1g about the same power max stuff and limited perspective, but honestly I haven't sat down with honest to goodness cube media in years because I got much more out of breakdowns of actual limited. I haven't even watched the Cultic Cube videos (Sorry mate, I keep meaning to)

I think what I'm trying to say is the 2nd bit: Where do your ideas come from? What was worth keeping, and what wasn't?

I find myself doing much of the same as Chris when it comes to looking towards non-cube sources of content/information. Personally, I'm interested in play patterns of various categories of cards or archetypes. I can glean some insight from folks sharing their thoughts on individual cards and how they play, but I continually find myself looking to modern/standard/limited format gameplay videos to better understand:
  • the key and support cards for the deck's gameplan
  • how they recover from bad starting draws or opponent disruption
  • variations on the deck; more aggressive or controlling slants
  • why certain cards are not in the deck
I guess if I had to wrap that into a more pointed request, it might be cool to see something like a deep-dive into various decks or archetypes. Maybe something that pulls some historical context from formats that supported the archetype/deck, what methodology you used to adapt it to cube (there can be a lot of narrow cards used in constructed decks), the variations it could morph into, how to tone down or beef up power level, and maybe some personal play experience. I'd watch the hell outta those!

... it might be cool to see something like a deep-dive into various decks or archetypes. Maybe something that pulls some historical context from formats that supported the archetype/deck, what methodology you used to adapt it to cube

I'd like to hear something similar to this - a deep-dive on archetypes like storm, reanimator and tribal synergies. The overarching questions want to explore are: "is it worth it to support these archetypes" and "how do you go about implementing them?"