General Tournament of Champions: Community Sealed Event

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Hey 'tiders, I'm putting together a bracket of cube decks that YOU (hopefully) will make. The idea is that each participant will make TWO decks headlined by an iconic Magic cards. Then, Kirb and I will put your decks to the test in a single-elimination bracket. Here are our headliners:

Each headliner will only appear in one sealed pool!

Format

Each participant will receive a sealed pool of consisting of:

* Two headliner cards and their corresponding sidekick card(s).
* An additional ~125 random cube cards
* 10 shocklands, 10 dual lands, and 30 fetchlands

From this pool you must build two distinct decks with no overlapping cards (think team sealed, but run by a single player).

* You make a deck for each headliner
* You must use your corresponding sidekick card(s)!
* Between your two decks, you can use a total of 15 shock/dual/fetchlands (e.g. 6 in Deck A, 9 in Deck B). Any extra lands in your pool (manlands, utility lands) may be used at your discression.
* Each deck may have a sideboard of maximum 5 cards
* Each deck must have a name

Building

I recommend using https://sealeddeck.tech/ to build your deck. You can load the text file I send you via the 'Load Deck.txt' button. It has a robust and intuitive visual deck builder. The site seems to keep track of your progress via cookies or something, so if you want to build the two decks simultaneously maybe you need an incognito tab or second browser.

sealedDeck.png

When you're done editing, click the 'Export for Arena' button and put the resulting decks in .txt files (and post them here).

Spirit of the Tournament

Make your decks as fun and unique as you can. We'll be playing 32 different decks, and I'm looking for some spice! If you want to write a little deck primer, all the better. We'll record all the matches, so you can cheer on your deck and watch as the bracket progresses. I've set up the bracket so that each participant has one deck on each side of the bracket. If both your decks meet in the finals you get ownership of riptidelab.com

If you want to build a sealed pool, post here and I'll send you your .txt file full of cards!

Last edited:
I think it will be more fun if players are forced to use both the header/captain and also the sidekick/signature spell. In this way the rules are less confusing (not a lot, I know), the cards are easier to balance because a good header can have a weak signature and a weak header can have a strong signature. Also you don’t run the risk of player sometimes not including both cards.

Overall I think the format sounds like a lot of fun! At least as an experiment.

I am not 100 % sure which card pool is being used. If you change the 30 fetch lands to 10, will you be able to fully cut the rule “From this pool you must build two distinct decks with no overlapping cards”? If yes, I would go to 10 fetches and let players construct their decks as they please to simplify the rules. This would probably also lead to less efficient mana bases and players internally debating which deck should get the better fixing of the two they are constructing.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I think it will be more fun if players are forced to use both the header/captain and also the sidekick/signature spell. In this way the rules are less confusing (not a lot, I know), the cards are easier to balance because a good header can have a weak signature and a weak header can have a strong signature. Also you don’t run the risk of player sometimes not including both cards.

Overall I think the format sounds like a lot of fun! At least as an experiment.

I am not 100 % sure which card pool is being used. If you change the 30 fetch lands to 10, will you be able to fully cut the rule “From this pool you must build two distinct decks with no overlapping cards”? If yes, I would go to 10 fetches and let players construct their decks as they please to simplify the rules. This would probably also lead to less efficient mana bases and players internally debating which deck should get the better fixing of the two they are constructing.

Okay, I'm changing the rules to require use of signature spell/sidekick. Keeping the 30 fetches though.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Can I join in on the sealed decks too even if I am the one playing the matches?

I'll be down the bottom of the list, but if we can't hit 16 I assume you and I are good to build?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Can I join in on the sealed decks too even if I am the one playing the matches?

I'll be down the bottom of the list, but if we can't hit 16 I assume you and I are good to build?
Yeah, you can join. We'll see how easy it is to do 16, may have to playfully badger some people.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Ugin appears to be missing from the pool too
Yeah, there was an error in the code stemming from your sidekick being the same as your headliner. Updated file attached, apologies.
(worst case you can replace pods 3&4 with Ugin and Everflowing Chalice, if you were already building)

Attachments

• 11 Birthing Pod_Ugin, the Spirit Dragon.txt
    2.9 KB · Views: 2
Do you have a specific day you were trying to set up your games, so we can be sure to have the decks done before then?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have a specific day you were trying to set up your games, so we can be sure to have the decks done before then?
The games will probably be played over the course of more than a month. But the sooner we get deck pairings the sooner Kirb and I can start churning through them. But probably we won't play any games before Monday.