Card/Deck Tutor for a Tutor...

Tutors, specifically specific tutors such as Trinket Mage, can provide drafters with a fun “package” to draft and build around. They can even become “themeless themes” or minimalist archetypes that emerge.
What tutors do you run in your cube and why?

EDIT: I’ll slowly fill in mine up here.

Relic Seeker Not the strongest creature ever, but i like the aggressive bent vs Stoneforge Mystic as well as the incidental +1/+1 counter. (And the price tag!) I do run some nasty equipment with Fireshrieker as a pet favorite.

Ranger of Eos I have several one drops even before i thought of this guy that scale nicely into the late game, such as Giantkiller, Pteramander, Cryptbreaker, Dragonmaster Outcast, and Warden of the First Tree.

Thalia's Lancers Even outside my explicit Historic support, this card can grab a Theros weapon like Whip of Erebos, a utility land like Miren, the Moaning Well, or any of the many legendary critters that make their way into cube.

Tribute Mage A departure from the Trinket norm, I looked real hard at my list and decided it was cooler to fetch up Wellsprings and Altar of Dementia than the usual suspects. I will probably rotate this slot among all the Mages as time goes on; I think they all bring cool things to the table.

Gifts Ungiven The best tutor ever printed! Nothing beats mulling over Gifts piles in my book. I would run 4 of this if i could. Every drafter is going to come up with a different way to use it.

Goblin Engineer Have not actually got to play with this one yet, but my hopes are high.

Hoarding Dragon One of my old favorites from my Daretti commander deck. Without Swords and Path in the format, this guy becomes less of a feelbad risk, and the flavor is just cute.

Realms Uncharted Gifts for lands is definitely not nearly as open-ended as the real thing, but in a cube with 135 nonbasics, you are likely to have something at least mildly cool going on with this. Also has synergy with “lands in graveyard” cards like Gitrog Monster.

Sylvan Scrying See above- i’ve included lands archetypes like Cloudpost and Emeria, the Sky Ruin in the cube, but even scrying up your manland is juicy enough for me to warrant this include. Plus it adds to my count of smoothing effects a la the great Grillo Parlante.

Birthing Pod Much like Gifts, this card needs no introduction and i’d probably double up on it too without too much thought.

Scrapyard Recombiner Grabs Myr Battlesphere, Triskelion, Pentavus... And Deal Broker!

Expedition Map See Sylvan Scrying above. I have doubled up on this in the past and may do so again if i bring back Trinket Mage.

I don't really run very many tutor effects, not a fan of going through the motions if there are too many available, but I do like the more narrow ones. The restrictions are what make them interesting and point drafters towards a certain deck or archetype. The Rangers just give W/x decks some additional card advantage and the ability to pull up utility creatures or X cost artifacts like Stonecoil Serpent or Hangarback Walker. Mystical Tutor is good in giving U/x decks some redundancy for their effects and allows them to pull up a Wrath on the fly if things get dicey. Entomb and Engineer are just nice ways to get things into the grave for future reanimation shenanigans or as a means of setting up an engine piece ala Life From the Loam.

Here's what I have that isn't insignificant like Solemn Sim or something

I also think Demonic Tutor adds some nice redundancy. It's only as strong as the format its in, so basically anyone could run it, it just costs a lot of dead presidents.

I don't think I really need to explain why for any of those, they all seem pretty self explanatory. Mausoleum Secrets is my poverty D Tutor.

Innmy core I have these three. They are perfect, as they are cheap and strong, but card disadvantage, so you need to really want something and know what it is to make them good. They're great at supporting buildarounds like Drake Haven or Door to Nothingness :D

The Worldly Tutor didn't feel necessary, as few buildarounds are creatures.
Then I have this guy here, really only needs like 2 or 3 targets in your 40.

And a new addition to my occasionals is this guy, really curious how he'll play out.

So a really fun way to do this is "eternal gifts" where you loop some combination of Intuition /Gifts Ungiven, with stuff like snapcaster, e wit, unearth, and these are all (except for gifts and intuition) good cards to put in your deck that you can do normal magic with. But when you have this secret infinite mana dump you can trivially find ways to turn that into absurd value.

Thanks xoxo will reply more soon

Does anyone run ?
And what do you use it for?
I’m considering it but… all my lands are already fetchable by fetches so it seems like it may not be worth a card in a lot of cases?
EDIT: i guess it does give Delve +2 and Delirium +2 so that’s a point in its favor

Reactions: dbs
What tutors do you run in your cube and why?

I'm mostly running these cards as a value plays for White decks. White doens't really get a lot of ways to generate hard card advantage, which is totally fine for 1V1 Magic, but I really like it when players have lots of options. These cards help players always have cards and things to spend their mana with. These also all work with blink effects. While they aren't that prominent in my new Cube, there are still a lot of good value blink cards which I would like to include and these justify those.

I'm not sure "tutor for a Plains" is something we were supposed to discuss in this thread, but I just wanted an excuse to say how much I love this card.

This card is probably too good for my Cube, but I still want to test it because I like it that much. It helps people build some synergy oriented decks that have minor support but not as much redundancy as the broader archetype decks in the Cube. Second Whip of Erebos? Yep! Second Mastery of the Unseen? You bet! 12th Siege Rhino? Absolutely!

Remember when I was just talking about Siege Rhino? Yeah, we need more ways to get that out effectively. My Cube is currently singleton, so I can only have 1 copy of Siege Rhino right now. These help with getting it out consistently.

On the Crop Rotation: it’s good in Maverick-style decks with a lot of utility lands and Life from the Loam or other kind of recursion. Great with Depths combo, or other things like instant Bojuka Bog. I cut it some months ago, but sometimes I miss it

this kind of validates my fears… i have utility lands and creature lands, but no Wasteland or Dark Depths stuff going on, which is where you get into Crop Rotation being worthwhile. Honestly i could just run more Abundant Harvest which is kind of a really good tutor when you think about it

Stoneforge Mystic provides card advantage in white, particularly in aggressive decks. This is a huge positive. She's also a human and a blink target which, combined by how it changes the value of cards in the draft, makes it a very happy inclusion on my cube. Note that I don't run any expensive targets so she's not cheating on mana much.

A versatile source of card advantage that works in Pod, sacrifice decks and a bunch of other stuff. Not the most necessary inclusion but so far it's in.

This is the most important tutor in my cube. It enables all sorts of white decks based on stuff like Land Tax or Scroll Rack. It's also narrow enough so that you cannot jam it in any deck, while being broad enough that you might fight to compete a bit for it.

Part of a broader artifact archetype. The cost restriction in the first two is interesting and both cards have exploitable utility beyond the tutoring, such as carrying a Bonesplitter. Tinker takes the archetype in a different direction, with larger payoffs.

Lovely card that works in all sorts of archetypes. I wish I was better at using it so I could modify my cube to make it a bigger star.

A powerful enabler for all sorts of graveyard synergies. Beyond Reanimator, which I support, it can also tutor for a Gravecrawler, Life from the Loam and many other cards.

A second Earthcraft for green wide decks.

These are interesting build-arounds that give green decks a different character. They change how you play and draft and make the cube much more interesting. They also work well with other themes such as blink or discard. Despite their differences they are the same type of card, much like Recurring Nightmare, which I don't run.

I'll add those I haven't seen mentioned that I run.

Tutors and counts towards spells. Playable in almost every Green deck.

I play this instead of Crop Rotation. Repeatable and decent top deck late.

Defensive body that sets up the GY.

Hybrid in colors that either care about Pod/GSZ/Finale or about sacrificing stuff. Gets huge late game a is a mana sink for a mere 2 mana.

While on the topic of tutors, what are peoples thoughts on these

Dark Petition is expensive but gives you an immediate rebate. Probably too redundant if you have Demonic Tutor and Vampiric Tutor already.
I've never liked the luck aspect of Gamble, but for a single mana it's efficiency is unmatched. Other than Life from the Loam, what are some good targets?

I've never liked the luck aspect of Gamble, but for a single mana it's efficiency is unmatched. Other than Life from the Loam, what are some good targets?
I have a few things in my cube for making Gifts piles that would apply here:
Timeless Dragon
Sevinne’s Reclamation
Skyclave Shade
Woe Strider
Cling to Dust
Blast from the Past
Faithless Looting
Firebolt
Kaleidoscorch
Vengevine
Master of Death
Cut//Ribbons
Priest of Fell Rites
Lingering Souls

Artifact/cog tutors to work with Auriok Salvagers / Salvaging Station etc.

Universal tutors that come at a cost. Final parting is expensive, but it's effectively a double tutor in my format. It's a mini-gifts in a colour that needs a bit of breadth.

Creature tutors, duh.

This was better when I had more of a theme around velocity, but it's still good, and encourages dipping into other colours.

For Artifact (or enchantment) shenanigans, I'm on

Tutors that can find anything is something that I don't really run, besides

I have a decent land-tutor package, especially if we are counting land cycling, which I do

Tutor to the grave

Equipment tutor (with bonus points to Trinket Mage for finding 3 of my equipments too)

Creature tutor (and value reanimation ;) )

Interesting that black is my lightest tutor color. Something I didn't consciously realize until putting the list together. Not sure that I need to make any changes in that regard, but maybe something like Dark Petition would be a good include. Could always try a Grim Tutor, which is the demonic tutor variant that I think fits best in a lot of our power bands. Reprinted in M21 too!

i kind of wonder if this effect on a 2/1 for 1G without forestwalk would actually be playable…
I think it would be more than playable. As Erik pointed out, Rampant Growth is an entirely playable card, and this swaps "grab a basic" for "grab a Forest".

The thing that makes the design interesting, however, is that you can give villain a land to turn on Forestwalk. This isn't going to come up much, honestly, but it's a nice option to have.

Because sometimes you want a Hill Giant that can potentially be any 4-drop in your deck.

yknow, just by reviving this thread, you all have convinced me to run GSZ, Elvish Reclaimer, and Weathered Wayfarer (and Tithe but i was gonna do that anyway)
so thanks everyone!

custom art treatments behind the spoiler
89EE51ED-18B4-4DC3-9E80-DC3A7597CA1A.jpeg177F4C43-4D84-415B-A1F6-C0A5D7ED9EC5.jpegF435CC01-DA5C-41BA-A639-3E7BB2E2F662.jpeg