Two-Headed Showdown

98e6db52-3bf1-44e6-ba97-e0ed4e9a646c.jpg

Link to CubeCobra

After a long hiatus in cubing due to the pandemic and general lack of time, I rebuilt my cube from the ground up to be played two-headed!

Cube Design
About: Powered; Conspiracies; Mostly singleton; No custom cards; Lots of proxies.
Power level: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Bundled Picks: Some cards have the Pick 1, Get X treatment. These tend to be cards that are better in multiples, or that need a higher quantity to make some strategies run smoother. Players pick one during the draft and get the copies when building their decks. Examples: Squadron Hawk (x4), Stonebinder's Familiar (x2), Yidaro, Wandering Monster (x4).
Booster Slots: Boosters are prepared especially to make sure important cards are present in the draft. More about booster slots below.
Power Cards: Each booster contains a card from the Power 9, a conspiracy card, or other card marked as powered, like Sol Ring or Lutri, the Spellchaser.
Strategy Cards: The first booster opened in the draft by each player contains a strategy card. These are cards that are more effective if you can plan around them since the start of the draft, as well as draft-based cards. Examples: Astral Drift, Master of Etherium, Canal Dredger.
Good mana for everyone! Besides the high number of duals and fetch lands available during the draft, players can add the Kaldheim snow dual lands (like Ice Tunnel) to their decks when adding basic lands.
Interchangeability. Although the cube is meant for two-headed giant drafts, I'm keeping some cards around if we decide to do a sealed or just play 1x1.

The Boosters
Each booster contains:
• 5 mono-colored cards, 1 of each WUBRG
• 1 Multicolored
• 1 Colorless
• 1 Dual land
• 1 Fetch land
• 1 Power card
• 1 Strategy card (1st booster only) or a random card (2nd and 3rd booster)
• 4 random cards

The Draft
This is what the playgroup has settled with so far:
• We draft 3 boosters of 15 cards each.
• Teammates sit opposite from each other during the draft.
• Between each booster, teammates get together to discuss strategy.
• In our first draft, we didn't allow teammates to share the card pool, but we want to test with allowing that next time.
• Teams play against each other in a best-of-1 format.

Themes
I'm still experimenting with the whole 2-Headed thing, so the themes of this cube are not super defined. I'm throwing some different cards to see if they stick, but here's some clearer themes that I've tried to push:
{W/U}: Blink, Artifacts, Control
{U/B}: Reanimator, Control, Self-mill*
{B/R}: Sacrifice, Madness
{R/G}: Grave-Lands, Madness, Cheating creatures into play
{G/W}: Landfall, Tokens, Counters
{W/B}: Stax*, Tokens, Lifegain
{B/G}: Sacrifice, Graveyard stuff
{G/U}: Counters
{U/R}: Spells, Storm, Artifacts
{R/W}: Aggro, Cycling*
{W}: Humans*
{B}: Zombies*

*Minor theme

We had our first draft this week, and it was a blast! I had some issue with misplaced cards, and had to improvise a bit, changing a few cards from the list and not having some cards as Pick 1, Get 2.

Game Results:
Lasse (RGw Aggro) + Mathias (BWg Tokens): 2-0
Asger (UG Eldrazi artifacts) + Paolo B (Grixis Control): 1-0
Vince (5-Color Bant Yorion) + Paolo T (Mardu Cycling Stax): 0-0

Decklists
The winning pair

Mathias.jpg

Mathias' BWg Tokens

The not losing pair
Asger.jpg

Paolo.jpg

Paolo's Grixis Control

The losing pair
We both made the mistake of making decks that had way more than 40 cards and ended up paying for it.

Pate.jpg

Paolo's Mardu Cycling

Takeaways:
• It was fun drafting again! It's been a while, so just the fact that we got to get together and drafted was a big plus!
• (Most of) the decks ended up being well-rounded and had a lot of interaction.
• Games were a bit on the longer side. Not making them best-of-three was the correct decision. And although they could take long, it felt like it was more a matter of actual time than turns per se.
• It's amazing how two-headed giant helps alleviate power concerns of individual cards!
• Mana has not been a problem (besides that one time that Paolo T got shut down by a Wasteland because he fetched the wrong land), though players expressed concern over the absurd amount of lands that ended up in the card pools. I think I messed up a bit with the booster preparation by having too many lands get added into the random slots. I'm thinking of cutting to 30 fetch lands to reduce the amount of lands that end up going in random slots. I might experiment with not having fetches in the first booster if that's not enough.

I'm already looking into what to cut and what to add next. I want to add more stuff that works well with a teammate, so maybe more cards with storm, surge, and support.