Unpowered Fair Stuff

Sup Nerds! I already know several of you from Discord where most of my cube discussion takes place (feel free to join in if you're into that kinda thing https://discord.gg/UzV3J3aNhw ) I'd like for this thread to be the spot where I keep track of my design process in a more transparent and traceable manner as opposed to the completely incoherent mess that is my changelog on cubecobra.

List can be found here:

https://cubecobra.com/cube/overview/unpowered_fair_stuff

Design Philosophy:
  • Design Restriction:

Singleton for Non-Fixing Lands & No Combo

As is obviously apparent if you look at the list, the manabase breaks singleton for fetches and ABUR duals and is strongly leveraged to support a lot of cards like landfall zoo creatures, Daze, Snuff Out, etc. I do however try to keep the rest of the cube to a Singleton restriction as it allows for more unique combinations of cards leading to a gameplay experience myself and my playgroup enjoy as well as a wider power band which allows for less-skilled players to pick up a few extra W's in an otherwise challenging format.

The omission of combo is mostly due to myself and my playgroup not feeling like the games are particularly engaging. Games involving combo often devolve into "Go Fish" where one player simply asks "Do you have it?" either referring to the combo or the answer to the combo and the outcome of that binary exchange decides the game. I am of course okay with some games coming to that point at some point as all games should inevitably come to a conclusion, but the way in which combos invalidate all previous exchanges isn't something we enjoy outside of constructed.
  • Draft Format:

4 packs of 16 cards each (512 cards total) drafted by 8 players

The extra pack allows for the format to include some more narrow power spike cards for archetypes without having to worry about how parasitic they might be as well as guarantee more meaningful options during sideboarding and more challenging and decision intensive deckbuilding.
  • Power Level:

Very high Legacy+

I like cards that are efficient and strong but do not consistently lead to won games within the first couple turns. Players should expect the tempo axis to matter a lot as cards can snowball quickly but also that the tools are present to interact with things at a very cost efficient rate such that games aren't solely two ships passing each other in the night doing hyper linear things. I want decks to be filled with cards you would expect to see in constructed fair decks with a strong skew towards eternal formats only going down the power scale when effect density requires it IE: Lightning Bolt is the best burn spell and even though Fire Ambush is worse, it still makes the cut.

Cards currently banned due to power level:

Companions & Conspiracies (Lurrus of the Dream Den is allowed only in maindecks)

Fast Mana (Black Lotus, Moxen, Dark Ritual, etc)

1 card win the game spells (Tinker, Natural Order, etc)

Completely imbalanced old broken spells (Ancestral Recall, Time Walk, Balance, etc)

Power outliers that are currently allowed:

Brainstorm
    Ponder
    Preordain
    Gitaxian Probe
    Dig Through Time
    Treasure Cruise
    Gush
    Abundant Harvest
    Vampiric Tutor
    Imperial Seal
    Demonic Tutor
    Skullclamp
    Strip Mine
    Wasteland

A lot of these allowed outliers are currently accepted because what they do is give decks added consistency and as the format lacks combo as an archetype, increasing consistency of decks simply allows more real games of magic to be played. Demonic Tutor is a supremely fucked up card that can be strongly abused to piece together game winning combos but in the absence of such interactions, while it is still an outrageously powerful effect at its price point, it isn't enabling non-games but is rather being leveraged to allow players to find necessary interaction to deal with a problematic permanent, find a critical early land drop, or their best threat.

Mana screw lands, while occasionally contributing to non-games, are an unfortunately important piece of allowing proactive blue decks to have a home. Due to the extremely high density of premium removal, and lack of combo, the environment is naturally hostile to fair blue creature decks and as a result having access to mana screw lands, in addition to cards like Stifle, Spreading Seas and Shadow of Doubt allow these decks to occasionally take wins against slower removal heavy strategies by choking them on mana development long enough for their evasive threats to cross the finish line. Additionally mana screw lands are enablers for Maverick-esque lock decks which allows for divergent play patterns and adds utility to several cards in my cube such as Ramunap Excavator, Weathered Wayfarer, Elvish Reclaimer, Knight of the Reliquary and Wrenn and Six.
  • Desired Gameplay:

I want games to last roughly 10-20 minutes a piece on with polar matchups lasting less time and mirror matches going a bit longer.

Play patterns I want to encourage are highly interactive games where players are constantly either trying to set up game winning boardstates or dismantling those of their opponent.

I want to mitigate the influence of mana screw and flood (with some exceptions) by making decks capable of functioning on low land counts as well as having ways to easily generate value or sink mana to play through a pocket of lands.

Last edited:
These are the cards I'm testing from Strixhaven: School of Mages

I've actually had a few chances to play with this card already at the time of writing this (as well as the other commands) as I've had it in my list since it was spoiled about a month ago and while my initial impression was high I have tempered my hype on the card somewhat. Three mana is quite a lot for a reactive spell these days and while Prismari Command does offer quite a decent amount of modality, the highest value mode (shock + shatter) is a bit more narrow in the context of my current format than perhaps I was initially aware of. When looking at this card I think one should carefully consider the average toughness within their environment as well as the density of artifacts as both of those things can strongly influence how frequently this card can get maximum value. I don't currently support things like Reanimator or Storm in my cube either so the ability to fuel the graveyard with stuff isn't as potent in my format where as it easily could be in others. All of this said, I'm going to continue to run the card as it still does enough reasonable things to justify itself, but will it stick around for years to come like Kolaghan's Command has? I'm not so sure.

Like Prismari Command, my early impressions were much higher than my current view of the card. Quandrix Command has most played out in a similar way to Dromoka's Command in that I have found the primary mode to be trying to force massive blowouts against decks that are trying to attack into you while you have a boardstate and in this aspect the card certainly doesn't disappoint but at 3 mana and with some contextually more narrow modes as again my artifact/enchantment density isn't super high nor are there any graveyard combo decks, the other modes have felt quite a bit more lacking, still relevant when they hit though. I think this card is okay as a flexible reactive spell but it's probably not something I expect to be taking too high in pick order, so for those of you with smaller gold sections I don't really think this is close to the top of what Simic has to offer.

This is the final command I've been actively testing and unlike the previous two, this one has been quite excellent for me. My format curves fairly low and has a high density of fetch lands and 1 toughness creatures so the environment is essentially tailor made for a card like this. Being able to pick off an opposing Young Pyromancer and buy back a fetch land for 2 mana honestly feels like cheating when it hits as does popping super powerful cheap non-creature permanents like Sylvan Library, Umezawa's Jitte or Journey to Nowhere. I think this card is going to do some really exciting things for the constructed formats with fetch lands and cubes with similar mana quality but if you aren't reliably able to buyback a land I think the floor on this card sinks like a stone and you might be worth looking elsewhere for golgari cards.

I like the design of this card quite a lot, it reminds me of Drowned in the Loch, which is a card that has impressed me quite a lot in cube. I think a counterspell, even a taxing Negate, that has the ability to answer permanents on the board, even with a fight spell, is something that can be quite powerful. As far as the Counterspell mode is concerned a 2cmc mana leak for non-creature spells still puts this in a fairly efficienct space as the vast majority of the time this is going to play just like negate. The fight spell is obviously the far less efficient mode and with it comes some inherent risk of blowout if you play it into open mana, but the upside there is of course a 2 mana instant speed hard removal spell, so you will get paid off if it hits. I expect this card will be able to do some good work in more creature heavy UGx decks that can leverage the fight spell as a relevant mode as leveraging your Hooting Mandrills or Tarmogoyf to bunch down at blockers can lead to good damage, but I don't think the more reactive decks that are essentially splashing green for stuff like Ice-Fang Coatl or golgari removal spells are going to be as interested, although they very well might still play it.

I don't think I need to really spend a lot of words on this one, it's a 2 mana instant that exiles a ton of cards of a wide range of permanent types, even in a gold heavy cube like mine this is still going to be hitting multiple high impact cards against just about every opponent. I think this is probably the best WB removal spell of all time and it's probably not even that close.

This card looks like an outstandingly powerful sweeper for my format. This can slot into a pretty wide range of decks as 5c Niv-Mizzet Reborn pile will obviously love it as a wrath they can draw off their big dragon, Sultai control can use it and I wouldn't even be too shocked to see it brought out of the sideboard by Jund and Abzan. The range of things this spell kills is pretty nuts in that most of the impactful threats in the format tend to cost 1 or 2 mana and 3+ drops dodging the sweep can even be a boon should you be developing your own thing in the turn leading into this, which is something a like of BGx decks are certainly interested in doing.

I love xerox threats. Sedgemoor Witch is a very reasonable xerox threat. I will be cubing Sedgemoor Witch. Yes, I will also be putting in Chain of Smog for the chance to pull off the occasional cheesy combo. I like this card a lot, I think it's neat.

Speaking of xerox, why yes, I do want a Strategic Planning that is also a 2 mv divination in later turns, thank you WotC, I accept this offering. I really wish there was more to say about this card but like, you don't need me to read the card for you, it says "good" in it's text box, I'm gonna play it in my cube, and probably several constructed decks too.

What a sweet design this dude is! UGx decks can be fairly mana hungry at times and I love how Quandrix Apprentice just passively will guarantee you hit your land drops by simply doing the thing your deck wants to do, which is cast cantrips, counterspells and removal spells. This card is going to draw out removal like a lightning rod as there's no way your opponent can afford to let you stick this guy and get tons of free value but if you can afford to delay playing it until you can guarantee one trigger I think you're totally fine with that exchange as even if you brick on finding a land you're still getting yourself 3 cards closer to finding one.

Guys! They did it! They actually fucking did it! Wizards of the Coast did it! I can hardly believe my eyes, it's just so beautiful! A good boros card! It doesn't require any weird synergy like Feather, the Redeemed or Nahiri, Heir of the Ancients. It's an honest to goodness no-strings-attached good card! Wow. I love it. To whomever designed this card, thank you <3

Okay, I think this card is getting slept on. This is Fractured Identity for 1 mana less and it doesn't even put you into a second color. We all know everyone loves Cryptic Command so this kind of mana cost isn't exactly a dealbreaker for most cubers and the rate here is nuts! 4 mana to take my opponents best thing, creature or planeswalker, and unlike Control Magic they can't even disenchant their way back into the game? How is this card not getting more hype? I just don't get it. Everything good already costs 3 mana or less anyway, y'all don't want to snatch your opponent's Kroxa, Uro, Oko, Daretti, Liliana, Tireless Tracker, Mentor, etc etc etc? I do! I think this card SLAPS!

I think this card honestly looks kinda not great, like a worse Seeker of the Way, and I don't really love Seeker of the Way. But we're at the point where we've kinda hit a critical mass of reasonable UWx tempo cards and I think this lionperson deserves a fair shake. In fairness to the Lightscribe he does essentially have double-prowess if you have another lad on the board and tripple prowess if for whatever reason your opponent totally bricked on removal spells. The ceiling is very high on this card and it can potentially lead to set ups where all your dudes turn into monks, you cantrip once or twice, maybe fire off a Fire Ambush and all of a sudden your opponent went from taking four damage to 15 and they're just dead. I'm interested to see how this dude plays out.

Man, I love this set. We're just getting showered in goodies for xerox decks. This puppy right here is probably the best Quirion Dryad variant Wizards has printed yet! Starting out as a 2/2 instead of an icky 1/1 like Dryad or Deeproot Elite is a HUGE deal as it means with only a single cantrip we're already a totally respectable 3/3 body which can both beat down and hold down the for fairly effectively. The activated ability, while mostly flavor text, I'm sure will come up in a non-zero number of games and getting to give your 5/5 some Banejuice and turn it into a roided out 8/8 is going to help you clobber people pretty quickly. Sick card.

This is probably about as close to another Delver of Secrets as we can reasonably expect in a standard legal set. Yeah, like the OG it requires you to put in a smidge of effort to grow it up to size, but a 2 power flyer for 1 mana is an extremely good rate and there are a number of other xerox threats that this will synergize with, you can grow up the base power of Sprite Dragon, Young Pyro/Mentor tokens, Jolrael, Mwonvuli Recluse, Baleful Strix, the 1mv prowess guys, etc. I think this card is super reasonable and I will hapily toss it into my cube to give her a spin.

This is very possibly one of the best cards in the entire set. This card can push an absolutely outrageous amount of damage super early in the game. Even if you're only proccing her a single time she's swinging in with as much force as Soul-Scar Mage, a staple of Modern prowess decks and if we're getting multiple triggers from freespells like Manamorphose, Gitaxian Probe or doublecasting Lava Dart this card can get super super scary. As a lover of aggressive decks I can't wait to see how this card impacts constructed and maybe it's prettty cool in cube too.

In a similar vein to Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet I think Extus can be a super reasonable grind piece for midrange decks. Being able to turn your Doom Blades into Kolaghan's Commands is honestly super powerful and can help you keep the gas flowing in grindier games. It's also worth noting that unlike Kalitas, Extus will get you value even when you cast proactive spells so things like Thoughtseize, Lingering Souls, Unearth, etc can do their thing of pushing you further ahead while you're keeping your hand nice and healthy, assuming your graveyard has some dead goyfs in it of course.

Okay, I know I said Clever Lumimancer is one of the best cards in the set, but this card is the best card in the set and I don't think it's close. What a slam dunk of a preview of Modern Horizons 2 this card is. On power level I think Abudnant Harvest is batting pretty damn close to Preordain, obviously we lose a few points for not being blue so you can't pitch it to Force of Will / Force of Negation which could impact how much play we see from this card in legacy but in Modern where Ponder and Preordain are banned and there's no Brainstorm in sight (unlike Historic for whatever reason); I think this is pretty easily one of if not the strongest cantrip legal in that format. The selection here is incredible, being able to guarantee you see your 2nd land when you keep a 1 lander with this card is the real fucking deal and unlike any other cantrip in the late game you are guaranteed to change this card out for a spell. What a nuts card! Pretty sure this is a cube staple until the end times for me.

This card is a super sweet design, on rate we get a 3/3 for 3 with haste which is already totally reasonable and at only a single red pip it's easy on the mana but being able to also effectively draw a 2nd card every turn is super strong. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this becomes one of the defacto threats for Mono Red Prison in Legacy is this card's clocking faster than Goblin Rabblemaster and helps that deck find more prison pieces and threats while doing it. A bit of a shame it's Legendary as drawing multiple is gonna stink in that format but w/e I guess if your opponent is just letting you untap with this gal they're gonna be dead pretty quickly anyway so it probably doesn't matter too much. For cube obviously the context is a bit different but I think this card easily slots into most aggro and midrange decks in red fairly comfortably and probably sits right underneath Seasoned Pyromancer in the power level rankings for red 3s. An exciting printing that I wasn't expecting in a Commander deck.

Final Thoughts:

Strixhaven looks like a fairly powerful set with a number of cards that look like very reasonable cube cards as well as some impactful constructed cards. I can't wait to see the impact of cards like Abundant Harvest and Clever Lumimancer on Historic (and soon Modern!) and I'm equally amped to play with them in cube. A huge upgrade in terms of number of playables from what we saw from Kaldheim so for that all I can is thank Mark Rosewater for being lead designer, almost every time that guy leads a set it's gangbusters for cube. Looking forward to what comes next. Peace nerds!

Okay, I think this card is getting slept on. This is Fractured Identity for 1 mana less and it doesn't even put you into a second color. We all know everyone loves Cryptic Command so this kind of mana cost isn't exactly a dealbreaker for most cubers and the rate here is nuts! 4 mana to take my opponents best thing, creature or planeswalker, and unlike Control Magic they can't even disenchant their way back into the game? How is this card not getting more hype? I just don't get it. Everything good already costs 3 mana or less anyway, y'all don't want to snatch your opponent's Kroxa, Uro, Oko, Daretti, Liliana, Tireless Tracker, Mentor, etc etc etc? I do! I think this card SLAPS!
I think people are cold on this card because it doesn't hit every threat one might want to commandeer in Cubes that aren't super streamlined. As soon as the premium permanents move from being Okos and Tireless Trackers to being Siege Rhinos and Jace, The Mind Sculptors, Tempted by the Oriq's power level starts to wind down. This card might be actively unplayable in Cubes where the average three-drop is something along the lines of Phyrexian Rager. I agree that Tempted by the Oriq is not getting as much attention as it deserves for true high-power environments, but I feel that there are valid reasons why people might not be inclined to include it in their Cubes.

Yeah, like with most things in cube, the power level is contextual. Lightning Bolt sucks in a cube where all creatures have 4+ toughness and Tempted by the Oriq is probably much weaker in slower and higher curving cubes where more relevant threats get deployed later in the game. My analysis of the card is confined to the context of my own cube and cubes that have a similar design goal of increasing the power level of the format by reducing average casting cost. When the threats in the format are cheap this card is often FI for 1 less, which is a pretty decent rate, especially so when the quality of 3 drops is as high as it is in my format.

Yeah, like with most things in cube, the power level is contextual. Lightning Bolt sucks in a cube where all creatures have 4+ toughness and Tempted by the Oriq is probably much weaker in slower and higher curving cubes where more relevant threats get deployed later in the game. My analysis of the card is confined to the context of my own cube and cubes that have a similar design goal of increasing the power level of the format by reducing average casting cost. When the threats in the format are cheap this card is often FI for 1 less, which is a pretty decent rate, especially so when the quality of 3 drops is as high as it is in my format.
Very true, this card looks insane in your format.

landofMordor

Administrator
Can you elaborate on what you mean by 'xerox'?

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/ub-trippin’-2005-04-21

I'm not Funch (as far as you know!) but Xerox is the deckbuilding principle that an abundance of cantrips helps to reduce mana screw while also increasing virtual threat density. AFAIK one of the original Xerox decks was Miracle Gro utilizing Quirion Dryad, but most people nowadays are more familiar with Modern/Legacy Delver lists. Attached article is one of the first explicit articulations of the deckbuilding theory.

Out:

Celestial Colonnade
Creeping Tar Pit
Lavaclaw Reaches
Raging Ravine
Lumbering Falls
Needle Spires
Hissing Quagmire
Wandering Fumarole
Stirring Wildwood
Shambling Vent
Treetop Village
Faerie Conclave
Ghitu Encampment
Faithless Looting
Spreading Seas
Atris, Oracle of Half-Truths
Necropotence

ETB tapped manlands are too slow. Decks cannot afford the early game tempo loss of having mana enter tapped and the upside of having a mana sink later isn't paid off enough given the floor.

Faithless Looting doesn't really have a home here as there's no deck that can really leverage its effect here.

Spreading Seas just isn't impactful enough for its cost.

Atris sucks. Costs too much mana, doesn't even consistently get you two cards and when it does they're usually not supre relevant cards and one of which is almost always a land.

Necropotence is too busted and in an unfun way. 3 mana draw 10 allows players to win games they have absolutely zero business winning and almost completely invalidates attrition as a viable win condition when its drawn by a reasonable turn.

In:

Thing in the Ice
Pteramander
Liliana, Waker of the Dead
Vraska, Golgari Queen
Merfolk Branchwalker
Jadelight Ranger
Soul-Guide Lantern
Nihil Spellbomb
Blast Zone
Tithe
Oath of Nissa
Heartless Act
Wild Slash
Tarfire
Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
Grasp of Fate

Increasing removal density a smidge.

Adding some filler midrange walkers.

More graveyard interaction.

Blast Zone feels like it might be a more reasonable mana sink land for control since it at least ETB's untapped.

Thalia is maybe okay for zoo? I have no clue. I'll cut if she's not really used there.

Oath of Nissa and Tithe, cards I love adding to my list and then cutting over and over again whenever I see a new card I want to test and then it ends up being bad.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Draft Format:

4 packs of 16 cards each (512 cards total) drafted by 8 players

The extra pack allows for the format to include some more narrow power spike cards for archetypes without having to worry about how parasitic they might be as well as guarantee more meaningful options during sideboarding and more challenging and decision intensive deckbuilding.
Holy shit. I've looked at your cube a few times, but I somehow missed this part every time. That's a lot of cards! Some of my players already have a hard enough time cutting down to 23-25 from 45. I can't imagine the analysis paralysis cutting down from 64 is going to induce in some of them o_O

Holy shit. I've looked at your cube a few times, but I somehow missed this part every time. That's a lot of cards! Some of my players already have a hard enough time cutting down to 23-25 from 45. I can't imagine the analysis paralysis cutting down from 64 is going to induce in some of them o_O

It sounds harder than it is in practice. Because of the land density players are expected to walk away from the draft with about 14 or 15 lands in their pool, so the amount of cuts made is on a similar level to what you’d have to make from a format with a more traditional amount of lands.

I can confirm that building from a 64 card pool is hard but it is not egregiously difficult. Having many lands and most cards being redundant effects means that selecting the best of them to fit a density and putting the rest in the sideboard is difficult but not absurdly so.

Inspired by @landofMordor's decision to break singleton a bit more and having a lovely chat with other notorious singleton hater @Jason Waddell I'm easing up my restriction in my main cube to leverage some key singleton breaks on effects that I think can dramatically improve both the balance and play experience of the format. I want to try and keep my singleton breaks to things that cannot feasibly be done under anywhere close to the same level of competency under the current confines of a truly singleton restriction.

Goals of this update:

1) Give Mardu a clear identity that is actually worth playing rather than just "bad Jund"

I want Mardu to more closely resemble old favorite tier 2 now tier unplayable Modern deck Mardu Pyromancer. Ideally the deck should be able to leverage Faithless Looting to rip through its deck and set up synergistic interactions with cards like Lingering Souls, Kroxa and Smiting Helix as well as stock the yard full of goodies to be leveraged as a resource by black delve threats, Unearth, Reanimate, Sevinne's Reclamation and Bedlam Reveler. Ideally this allows the color combination to more strongly make use of magecraft type cards like Monastery Mentor, Young Pyromancer, Sedgemoor Witch and Dreadhorde Arcanist as well by injecting a higher density of cheap spells into the deck.

2) Bolster a select few single card archetypes that normally lack redundancy.

Stoneforge Mystic is such a wonderfully powerful and unique card that no redundant cards really come close to effectively emulating, sorry Relic Seeker. A Stoneforge package can truly allow disruptive UWx decks to shine as they can leverage the sticks to help turn their otherwise fairly middling creatures into truly powerful game ending threats. Stoneforge also makes for a lovely addition to both Mardu and Abzan decks as well as a reasonable post-board strategy for zoo in matchups where they might need to get grindier.

Blink is a deck that is super close to being a unique and powerful midrange strategy but the power level falls off a cliff once you get past a fairly small handful of cards. Sure, Flickerwisp, Restoration Angel and Charming Prince are all fine and dandy but in constructed the real power card is Ephemerate. I'm hoping that by adding a few extra copies of this spell that I'm able to more strongly signpost to drafters that Blink a strategy that they can play and find success with by allowing them to more consistently set up the decks more powerful interactions. I'm unsure if the extra Ephemerates alone are enough to really get us there but I'm willing to entertain a few extra tune ups if this addition doesn't prove significant enough.

Collected Company is another similar card where its mere existence can spin off entire archetypes. Whether CoCo is bolstering a chonkier zoo deck with a powerful top end bomb or just giving Blink a justification for getting a bit greedier and skimping on interaction, I think the texture it adds to the format is worthwhile and the card can give Timmy/Tammy something to gravitate towards as the thrill of praying to RNGesus to see if they hit or miss can be some much needed excitement for them in an otherwise fairly dry and spikey environment.

Aether Vial I think will end up fitting into similar sorts of decks as CoCo, basically decks that want to play a very high density of threats and give those decks an element of dimensionality and flexibility that they might otherwise sorely lack as the ability to now play your creatures at instant speed opens up not only a ton of complexity to the combat step but also can turn otherwise simple enter the battlefield abilities into incredibly powerful instant speed blowouts.

3) Increase card quality of a select few unique roleplayer cards to bolster strategies and classes of cards that otherwise have to exist at ends of the power level spectrum that I'm not entirely comfortable with.

Strip Mine and Wasteland get to go the way of the Dodo in exchange for additional copies of Ghost Quarter, Field of Ruin and Dust Bowl.

Delver gets another copy of... Delver of Secrets as well as similar cards like other strong threats and enablersMonastery Mentor, Monastery Swiftspear, Sprite Dragon, Nimble Mongoose and Dragonguard Elite, Manamorphose and Lava Dart to replace unplayable turds like Symmetry Sage, Pteramander, Lightning Stormkin

Cantrip quality gets to go up with a fist full of Serum Visions replacing the D-tier cantrips.

Zoo gets some extra copies of better threats instead of being forced to play with some Savannah Lions tier cards.

Mardu Pyromancer gets some extra goodies with Unearth, Reanimate, Lingering Souls, Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger doubling up.

"Maverick" style GWx decks get some more Knight of the Reliquary, Ramunap Excavator and the previously mentioned land destruction lands.

+ Stoneforge Mystic
+ Stoneforge Mystic
+ Monastery Mentor
+ Ephemerate
+ Ephemerate
+ Delver of Secrets
+ Serum Visions
+ Serum Visions
+ Serum Visions
+ Serum Visions
+ Serum Visions
+ Serum Visions
+ Unearth
+ Reanimate
+ Mind Twist
+ Akoum Hellhound
+ Grim Lavamancer
+ Monastery Swiftspear
+ Lava Dart
+ Faithless Looting
+ Faithless Looting
+ Faithless Looting
+ Faithless Looting
+ Nimble Mongoose
+ Experiment One
+ Dragonsguard Elite
+ Ramunap Excavator
+ Collected Company
+ Collected Company
+ Manamorphose
+ Lingering Souls
+ Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger
+ Kird Ape
+ Brushfire Elemental
+ Knight of the Reliquary
+ Renegade Rallier
+ Tidehollow Sculler
+ Sprite Dragon
+ Wild Nacatl
+ Smiting Helix
+ Aether Vial
+ Aether Vial
+ Aether Vial
+ Aether Vial
+ Ghost Quarter
+ Field of Ruin
+ Dust Bowl

- Goblin Rabblemaster
- Tithe
- Kytheon, Hero of Akros
- Seeker of the Way
- Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
- Elite Spellbinder
- Timely Reinforcements
- Grasp of Fate
- Castle Ardenvale
- Symmetry Sage
- Peek
- Quicken
- Squelch
- Sorcerous Sight
- Castle Vantress
- Castle Locthwain
- Goblin Bushwhacker
- Zurgo Bellstriker
- Robber of the Rich
- Ahn-Crop Crasher
- Legion Warboss
- Reckless Bushwhacker
- Hazoret the Fervent
- Pia and Kiran Nalaar
- Tarfire
- Wild Slash
- Embercleave
- Avacyn's Pilgrim
- Elvish Mystic
- Fyndhorn Elves
- Llanowar Elves
- Merfolk Branchwalker
- Jadelight Ranger
- Lovestruck Beast
- Rhonas the Indomitable
- Questing Beast
- Life from the Loam
- Dryad Militant
- Sunblade Elf
- Lightning Stormkin
- Pernicious Deed
- Vraska, Golgari Queen
- Bomat Courier
- Rishadan Port
- Strip Mine
- Tectonic Edge
- Wasteland

Definitely excited to see how these changes go, especially as far as rationalization of specific card counts ends up turning out. I am most interested in seeing how the amplified Serum Visions count affects delver vs other blue decks, seeing as the card is on the lower end of very good cantrips, but still certainly a powerful card in general.

I'm quite interested in being able to leverage this expanded design space to make some unique deck archetypes work that perhaps aren't doable under normal means. For now I'm sticking mostly to things that can work off of just a select few things being incorporated but I'd be lying if I told you I didn't want to find a coniguration that could allow for a sacrifice deck with Korvold, Fae-Cursed King to have a home.

thanks for posting your list! i kind of independently ended up on a very low curve list earlier this year and have been very happy picking your brain and your list for possible includes. have you been able to do much testing with the recent adds?

Adding more 1mv removal, format just needs more of it. Had cut some of the shocks for a while but back in they go. Working out cuts but whatever there’s always shit cards lurking around somewhere and premium interaction is always such a nice thing to have access to.
I'm liking some of the swaps so far, but I believe you are using a strictly worse Shock art. Clearly the best shock is the English mystical archive version and not the Japanese mystical archive version.
:texas:

I'm pretty new to this type of design in general, so I don't have anything particularly constructive to say about your list at the moment. I just wanted to say that I do really enjoy the low curve. I never really considered the advantages of being so aggressive in reducing average cmc in cube. As a former competitive player, I appreciate spell efficiency. I'm more of a competitive Johnny, and cling hard and fast to my convoluted synergies, but I enjoy considering what my environment could look like utilizing a similar general approach.

In a small way, I think some of us here have dipped our toe into the water by increasing the density of cycling effects in our cubes. Most cycling effects are not efficiently costed, but their modal quality leads to a (relatively) efficient use of mana on curve, and an overall increase in options. The change for my cube was so profound, that I'd recently begun to consider integrating a lot more evoke and kicker given how successful cycling has been in my environment. All of these effects have a benefit of smoothing out game flow while also increasing the depth of decision making at every phase of the game.

I realize I'm going off into a tangent that may be better housed in my own cube thread, but your list sparked the string of thoughts so here it is.

Last edited:
thanks for posting your list! i kind of independently ended up on a very low curve list earlier this year and have been very happy picking your brain and your list for possible includes. have you been able to do much testing with the recent adds?

I've done one draft so far with my paper playgroup on cockatrice with the non-singleton changes. Definitely too early to tell but the guys didn't seem to mind the breaks and enjoyed getting to play with aether vial a lot, so that was cool. Also mardu felt like an actually not unplayable mess which was nice.

I'm liking some of the swaps so far, but I believe you are using a strictly worse Shock art. Clearly the best shock is the English mystical archive version and not the Japanese mystical archive version.
:texas:

you can keep these kinds of clearly and obviously wrong opinions to yourself good sir.

I'm pretty new to this type of design in general, so I don't have anything particularly constructive to say about your list at the moment. I just wanted to say that I do really enjoy the low curve. I never really considered the advantages of being so aggressive in reducing average cmc in cube. As a former competitive player, I appreciate spell efficiency. I'm more of a competitive Johnny, and cling hard and fast to my convoluted synergies, but I enjoy considering what my environment could look like utilizing a similar general approach.

In a small way, I think some of us here have dipped our toe into the water by increasing the density of cycling effects in our cubes. Most cycling effects are not efficiently costed, but their modal quality leads to a (relatively) efficient use of mana on curve, and an overall increase in options. The change for my cube was so profound, that I'd recently begun to consider integrating a lot more evoke and kicker given how successful cycling has been in my environment. All of these effects have a benefit of smoothing out game flow while also increases the depth of decision making at every phase of the game.

I realize I'm going off into a tangent that may be better housed in my own cube thread, but your list sparked the string of thoughts so here it is.

I think an aggressively low curve allows for Magic to play most strongly to the strengths of its underlying mechanical systems. This is a personal preference thing of course, but I like games that begin quickly, involve multiple impactful decision points early, enter novel gamestates in a short number of turns and can resolve in reasonably quick amounts of time. I would much rather spend a play session playing a lot of 10ish minute long games against a wide variety of decks than a single multi hour long casual EDH game where most of the boardstate is irrelevant and few decisions matter.