Card/Deck Valakut

I play Scapeshift in Modern and I love the deck. Valakut is often great on it's own especially with omen, even without the combo kill. Seems sorta awkward to make work in cube, it either takes up slots or would be weird in a utility land draft. Any thoughts?

Potential synergy with fetches, oracle/courser, seismic assault and other "lands matter" cards.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I play Scapeshift in Modern and I love the deck. Valakut is often great on it's own especially with omen, even without the combo kill. Seems sorta awkward to make work in cube, it either takes up slots or would be weird in a utility land draft. Any thoughts?

Potential synergy with fetches, oracle/courser, seismic assault and other "lands matter" cards.

Valakut is a pretty interesting card and I've thought about tossing it into my Utility Land Draft pile before. The key is creating an environment where the components are potentially useful (read: maindeckable, not have niche gamestate applications while never making a final 40) without the full set of "valakut support".

As for Valakut itself, the first thing people see when they think of the card is mono-red. A deck filled with Mountains. This doesn't really happen in my environment, and even the mostly mono-red decks are playing various utility lands. Triggering Valakut (without assistance) requires at least 7 lands in play, and more for each non-Mountain you play.

Prismatic Omen is interesting in a Domain setting (and maybe I should just have it in Eldrazi Domain anyways?) and / or with multicolor decks, but the reward for the fixing it provides and land-type bonuses needs to be enough to justify a card. I am sure there are interesting ways you can make Prismatic Omen viable, with or without Valakut. The question is, does a Valakut need Prismatic omen in play to be useful?

Scapeshift is probably the narrowest of the bunch. It does stuff, but it's at the 4CMC slot and I would cut it almost every time I drafted it. I know there are Loam interactions and Landfall triggers, but a cube where Scapeshift is not super narrow is hard to envision.

Primeval Titan is awesome but people already know that.

Looking forward to ideas / discussion on this topic.

I can never really imagine Scapeshift making my 23 for a deck, let alone the 360. Prismatic Omen seems a lot more reasonable, works well with anything that uses a particular basic land type (why am I not playing Vedalkan Shackles in my modern sideboard????) and fixes for the "five color green" decks. And it makes fetches+Valakut oh so good. Still not sure it's not too narrow...

This guy also plays well and many people run him already:

Tutors up Valakut, filters your other lands into mountains. Then again having the green/white makes Valakut overall less good in the deck....

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Valakut on its own would be reasonable providing you have enough duals/shocks to keep it from being too narrow. Scapeshift is fine in a cube that has enough density of cards that want lands coming into play or in the graveyard and where the games are moving at a slow enough rate where a 4cc support card is playable. Not sure about prismatic omen as a broad enough synergy piece, but its probably not really necessary to capture the valakut feel. I suspect there are other less narrow land filter effects.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Than if you want to go deeper into the theme you have a number of more narrow cards that work well with scapeshift, but would probably need a lower overall power level, or specific supporting architecture (lack of sweepers, abundant bounce, mill sub theme ect.).

Edit: for some reason it isn't posting the cards, and is freaking out at scrib nibblers (which maybe it should?):

hedron crab
baloth woodcrasher
caustic crawler
cosi's ravager
territorial baloth
scrib nibblers