General W/B Lifegain

I've noticed that some users here are interested in this archetype, but are also unsure, if they want to add it to there cube. So I thought I could share my experiences a little bit and list the upsides and downsides of this archetype, and how it can be realized successfully.

Basically, the archetype wants two things from your cube. First, cards that gain you life, and second, cards that reward you for many life gain effects. Here I'll give you a few examples for both of different power levels:

Enablers

Lifegain is everywhere and finding cards that do it and fit into your environment is easy. You have it as EtB effects on creatures:

You have it on attacking creatures:

You have it on removal spells:

You have it triggering from all kinds of things you might do anyway:

Harder than finding lifegain effects, it is to find the perfect amount to support the archetype without having it be in every deck and weakening aggro heavily, but more to that later. Let's first focus on the other half, that makes an archetype out of this:

The payoffs.

The best payoffs, like always, are the ones, that can enable themselves. But there are only a few cards, that fit that criteria:

I personally run the latter two, since Archangel and Ajani are above my power level and I don't run PWs. I can recommend Path and have yet to find out if Dawn is good. But I run more payoffs. Here are a few more narrower ones, that I can still recommend in that they at least do their job very well:

I am also pretty sure, that the new Bloodthirsty Aerialist will be a homerun. But if you tell me no, that you don't like these payoffs, since they don't do enough without any life gain effects (except maybe the Familiar), then you are right. At this point, we don't have enough cards to go completely without narrow payoffs. But there are cards like this:

The (mostly black) lifepay card are a great way to get more flexible payoffs in your cube and also shape the lifegain deck to be more proactive. While all of them being flexible in nature, the more controllable and expensive ones are better as life gain payoffs. A regular deck might cast Slaughter twice. The Lifegain deck can do it many times more.

Upsides of the archetype:
- Good and fun theme for {W/B} (If you're not into tribal, it can be hard to find an orzhov theme)
- Enablers are super flexible (They are natural fits for dozens of other archetypes)
- Clear identity (Easy to grasp for your players, even newbies, makes {W/B} attractive)

Downsides of the archetype:
- Might become to slow (Solution: Make the deck proactive and more aggressive, add lifepay effects)
- Payoffs are sometimes narrow (Solution: Tell wizards to print more flexible ones)
- Can damage aggro (Solution: reduce the numbers of cards that gain you life and the amount of life they give you - Syndic of Tithes instead of Lone Missionary. Also, again, add more lifepay effects.)

Cross pollination:

- Blink (A lot of EtB life gainers like Lone Missionary, Kitchen Finks, Soul Warden ...)
- Tokens (Lifegain for tokens like Soul Warden/Blood Artist and lifelink tokens like from e.g. Martyr of Dusk)
- Landfall (A bunch of card gain life for lands like Retreat to Kazandu, Jaddi Offshoot, Grazing Gladehart)
- Sacrifice (A lot of cards give life for sacrificing like Falkenrath Noble or synergize with it like Oathsworn Vampire)
- Artifacts (Also many colorless cards have life gain, eg. Vault Skirge or Sylvok Lifestaff, also payoffs exist in Well of Lost Dreams)
- Control (Mostly because control likes life gain to stabilize. There is also a sweet finisher in Drogskol Reaver)
- Aggro (There is a serious amount of aggressive creature with incidental life gain. Also, Path of Bravery!)
- Vampires (There are many Vampires in those colors that gain you life and also some payoffs are vampires. Easy to create a tribal sub theme here.)
- I bet there are more!

All in all, I can recommend trying the archetype out. Me and my group, we had a lot of fun with it!

Another big payoff for the lifegain decks are the pay life card draw spells in black:

I think people have has success with this too:

These seem like a cool payoff and a combo with EtB gain.

This is definitely a deck I'm interested in adding, but I'm concerned a lot of the cards in it might be a bit narrow. Been pondering it recently.

After revisiting the minimalist artifact theme thread, I wanted to see if I could pull this off for the life gain deck. I am looking for cards that will fit in multiple archetypes and not stand out as overly narrow in the draft. I play at a high power level and wanted outside opinion on all of this because at this point I'm afraid I've lost all objectivity.

Why add the life gain cards

This sounds weird, but one reason I want to add this archetype is to enable a different kind of aggro deck. One that can snowball and have synergy with what the cube is already doing. Snowball aggro isn't something everyone wants, but I need it for aggro to be competitive in a MP environment. I'm not too concerned about the life gain cards being good against aggro since the cards are pretty aggressive by themselves.

Life gain payoffs

I support +1/+1 counters in white and all these cards seem good independent of the life gain deck. Resplendent Angel can even slot into a control deck as a early roadblock and late game mana sink.

I want to include Ajani, Strength of the Pride as making 2 dudes and gaining some life seems good for 4 mana but is he worth it? He has tokens, counters and life gain as possible decks. Really need outside opinion here as my mind is running circles!

Life loss as payoffs

Naturally black is great at this and the cards here fit into almost every deck effortlessly. I already try to run some lifelink guys or life gain guys in black to offset this and the white life gain will help. My biggest question mark for this whole post is would you play Bolas's Citadel? I have a lot of artifact synergies, I have sacrifice and token synergies (10 to each opponent is really strong) and now life gain. On top of that I have some extort guys (which is great in MP) which encourages you to cast spells. Is this enough? Please help!

Phyrexian mana is also great as a payoff and I have a lot :oops:

After that I could see myself adding an Orzhov payoff like Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim (generally decent) or Vizkopa Guildmage (more narrow).

So please feedback on Ajani, Strength of the Pride and Bolas's Citadel!

• Heart
Reactions: dbs

Cleric Class is my favorite lifegain build around now. Resilient because it's an enchantment, helps with developing your board, late game value because of the reanimation, flavorful. Fits in aggressive and controllish versions of lifegain. More decisions than most straight lifegain payoffs.

one thing i noticed, going through my own list, is that black is getting better at providing its own lifegain for its pay life effects, which is nice

The biggest problem with lifegain is still, even though we've had a few more iterations in sets, that the payoffs are still mostly narrow cards. I even thozght about removing the archetype, but it's my gfs favorite thing to draft and play, so I instead expanded it into green ... I mean, she's besically the only "regular" of my playgroup these days.

I just wish we'd have more cards like this piece of perfection:

I tried to get WB and BG life to work and it's close or barely ready, but it's a lot of effort. You're probably still better off pursuing something else and keeping an eye on life gain releases for now.

Well, since lifegain sources are so easy to come by, you could also just run very few, relatively strong payoffs. They would almost act like buildarounds ymand your deck would need more of a plan than getting that one card to trigger, but it's more interesting deckbuilding anyway if you have to combine themes and/or have a essential game plan that works without card/synergy XY.