General What to do with white's cool recursion?

White has gotten quite a few cards that allow for recursion. And yet, I haven't found a good use for them. Other than looping Reveillark, there hasn't been any cool decks powered by white's unusual cards and there must be. Look at this, isn't this a combo deck in the making?

But alas, other than bring back Emry and perhaps Lurrus, they haven't done too much. What could be a good use for these cards?

some other fun non-white sev targets (including some good recommission targets too):
WAR Narset
Standstill
Hall of Storm Giants
Tome of the Infinite
Sedgemoor Witch
LOTV
Recurring Nightmare
Mire’s Grasp
Laelia
Seasoned Pyromancer
Fable of the Mirror Breaker
Tireless Tracker
Celestial Colonnade
Baleful Strix
Kaito Shizuki
Creeping Tar Pit
Mob Nix
W6
Renegade Rallier
Tidehollow Sculler
Pernicious Deed
Wandering Mind
Oko
Rogue Refiner
Ferrous
Leovold
Raffine
Corpse Appraiser
Urza’s Saga

It seems like you need to either be fairly low power to have time for little recursions to gain advantages or fairly high power where your curve is so lean that getting back something that costs 3 is a meaningful mana advantage.

Personally, I haven't had too much success with these kinds of cards. Early game, there's no targets. Mid-late game, you can't get something that impacts the game enough.

That said, I always find it cute to Unearth an Eternal Witness. It's kind of build your own black one drop, which isn't that good, but, whatever.

the real advantage of Sev is against spot removal heavy decks, where you gain massive card advantage from it. it’s not usually a card you want against aggro or proactive midrange, but against decks that win by removing and out valuing, it’s immense comeback power

landofMordor

Administrator
yeah, i agree with Blacksmithy that i really want these cards as copies 2-4 of my best threats, to bring in vs. removal-heavy decks and to synergize with the things other colors have going on with the graveyard (Flooting, Thought Scour, golgari self-mill, etc etc). I certainly do not want to just play these at face value in my white weenie deck.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
That's fine by me. What do you want to recur in other colours?
blacksmithy and landofMordor make some excellent points. I like it in Smokestack-style decks as well, as well as a slow ramp option in conjunction with fetches in non-green decks. In your cube there's synergy with cards like Prized Amalgam and Liliana of the Veil, and there's a few build arounds that you like a 2nd copy of, like Soulherder, Rishkar, Peema Renegade, and Standstill (for Sev's Rec specifically).

White has gotten quite a few cards that allow for recursion. And yet, I haven't found a good use for them. Other than looping Reveillark, there hasn't been any cool decks powered by white's unusual cards and there must be. Look at this, isn't this a combo deck in the making?

But alas, other than bring back Emry and perhaps Lurrus, they haven't done too much. What could be a good use for these cards?
I actually play this deck. It's pretty fun!

You pretty much just take the good White versions of this effect...

...Add in 3x copies of Unearth...

...And then fill in the rest of the slots with enablers and things to reanimate. My favorite targets include:

There are lots of enablers, but the most fun in my opinion are of the Faithless Looting, Raffine's Informant, and Stitcher's Supplier persuasions.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I mean, just reanimating out a bunch of little creatures in an aggressive deck just seems good to me? Bring your best threat back from the yard. Recommission and Unearth both are mana efficient as well.
Unearth and Recommission are okay in that role, but for the slower reanimation effects, you're usually better off just running more redundant threats. Though, Call of the Death-Dweller has been very cool for me in aggro decks specifically! Hmm... maybe I should bring back Icatian Javelineers in my list :D

Unearth and Recommission are okay in that role, but for the slower reanimation effects, you're usually better off just running more redundant threats. Though, Call of the Death-Dweller has been very cool for me in aggro decks specifically! Hmm... maybe I should bring back Icatian Javelineers in my list :D
Isn’t and the likes a better fit for call of the death-dweller?
doing damage only once and being a roadblock is maybe a tad to fragile?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Isn’t and the likes a better fit for call of the death-dweller?
doing damage only once and being a roadblock is maybe a tad to fragile?
In my cube, UB and WB are the two color pairs that include black, and UR isn't a featured color pair. But yeah, in less weird cubes sure :)