Site News Work-in-Progress BBCode Tag Upgrade 2013-10-26 9pm EDT

Rob Dennis

Developer
Hello everyone, just wanted to say that I was going to be messing around with some of the MTG-specific BBCodes.

As part of a continuing improvement effort, I repackaged up Eric's current tags here:
https://github.com/riptidelab/RtlMtgCardBbCode

and I'll be swapping them in now. And the primary visual change, is that you'll see come extra buttons (See attachement).

c -> [ c ] -> card name autolinking
cd -> [ cubedeck ] -> cube deck picture layout
ci -> [ ci ] -> card image
d -> [ deck ] -> deck layout with autolinking

You'll also be able to check the bbcode help page for usage examples.

Thanks!
-Rob

(this should probably use the Site News thread tag picture, but I'm not able to set that)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-26 at 9.00.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-26 at 9.00.47 PM.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 4

Rob Dennis

Developer

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Rob, great work! Would it be possible to add some boilerplate code to the buttons that you used? Like, have it spit out some sample deck formatted the way it's supposed to be when clicking on the button? I don't actually remember how to make the decklists, and the only way I can do it is by quoting another post and adjusting. It'd be great if I could just alter the template after clicking the button instead.

Rob Dennis

Developer
unfortunately, after playing with it a bunch, it's not really possible the way you wanted it. There's a limit of 255 characters xenForo lets you put in the "content" field, and new lines aren't even respected.

I had hoped that the help page would be enough, because there's a template and example of it in action. We could try making that link more obvious? Right now it's at the top of the page, where it says "Forum Members Help"

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
There's always the old-fashioned option of just making a sticky post, explaining the details there.

Rob Dennis

Developer
looked into it a lot over at the xenForo add-on section, and outside of editing the template, unsure how to add a convenient link to help anywhere in the compose area.

I was wondering, would it help if I made the content of deck and cubedeck a link to help?

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Hmmm. That might be a bit.. odd.

I still think a sticky is the way to go. It'll blend into the background soon enough for us regulars, but newcomers will see it and and hopefully remember to go there when they need help.