Card/Deck WWhite Knights

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Real quick - what are people running as their {W}{W} creatures? Cubes only have room for a very small number of these restrictively costed bears, but lord knows there's tons of quality ones.

I currently have

though the more I support tokens, the less enthralled I am with the former.

I used to love

but he might be too impact in this day and age, compared to when he was a staple here when he was first released a couple years back.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Anafenza: Excellent with persist, evoke, blink, mass reanimation, or just curving out.

Precinct Captain: Works well with pump/combat tricks and the pseudo-vigilance it has is better than normal vigilance in many situations; also fine as a threat to board into with/against control decks as it can take over the game very quickly if backed up by removal

Knight of the White Orchid: Unique in white, minimizes disadvantage of being on the draw without enabling blowouts on the play

Other options:
8.5 Tails, Inquisitor Exarch, Knight of Meadowgrain, Knight of the Holy Nimbus, Leonin Relic-Warder

Anafenza is conditionally good with blink. It hasn't been universally good in my experience.

Sometimes you have her and one other dude. And you blink once and get a +1/+1 counter on her. Sweet. Then blink again and get it on the dude you blinked because now Anafenza is beefier. More blinking is a nombo until you get another guy out.

Worth mentioning because it seems in theory like it will always be good but then situations pop up and it's totally not what you want. If bolster let you put that +1/+1 counter anywhere, Anafenza would be the best WW card I've ever played though, so I get why it is limited.

Not a single one. There has to be a real edge gained if I'm running 2-drops that require such an early commitment, and I don't see any I'd really want in white. Anafenza does seem pretty sweet, will probably try her out sometime. Other colors though?

And then you can sort of cheat with hybrids:

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Hmmm, I hadn't ever considered Serra Avenger, even when I was running Aether Vial. Is a Phantom Monster that gives you back two mana good enough in cube?

Knight of the White Orchid reads incredibly well, but is so awkward on the play. I never know what I'm supposed to do with him, as running him out there turn two feels like horrible value, but purposely skipping the next two land drops is even worse. Even on the draw, you can't cast him profitably until turn three. Am I missing something here...?

Knight of Meadowgrain and Knight of the Holy Nimbus are my favourite combat-only knights, but I feel like for {W}{W}, I want the guy to do something more than tangle well in the red zone. That job's for the {1}{W} rank-and-file.

I really need to retry Precinct Captain; never gave him a fair shake the first time around because of my unusual attachment to Loyal Cathar.

Serra Avenger is fine. Relatively big flyer for cheap, lets the white aggro deck start playing 2 cards per turn without the cards all sucking.
Also one of our local guys started off 4-0 at one of the last actual PTQs with Modern UW "birds," but his strongest draws all involved t0 Leyline of Anticipation into t2 Serra Avenger on his opponent's end step. (Please don't run Leyline of Anticipation in your cubes)

I hate everything about Knight of the White Orchid for reasons Eric stated. IMO, you aren't missing anything. For what it's worth, I think Serra Avenger is better than a phantom monster which gets you back 2 mana because of the vigilance (which IMO is an underrated ability).

Precinct Captain is decent. I played him for quite a long time actually. But WW is a stiff cost. He's the sort of card you slot into your deck if you are heavy white. You don't choose to go heavy white if you see him early. And that is what I think CC cards should do. If I see bloodghast, unless I'm committed to another color I am very tempted to grab that and go heavy black. That card is retarded. Same with Smallpox (though I have an unhealthy love of mana denial strategies). Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit is a my new shiny so I'm excited to play that card right at the moment. We'll see how I feel about it 6 months from now though.

Is he actually good!? I like him a lot (playing merfolk always makes me want to do a happy dance), but I wasn't sure if he was worth a slot in my hybrid zone. :eek: Does he pay off in.. black aggro? Help blue beaters end the game faster? Both? Something else I'm missing?

Is he actually good!? I like him a lot (playing merfolk always makes me want to do a happy dance), but I wasn't sure if he was worth a slot in my hybrid zone. :eek: Does he pay off in.. black aggro? Help blue beaters end the game faster? Both? Something else I'm missing?

Sygg, River Cutthroat comes in and out of my cube. He's great for devotion. He's a good blocker early. He randomly can draw you a card when your opponent goes fetch into shock untapped (or if they don't want you to get the card, you essentially slow them down one land for that turn). And then later in the game if he's still alive and you are punching them in the face with something else, he draws you more cards and keeps you ahead on CA.

I mean, it's a ton of value from a 2 drop. But there are times I wish it was a different card in my hand. I'd suggest you try him though because sometimes he's can be pretty great.

I find abolisher incredibly boring and cathar super under rated.
Ananfenza and the cat seem fine but you guys are nuts about human themes right?