General Your Favorite Tier 2 and 3 Removal/Interaction Spells

The Esper color removal/interaction spells I really like that I think are tier 2/3.

Last edited:

some obviously playing on synergies present in a particular format. In some formats some of these tail off to <3rd tier. I really like the split card removal spells that have a optional beefcake secondary mode.

Last edited:
T2, T3 and T4 respectively.

What's the % of cubes that play open fire? o.O
I have a tough time calling that T2. Would you look at a cube running Burst Lightning and Mana Leak and think "pretty low powered, based on these second tier spells"?

Just because it isn't Lightning Bolt would make it tier 2 in Modern or a large singleton break, sure, but most cubes are interested in more than one 1 MV burn spell. Burst Lightning feels well within the top tier of 1 MV singleton burn.

That's the vibe I get from "tier 2." It would be something intentionally lower powered, like Shock or Strafe, or making a power sacrifice to fit a theme/role, like Pyrite Spellbomb. It wouldn't be "anything not Bolt."

Of course, it's all open to interpretation, but I think that's a really high bar.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Okay so whjen I think Tier 1 I think like: Bolt, swords, Dismember,(?) Mana drain
Not mana leak

don't get me wrong, mana leak is great.

But it could be better! (I didn't even see this movie what am I doing other than contributing to the death of language as we know it)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I dont love the concept of T0, but I'll grant you that mana drain might be there because it is more than just a counterspell

Okay so whjen I think Tier 1 I think like: Bolt, swords, Dismember,(?) Mana drain
Not mana leak

don't get me wrong, mana leak is great.

But it could be better! (I didn't even see this movie what am I doing other than contributing to the death of language as we know it)
I think Mana Drain is in a whole different league than all those other cards. By far.

To me, Mana Leak is pretty comparable to those three though it's probably the weakest of the set (it costs 2!). Either way, I believe both Mana Leak and Remand are the most powerful versions of the effect. Counterspell itself is a bit lower because UU is an important drawback when I'm looking for early interaction.

All other good counterspells are much narrower. I can see picking Force of Will, Cryptic Command, Condescend, Forbid and others higher than Mana Leak but only some of the time. On the other hand, I'm always happy with a Mana Leak in my deck.