Zanzibari Cats

Hi all! This here's my cube. It's a small combo cube for 2-6 players with an animating goal of "pull off some goofy shit." It's been a long road getting this thing to work, but it's now in a pretty good spot so I want to share it with y'all.

Why the Name?
There was this essay I read in school by some bigwig philosopher and at the end is the quote "It is not worth the while to go round the world to count the cats in Zanzibar."

This cube is named in honor of those cats, because I would love to travel to Zanzibar and count those fucking cats.

The Goals
Be Small: My play group is quite small and I move around a lot, so the cube is 288 cards, enough for 2-6 players. It was originally 270 but I wanted to fit in just a little more. That means more than other cubes, cards really got to fit in a lot of decks. This is most apparent with the color fixing, which is all applicable to >2 colors. One upside of a small size is that I can throw in 2-card combos like doomsday and be sure they'll come together

Be Creative: This cube started with inspiration from games like Slay the Spire and The Quest for El Dorado. I want to empower players to remain open throughout the draft, and I want plenty of combos you can assemble to win the game. To achieve this, strategies are either broad and present in all colors (e.g. artifacts with Jackknight, Whirler Rogue, Crabomination, Gut, True Soul Zealot, and Tough Cookie), or tiny packages with only a few cards (madness, blink, etc). Decks become a mishmash of all sorts of things.

Be Goofy: There turns out to be a pretty big overlap between me and the other experienced friends wanting to play powerful combos, and the less experienced friends liking to do goofy things and pop off. For something to make it into the cube, it has to be both effective and make players put on their silliest grins when playing them. What's goofy, then? In no particular order: flashing in academy rector to cheat out shark typhoon on turn 2, beating out that hoity-toity storm deck with dumb red aggro, using more or less to bring the escape cost of underworld breach to zero cards, and animate graveyard.

Be Relaxing: Of course the strongest combos are found in the likes of the MTGO vintage cube. These formats are super exhilarating, but perhaps too high-octane for myself and my casual friends. This means I don't want the cube to pressure players into thinking too hard if they just want to chill out for the night.

What I've Learned
The cube's seen regular weekly play for ~a year and a half now. Here are some of the lessons I've learned.

The Other Kind of Enabler. More or Less was the first card on this list, and what I thought was going to be just a silly card turned out to be exactly the kind of effect that makes this cube work. More or Less is an enabler not in the way that Faithless Looting is for your graveyard deck, but in that it provides that last piece for whatever combo or trick you're cooking up. Pieces like these enable homebrew combos by bypassing restrictions, supercharging your meat and potatoes, or giving you that last step in the Rube-Goldburg machine. I've been striving to include more of these kinds of cards in the cube and every one I've found does so well. Other cards that do this include Unexpected Potential and Cloudstone Curio and I'm always looking for more.

When Removal Doesn't Disrupt Combos, Pressure Does. Playing the best removal is something I had a feeling wouldn't fit in this environment. This was confirmed early on when an update brought in many more removal pieces to each color. The result was combo decks all taking a control slant to shut down fair decks, which wasn't fun. Instead what seemed to work was making aggro strong and ensuring that decks of all kinds can exert strong pressure. This is a much better approach in my environment because it also meets the "be relaxing" goal.

Good Sac Outlets Makes Aristocrats Work. It was after one of my drafters told me that Goblin Bombardment was her favorite card for aggro that I had this paradigm shift for aristocrats. It turns out that any and all creature decks have a use for sac outlets that give good value, and when an aristocrats deck comes together, its success comes from those sac outlets. Now my aristocrats package is simply free sac outlets and it works wonders!

Mana and Cards are Good (duh). Spreading general archetype support (that is: artifacts, enchantments, graveyard, and spells) to 4-5 colors created a huge variety of decks given the cube's size. But the combo side of things was quickly getting stagnant. To remedy this, I've been shifting archetype payoffs to pieces that give you cards and mana. I mean, what's more fundamental to Magic other than making mana and playing cards with it?

Magic is Ours. Sometimes, the current card pool just doesn't have what you want. I used to be active in the custom cards side of Magic, so I don't shy away from non-"standard" cards. There aren't any custom cards in here, but there are plenty of un-cards, playtest cards, and erratas.

Looking Forward
I need your help! My play group is expected to grow pretty soon, so I'll need to grow my cube to match. I'd like to add 72 cards to grow to 360. Considering the number of cards needed to add more fixing, removal, and threats, as well as to add enough redundancy to certain combos, I expect enough room for 1 or 2 more combos or packages. What is this cube missing? What are combos or single-card archetypes you'd recommend?

Here are some example decks to show the kinds of things people play with in this cube. These decks go as far back as last year, so not every card you'll see is still in the cube.

Izzet Storm

A typical spellslinging deck but not very aggro which is uncommon for red. It's got two interesting things going on. Kyren Negotations gives an inevitability to all the 1/1s getting made. Secondly this is the deck that comboed More or Less with Underworld Breach to dig through the deck with Frantic Search and win with Thassa's Oracle which was super rad.

Esper Enchantments

Black and blue bring a lot to the enchantments theme. This deck shows off the heavy-duty enchantments that black can offer, particularly Demonic Pact, one of my favorite cards. Shimmering Wings worked wonders to trigger Cloudstone Curio and Monastery Mentor.

Reverse Lantern Control

I was told this deck came out of a failed Kiki Combo attempt. It's definitely the most Rube-Goldberg-ish deck to come out of this cube. This is a mill strategy using Teferi's Tutelage and Mesmeric Orb. It would then recur Noxious Revival over and over to put lands on top of the opponent's library and shut them off of answers. Using Unexpected Potential for Sevinne's Reclaimation ended up being the piece that made this plane super consistent.

Really interested in the fact that you run the conspiracies here. How have they been playing for you and how do they tend to affect the draft? I feel like they're still sort of untapped potential for high power cubes despite how long they've been around.

The conspiracies enable a lot for drafters, and we love them! Unexpected Potential has definitely been the favorite, and I think it strikes that balance between the power of the effect and the fact that you're only giving up a draft pick for it. People have used it to splash a single card in a 4th or 5th color, or to ensure casting the likes of Kiki-Jiki Mirror Breaker on time. If there's one conspiracy I'd recommend, it'd be Unexpected Potential. Whatever silly plan a drafter is cooking up, chances are this conspiracy can make it possible.

Summoner's Bond makes creature-based combos incredibly consistent, but is also effectively used by aggro to curve out. It's honestly probably way too powerful because it's so easy to use and is free, but my friends like playing with it so in it stays.

The cube used to have Worldknit and it was super fun. The decks it made were strong, but it was never an automatic 3-0. The problem was that the worldknit player would end up stealing pieces from the other players. Drafts that had a worldknit deck had much fewer combo and synergy decks, so it had to be cut.

Others I've considered are Assemble the Rank and Vile (and co.) and Immediate Action to enable certain creatures to be combo pieces which sounds super fun. Weight Advantage was in there for a second, but the cube simply didn't have enough high-toughness creatures for it to work.

Very cool looking cube. I enjoy combos, so this is right up my alley.

I expect enough room for 1 or 2 more combos or packages. What is this cube missing? What are combos or single-card archetypes you'd recommend?
Since I notice you are a person of good taste running Paradox Engine, maybe Jeskai Ascendancy could be your cup of tea as well. It's more limited in what it untaps, but affects the board and filters cards/enables GYs.

Likewise, since you are running Earthcraft, I've had fun with Insidious Roots as a mana engine. It's a tricky puzzle to untangle. Also in Golgari, Squandered Resources is a powerful mana generating card.

Rielle, the Everwise could be a nice discard matters build around if you want more density for that archetype as you expand the cube.

Living Death is quite the card, but maybe the boardwipe aspect is too much. If so, Tombstone Stairwell could also reward you for flooding the GY and gives you fodder for sacrifice every turn.

Terror of the Peaks is a slow but powerful one to get going. It works in my multiplayer cube, but not my 1vs1.

Geralf, the Fleshwright would play well in that token Storm deck (that looks really sweet btw).

Luminous Broodmoth alongside a sacrifice outlet can either give your team evasion or double up on ETB triggers (it's been great in Boros alongside the Terror I mentioned).

Collector's Cage let's you cheat out something big pretty easily while affecting the board.

I am throwing a lot of stuff around, hopefully it will give you ideas!

I like these ideas! Some of them have already been considered and passed on mostly because I'm trying to stay away from non-hybrid multicolor cards.

Insidious Roots jumps out to me as something maybe worth breaking that for though. It just checks all those right boxes, so I'll give it a shot.

Where did you find Tombstone Stairwell? That card is goofy as hell! This card speaks to me.

Luminous Broodmoth is a card I skipped over a while ago for being too potent, but the cube's only gotten more powerful so it's probably a good fit now. It's also a way better persist combo piece than the current white one: Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit.

Is the cage consistent? I can see it easily cheating out what you put under it but looking through only 5 cards seems like a high whiff rate. But I haven't tried any hideaway cards so what do I know?

We'll be drafting next week and there's a chance there'll be more than 6 players. Hopefully I'll get to try out the expanded tech and report back.

Draft!!! Here are the decks.

Naya Flash

The only 3-0 was by this monstrosity of a deck. It was a naya goodstuff deck sporting Flash cast using Unexpected Potential. With only two targets, Flash only accounted for a couple wins. The big game winners were Guts, Goblin Rabblemaster, or just hard casting the 7-drops. This deck showed that Guts is way too powerful given how easy he is to use, which is a shame because he's the card that makes red artifacts just work. Also one-sided boardwipes are brutal and I should consider making a swap from Winds of Abandon.

WR Artifact Aggro

Going 2-1 is artifact-based aggro. This kind deck comes together in nearly every draft. I guess this means that there's room to cut one or two aggressive artifact pieces, but I'm hesitant to do so. The instant/sorcery matters cards didn't fit, but this deck has a unique little enchantment thing going on with Blood-Cursed Knight and Moon-Blessed Cleric which was effective.

Green Storm

This was my favorite deck of the night, a green creature "storm" deck going 2-1. It was definitely a contender for 3-0 but saw awful luck against the naya deck. During deckbuilding, this player was really worried that he didn't actually have a way to win, but it turns out that massive card draw + massive mana generation typically wins you the game. This deck was sick to watch. There's remnants of a failed intruder alarm combo in here; if it was replaced with another color with better removal this deck would've been much better against the high-pressure decks.

UR Breach

The second "storm" deck, which went 1-2. It used a typical approach of spewing out a bunch of spells to kill with Chrome Host Seedshark or Coruscation Mage with Underworld Breach to fuel it. What was interesting is the artifact-based mana generation that made it all work. Emry also proved to be super effective in using the spellbombs to lock down the board. I think the 1-2 record adds to the growing support that this cube needs an honest-to-goodness card with storm in blue or red.

Grixis Reanimator

This was my hodgepodge of a reanimator deck. When this deck worked, it worked super well. But it was super inconsistent. The splash of blue for Psychic Spiral was probably a mistake, but I love that card so much.

BG Graveyard

With an 0-3 record is a golgari graveyard deck. This drafter and I were definitely cutting each other out of the black graveyard pieces. If allowed to percolate, this deck could swing in for some crazy high attacks, but it wasn't fast enough nor could it exert enough pressure to compete against the other decks.

Summary
I had a concern on how this new (much more spikey) group might break this cube, but board pressure still won the day which is a good sign. I expect combo decks to only get better as we play more. Guts has to go, so I'll be looking for a replacement red wincon for artifacts. I'll also be ruminating between Brain Freeze, Empty the Warrens, or Noise Marine to add for that storm card.

I would slot in these two before Empty the Warrens

Being a full mana or two cheaper means you can more easily get away with smaller storm counts and they are easier to recur. I really like these because they play so well with creature mana generation like Earthcraft and Warren Soultrader.

Brain Freeze is S tier, so up to you to decide how much help Storm needs.

Thanks for reporting your testing with Gut. I had excluded him from my cube but he reads so well that I kept considering him. Now I am off it for real!