Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I can't imagine not running Bolt. 4 Edge seems fine.

I'd be sad to see it go, but if you REALLY want people to commit to their plays, I could see chain lightning over it. I've considered it, but I don't really feel the need to go that far.

RE: Wayfinder, To me he seems MILES better than mulch. So you're saying I can't draw multiple lands if I'm an absolute lucksack, but instead I gain 2-5 life and it counts towards my spider spawning? SOLD!
Grisly Salvage seems like exactly where I want this kind of effect to be, both in number of cards and things it can pick, but I don't like the 2 color-ness of it. Maybe it'd be okay (but strong) as a {1}{G} Sorcery?

I'm not a huge fan of elvish visionary either, but Wayfinder seems better than visionary does, since he actually helps an archetype as opposed to visonary who just kinda durdles.

Hermit Druid seems sweet, Wild Mongrel is seriously getting you down in cards, and Fauna Shaman is okay (but really slow) at filling your graveyard. Maybe if every time you were discarding vengevines or madness creatures, but that's not really filling your graveyard so much as a one way ticket to magical christmas land.

CML

Contributor
I'd be sad to see it go, but if you REALLY want people to commit to their plays, I could see chain lightning over it. I've considered it, but I don't really feel the need to go that far.

RE: Wayfinder, To me he seems MILES better than mulch. So you're saying I can't draw multiple lands if I'm an absolute lucksack, but instead I gain 2-5 life and it counts towards my spider spawning? SOLD!
Grisly Salvage seems like exactly where I want this kind of effect to be, both in number of cards and things it can pick, but I don't like the 2 color-ness of it. Maybe it'd be okay (but strong) as a {1}{G} Sorcery?

I'm not a huge fan of elvish visionary either, but Wayfinder seems better than visionary does, since he actually helps an archetype as opposed to visonary who just kinda durdles.

Hermit Druid seems sweet, Wild Mongrel is seriously getting you down in cards, and Fauna Shaman is okay (but really slow) at filling your graveyard. Maybe if every time you were discarding vengevines or madness creatures, but that's not really filling your graveyard so much as a one way ticket to magical christmas land.

nah mulch is better. play some magic and you'll see what i mean ;)

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member

This is more or less the exact logic that led me to include Satyr Wayfinder in my own cube over the likes of Mulch, Elvish Visionary, or Sylvan Ranger. The fact that he's slightly more versatile than each of the preceding cards gives him the edge, even if he isn't winning any trophies for Most Powerful Card.

No mana burn means this guy is really good. I mean... blue and black can't even get a 3/3 for 3. But coloress? With a pretty serious mana ramp on sac? Sure.

I can see the arguments both ways for damage on the stack, but wtf mana burn

I'm old school. As long as I've played this game, it was part of it. Sometimes it's relevant and makes a difference (tapping a land and getting two mana but only being able to spend one). Sometimes you take mana burn just to rob your opponent of his victory (take 6 mana burn on my turn so you can't kill me next turn). That last example is more tongue in cheek, but we've been known to do that sort of stuff because it's random and funny. I once bet a friend of mine that he wouldn't win the game next turn. He knew he had the game won so he agreed thinking I had some crazy out he wasn't seeing. I mana burned on my turn and won the bet. :)

I guess I just didn't like a lot of the changes that were ushered in with M10 and so I rejected the whole thing. 6th edition rules for life yo.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, the idea is cute, and I won't argue against it, but, I personally won't use it. Rules baggage and all. I already use up enough complication on things like Utility Land Draft.

I'm sure I saw this argument like 2 days ago, but citadel of pain just does a slightly different thing now, as you can just tap out, but that still means you can't cast instants.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Skullclamp blows. The conversion cost and rate are just completely broken. If you changed it to "draw a card" there would still be plenty of decks lining up to play the card. Its like Ancestral Recall levels of stupid, but instead of one shot of broken, its an engine of broken.

There may well be an environment where its totally playable, but not broken, but I don't think its worth the effort to try to find it.

Skullclamp blows. The conversion cost and rate are just completely broken. If you changed it to "draw a card" there would still be plenty of decks lining up to play the card. Its like Ancestral Recall levels of stupid, but instead of one shot of broken, its an engine of broken.

There may well be an environment where its totally playable, but not broken, but I don't think its worth the effort to try to find it.

Yeah. That's where I'm at on it unfortunately too. Even at draw one card instead of two it would be broken. I honestly don't know how that got out of QA.

As I recall, it did something else and both(?) got changed to the card draw at the last minute, and also got "nerfed" to give -1 toughness. And somehow then there wasn't enough time to test that properly before it got to print.