Sets [DTK] Dragons of Tarkir Spoilers Thread

Chris Taylor

Contributor
A fair polymorph is no polymorph at all. I like the idea of a blue mage transfiguring a bird into a gigantic mechanical whale. It's what magic is all about.

You know what Polymorph is when played fair?

be aware that you evaluate cards way way better than the average magic player, and know that there's better options that are more consistent, and better options that are cheaper, and better options that get rid of the creature without giving them another threat, but seriously. This card is pognify with rebound.
It's bad. But it's not "This has no purpose and shouldn't have been printed" level bad.

In this set, I dislike it as a potentially free dragon is really good. Forcing them to swap the dragon for (insert 4 drop here) hardly seems worth the 4 mana.

In this set, I dislike it as a potentially free dragon is really good. Forcing them to swap the dragon for (insert 4 drop here) hardly seems worth the 4 mana.

Is the average creature's cmc really going to be that high in most decks? Yeesh, I hope not. It also removes it from combat and does it a second time, so you can either try again or take out two dragons if need be.

I still don't like it. I think you only want to play it under the circumstances that you somehow have no good removal & are extremely desperate.

What if the non-creature cards went into the graveyard instead of the deck? That's a super bad idea in Delve-heavy formats; it would make the card worse. But if your cube is light on Delve or the cheesier graveyard shenanigns, maybe it could contribute to a "incidental mill" theme in UB much like the incidental lifegain theme people sometimes use for WB.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I still don't like it. I think you only want to play it under the circumstances that you somehow have no good removal & are extremely desperate.
Yeah, I have to agree here. I cut both Beast Within and Song of the Dryads, and the effect hasn't really been noticable. Green decks have an easy enough time splashing removal from other colors, and their creatures are very efficient as well. The green decks don't have use for a bad removal spell most of the time.

Chris Taylor

Contributor

Like I said: It's bad

Rapid Hybridization saw play in standard. Beast Within is a star card in commander. Hell, Proteous Staff is a decent commander card. This kind of effect isn't untenable, this just isn't a great version of it :p
centersoul.jpg

One of these cards can kill opposing phantasmal bears, but nobody's like "Ugh why did they print that?"

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Wizards, why you nerf a card that didn't see play.

Well...
1. There was hardly any incentive to play rebound cards during Emerge Unscathed's time in standard, other than value, whereas now we have both delve and, more importantly, prowess.
2. Emerge Unscathed was outclassed by Brave the Elements, which was far more powerful in the environment.
3. Emerge Unscathed is an uncommon, Center Soul is a common.

I think Emerge Unscathed would have been a good deal better in this environment than it was during its previous stint in Standard. Maybe they don't want a one-mana counterspell that feeds one of the signature mechanics of the block in a big way?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Is there more to that wall theme? I like the card, but as a draft build-around, I would want some more redundancy in effect.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Is there more to that wall theme? I like the card, but as a draft build-around, I would want some more redundancy in effect.
Yes, but most of it is pretty crappy...

Huh, Krovikan Plague is weird...

Oracle text: Tap enchanted creature: Krovikan Plague deals 1 damage to target creature or player. Put a -0/-1 counter on enchanted creature. Activate this ability only if enchanted creature is untapped.

So, I can still activate it only once per turn, but it's not an activated ability of the creature? Using the wording on the card this would be a {2}{B} cross between Innocent Blood and Plague Wind. Pretty gross.

Hahaha, searching for "wall" takes you through some pretty hilariously bad old rares.

Yeah baby, this is your reward for a shakier mana base!

Anyway. No, walls are much, much worse than vampires in cube.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Went over to MTGS for more opinions:
impacttremors.jpg

Purpherous might be too much, but this looks interesting

bloodchinrager.jpg

I passed right over this guy who is probably good enough with 0 other warriors in the cube

dragonhunter.jpg

Sweet basic body, not inspiring, but I like this random upside more than soldier of the pantheon for example

securethewastes.jpg

Try not to say "Secrete the Waste" every time you cast this

DRAFT FLAVOR CHALLENGE:

Make this happen by pulling a zombified Sidisi. Sidisi exploits her sultai emissary so she may manifest something wicked from her library whilst she seeks out just the right spell to win.

I read Blood-Chin Rager, thought, "Shit, this card is amazing incidental tribal" and immediately reversed my opinion on Arashin Foremost, slamming both into my cart with authority. It was my #2 card from Dragons of Tarkir, so it didn't get an awesome article, but it probably deserved one more then Soulflayer did.

Yeah, I glanced over these two when looking over the set, but with all the incidental warriors we've been getting, they're pretty sweet. I'll definitely give them a run once I snag a copy of each.