Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
They changed the oracle text on Waylay specifically:

"Put three 2/2 white Knight creature tokens onto the battlefield. Exile them at the beginning of the next cleanup step."

Rally exiles during upkeep.

Otherwise, you can use the Waylay trick, but it doesn't work for those particular cards.

I know I'm pretty down on this card since wizards ruined it but with the recent inclusions of two new great regrowth commands and to a lesser extent better creature buffs being printed I think it may be time to give him another look.

He's also great in the RG Pressure + Regrowth + Blazes decks I talked a little about recently, I know I've had a lot of success in peasant games where I've played him or sylvan ranger or something off a BTE on turn 2 and just kept chipping away.

I'm just saying (Turn 2 Elder -> Turn 3 Ojutai's Command regrowing elder and countering a spell then sacing your elder -> Turn 4 six cc play) sounds pretty good.

I think I might be somewhat biased though because playing peasant and playing chris' cube tends to expose you to a lot of solid bestow and custom equipment so incidental bodies are plain more valuable.

Lucre: ...Did people really stop running STE? The only argument I see for that is it's too good in midrange vs. aggro. It's flexible Rampant Growth that's not blank lategame!

Jason: After all that effort making things fun with Brainstorms, now you want to ruin it? :(

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Lucre: ...Did people really stop running STE? The only argument I see for that is it's too good in midrange vs. aggro. It's flexible Rampant Growth that's not blank lategame!

Jason: After all that effort making things fun with Brainstorms, now you want to ruin it? :(

I don't want to ruin it, I just put in counter-cards to every strategy I introduce. More graveyard hate / exile effects when Gravecrawlers came in, search and trigger hate when Pod was introduced, anti-lifegain when I attempted lifegain. Spirit seems like an appropriate puzzle, and isn't a blowout like Notion Thief.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I've never actually taken the 2 minutes to read this card.

The oracle text is a lot clearer though:
If a player would draw a card except the first one he or she draws in his or her draw step each turn, that player discards a card instead. If the player discards a card this way, he or she draws a card. If the player doesn't discard a card this way, he or she puts the top card of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
Uuuuuuuuuh... Brain... melting...

9/16/2007: Here's what happens when Chains of Mephistopheles replaces a player's draw: -- If that player has at least one card in his or her hand, he or she discards a card and then draws a card. -- If that player's hand is empty, he or she puts the top card of his or her library into his or her graveyard. The player doesn't draw a card at all.
Ah... that makes more sense!

How does the replacement effect not replace it's own replacement effect (since that also forces you to draw a card)? Juuuuuuuuuudge!

CML

Contributor
i like the wadds cards in theory but havent been so into them in practice. spirit is less desirable than, i dunno, daring skyjek, accorder paladin, maybe on par with wandering champion

covenant is dope enough but narrow enough i'd rather fiery justice

dunno why anyone would cut STE

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
It's probably dumb, but I'm currently testing Satyr Wayfinder in the place of Sakura Tribe Elder. I'd like to introduce more minor graveyard elements to my cube, but haven't fully pulled the trigger on it yet.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
It's probably dumb, but I'm currently testing Satyr Wayfinder in the place of Sakura Tribe Elder. I'd like to introduce more minor graveyard elements to my cube, but haven't fully pulled the trigger on it yet.
You should probably run both then. Sakura tribe elder is incidental support, which, you know, is how you make themes fit in your cube.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Image.ashx

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
You should probably run both then. Sakura tribe elder is incidental support, which, you know, is how you make themes fit in your cube.

I run both, and STE is probably the better card, but last draft two people lamented the fact that the Satyr Wayfinder didn't wheel. It's so much more fun in a deck with a little graveyard synergy! Anyway, yeah, find room for the Wayfinder, it's awesome! But also keep STE, because it's such a nice value play in green that does exactly what you want out of a green two-drop (chump for a turn and fetch a land).

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
STE is a card that does a lot but looks innocent. As others have stated, it bins itself which is great for things like T3 Meren of Clan Nel Toth or whatever Delve shenanigans you have going on. And actual land ramp (not mana elves) IMO is a supremely powerful thing that has way more impact during actual games of Magic than it generally does in theory craft discussions. But maybe it's not as good in quad-wasteland metas? I don't know. Anyway, I think it's why I like Coiling Oracle so much. On paper, it seems like a wasted guild slot but if you can cast it T2, it's an automatic play for me over most anything (so great following T1 brainstorm too). I do run a lot of equipment though, so 1/1 bodies are potential threats.