Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Few cards win games by themselves like Swans. No card loses games by themselves as Swans.

It's a great WR and UR card, can be used effectively as sideboard, and eats removal very, very often. Most interesting W/U hybrid, easily.

Goes very well with Pyroclasm, Wildfire, Molten Vortex, Crater Hellion, pretty much any burn spell/ability.

I found no references to this in riplab:

I like how it gives an out to aggro, punishes ramp and creates tension on a decision that is usually automatic - dropping lands. It does lack interaction, but in limited doses that isn't so bad.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Goes very well with Pyroclasm, Wildfire, Molten Vortex, Crater Hellion, pretty much any burn spell/ability.

I found no references to this in riplab:

I like how it gives an out to aggro, punishes ramp and creates tension on a decision that is usually automatic - dropping lands. It does lack interaction, but in limited doses that isn't so bad.

My worry is that it doesn't actually create tension. As a one-of, how many scenarios exist where it's actually correct to play around this? If your opponent is in topdeck mode and you're on 6 life, are you going to forego playing your 6th land and finisher to try to play around this?

Second question: is ramp something you want to punish? Drawing from a related experience, I ran Price of Progress for all of one draft, before seeing it in play and realizing I didn't want to be punishing players for playing their utility lands.

Certainly worth a test though, just keep an eye on whether your hopes about the card hold true in practice.

My semester is almost over, so I can go back to spending all my waking time obsessing over my Cube! Woo!

Thoughts on
, , and ?

I'm planning to fiddle more with my power level in an update I'll be working on this afternoon, and Godhead seems like a really fun, spicy option for UW to replace Venser.
Elixir seems like a fun Trinket Mage target (who I'm strongly wanting to doubling up on), but I worry about it being too crappy.
Explosives seems sweet but Pernicious Deed never got played here, and at 18 bucks I would really like a firm recommendation from one of you clever folks.

Why did deed never see play there?

Multicolour cards are hard sells here unless they help advance a specific strategy (like Lotleth Troll) or are "fun/cool" (like Sire of Insanity). As such, I cut Lightning Helix, Electrolyze, and Pernicious Deed because no one was picking them. The general consensus was that "generic removal effects" don't belong in multicolour, which I've tended to agree with since. I think it might've done better in another colour pair, but BG is pretty much never control-y over here, and we aren't really 5c control types, so it wheeled forever. Unfortunate, since I love the flavour text, but, so it goes.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I've cubed with Engineered Explosives, but when I swapped it out, this was actually more effective in practice:

It's great when you want a cheap answer to tokens, doesn't ask anything of your mana base, and lets you change it up on the fly if you see a new, more expensive threat after casting it.

I've cubed with Engineered Explosives, but when I swapped it out, this was actually more effective in practice:

It's great when you want a cheap answer to tokens, doesn't ask anything of your mana base, and lets you change it up on the fly if you see a new, more expensive threat after casting it.

Yeah, my love of Ratchet Bomb and Trinket Mage were the primary forces driving my Engineered Explosives interest. Was EE not good enough for your environment, or was the switch more of a "let's-mix-things-up" decision?

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Is that a product of format speed though? EE is a great card, but tremendously awkward if its being played as a wrath that requires a two turn investment. In a low CC format, ratchet bomb seems similar, but not as mana intensive.

I'll second the love for ratchet bomb and elixir of immortality! They're both super fun, and while elixir is very easy to undervalue, just try it in a graveyard or control deck sometime. You'll see. YOULL ALL SEE!
Also, EE is cool too. But its by no means necessary or even desirable for every format

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Engineered Explosives is amazing. I run a super fast format, and it's great here. 3 mana, kill two aggro one-drops. 4 mana, wreck your bitterblossom. That happened tonight. EE sees play in high-powered constructed, and Ratchet Bomb sees play nowhere.

I'll second the love for ratchet bomb and elixir of immortality! They're both super fun, and while elixir is very easy to undervalue, just try it in a graveyard or control deck sometime. You'll see. YOULL ALL SEE!
Also, EE is cool too. But its by no means necessary or even desirable for every format

The high-power card to compare Elixir to is Time Spiral, imo, which is also cool and fun and interesting. I like EE over RB but some of my drafters don't. Also Explosives plays better with Academy Ruins, imo

Laz

Developer
I am currently testing out Magus of the Moon to keep 'those rascally multicolour decks off of my lawn'. No idea if it is needed, and it hasn't come up yet, but I think it could be fun.