Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Avalanche Riders

No consideration for this guy? Sure is a lot cheaper than Fulminator Mage to acquire, and it works just as well really.

Wow, that is actually a really neat design. The echo cost probably never gets paid, it's just there to encourage you to play more redlike and swing and go and go all in. I think it's a lot better than the hasteless apes.

But all this land destruction love is surprising me, I thought land destruction was Bad For Magic?

Roadbutter said:
R&D has a strange relationship with land destruction. We want it to exist because it adds interesting elements to gameplay, but experience has shown us that land destruction-themed decks piss off the majority of our players. So, we reached a happy compromise. We'll keep doing land destruction but we rein it in so the deck exists but mostly in a non-tournament viable form. Pillage was a cool card but having a second Stone Rain for three pushed land destruction harder than we liked. Demolish is simply a slightly weaker Pillage.

But all this land destruction love is surprising me, I thought land destruction was Bad For Magic?
A single piece of LD is great play for an aggressive deck to make to extend the early game by a turn.

In terms of LD, I've currently got:

And I've been considering Fulminator Mage for its synergy with K-Command.
Avalanche Riders (and other echo creatures) is fantastic in Pod decks as sacrifice fodder.

Fulminator Mage is sweet, I've been cubing with it as long as I've had a copy and it's been awesome every time. You're taking up a turn's worth of resources to cast it most times so it's pretty fair, only busted if you come up with some sorts of shenanigans to break that resource parity (i.e. Unearth, Alesha ability, etc.).

My land destruction package consists of Fulminator, Acidic Slime and Wastelands. I guess Song of the Dryads sorta counts as well by attacking a greedy manabase. I can't really find a 4 drop slot for something like Avalanche Riders at the moment, but I'd love to try it out in the near future sometime. Nonbasic land hate is a great way to keep people honest in Cube and is fine when it isn't oppressive.

Blood Moon is something that I would not consider cubing because of how narrow and uninteractive it is, but Magus of the Moon seems fine simply because a body is easier to remove than an enchantment.

Here's what I run for nonbasic hate:

nrZFfRSm.png

(the FT is a clunky Hadestown reference. not sure if it's necessary?)

I'm really curious about Magus of the Moon and will be testing it out; my guess is that it's too heavy-handed but it might be a really interesting angle for red decks and hey, it also interacts with fetchlands. I want my players to respect fetching basics and he's not the worst way to lean on that. (the worst way is probably blood moon, so again, caveat magus)

The thing that I like the most about Avalanche Riders is that it prompts you to find some way to get extra value out of it. Whether that's flickering it in response to the Echo trigger, reanimating it after, sacrificing it before, whatever, the base rate on an 8-mana 2/2 is so bad that even your least intuitive drafter will look to find something. If you emphasize a humans-matter theme don't forget to get the Time Spiral version since it's the only one typed "Human Nomad".

Imperial Recruiter can find a tonne of land destruction spells in the right cube but honestly you need to be careful about how stilted you make your 3-4 sections, you don't want to end up like the normies and have a red 4cc section that only knows how to do one thing.

Imperial Recruiter can find a tonne of land destruction spells in the right cube but honestly you need to be careful about how stilted you make your 3-4 sections, you don't want to end up like the normies and have a red 4cc section that only knows how to do one thing.
I mean, as is, people's red 4's are largely 4/2's or 3/3's with haste that buff your team. Having some LD there would actually be a nice variation for me.

ember swallower (laziness lookup link)

oh wow, that is just insulting. I thought vanilla creatures like summit prowler were supposed to get bigger bodies, and fancy creatures be a little smaller. Rarity doesn't equal power, claim the sages who write articles encouraging us to buy cards?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
ember swallower (laziness lookup link)

oh wow, that is just insulting. I thought vanilla creatures like summit prowler were supposed to get bigger bodies, and fancy creatures be a little smaller. Rarity doesn't equal power, claim the sages who write articles encouraging us to buy cards?
Oh come on, Summit Prowler is a common, and a very average one at that, of course that matters! Or are you going to complain about Juzam Djinn and Ernham Djinn and countless rares after that as well? Ember Swallower is a sweet card for those supporting Wildfire strategies and nowhere near the most powerful red four drop.

try cutting boring haste guys from your red 4cc except maybe koth and see if your games get any more interesting. Red twos that only attack above curve are also pretty Zzzzzzz

That used to be the case, until like 2003. But now most constructed-playable cards are rares or mythics. Boosters are really now draft packs with one slot for a card.

Ok, this is a bit of an exaggeration, there are a couple of playable commons and uncommons. They are usually utility - removal, discard, filler creatures, sideboard material - so few competitive decks are made of less than 40% rares/mythics, which tend to be the centerpieces.

Want to do something fun with my Izzet section instead of generic Fire/ice, Izzet charm and co...

How do I break this ?
Jhoira of the Ghitu

How about in a control/super ramp shell? Suspend giant bombs, stall for 4 turns, profit. If Jhoira dies, you just hard cast the monsters instead so she is not your only win condition.

It's probably more trouble than it's worth, but I've wanted to break this card too so curious if anyone has put this in their cube and had it be good.