General MTGO 'Vintage Cube'

So Adam Prosak is announcing that the Holiday Cube will now be the Vintage Cube.

Here's the skinny on the changes:
-no Time Vault b/c it's too strong
-Storm is "really difficult to pull off", powered by draw-7s and artifact mana
-Painlands are out and temples are in, because fuck any kind of aggro deck, that's why
-Running a colour-imbalanced list, 91 blue cards to 86 of WBRG
-"I want it to be possible to draft successful non-blue decks. If you are the only player drafting white cards in the Vintage Cube, you should still end up with the most powerful deck at the table."

CUTS//ADDS
Black loses Bloodsoaked Champion, Bloodghast, Nether Void and some mono-B kitsch for good cards, Red drop Greater Gargadon and Punishing Fire for good cards, blue gets JVP and some combo/control offerings, White loses Dragon Hunter to get Kytheon, and Green loses Krosan Grip, Life from the Loam and Troll Ascetic for Managorger Hydra and Den Protector. Was on board until the green cuts tbh

gold: Jeskai Ascendancy, Voice, Teeg and Shardless Agent are all not powerful cards i guess? they leave, we get D-Lord Dromokes and her command. She's a cute but imo misguided appropriation from Dragon Bomber Oath where its inclusion as a reanimator target is a meta call. Any kind of presumption that "successful non-blue decks" (fair decks? these are different) will be helped by losing Voice and Teeg is kinda silly imo!

artifacts: Hedron Archive is a terrible idea but whatever it's a clean 1:1 swap for Masticore. RIP masticore
lands: Volrath's Stronghold leaves, Nykthos enters. they're really not subtle about this 'only play 1 colour' thing huh?

Some nods to artifact combo strategies but it's largely the same Cube as the Holiday Cube, it just has a less seasonal and accurate name.

It's a 540, the 360 full power experience rules though and I agree with you
Oh so it's entirely likely no one in your draft will see the storm cards you need to win with the shell, but it's stupid supporting cards will still be there to pollute other peoples drafts.

All for the sake of what? Variety? In your strict singleton format?

Oh so it's entirely likely no one in your draft will see the storm cards you need to win with the shell, but it's stupid supporting cards will still be there to pollute other peoples drafts.

All for the sake of what? Variety? In your strict singleton format?

Bring To Light is actually pretty good here but yeah the availability of storm enablers was real dicy. I did two test drafts and an abortive third one, here's the best """storm"""" deck I could make and any kind of 4+storm play literally needs Power or proximate-Power:

Powerful Storm Oath of Protection from The Abyss from CubeTutor.com

god you're so fucking ambitious

it'd be fun to see if i could win a game, yes

please note the Chrome Mox / Progenitus synergy i'm so proud of it

maaaaybe this isn't a skullclamp deck but idk drawing cards is pretty good
basic mountain prob. also stupid

Laz

Developer
I honestly have no idea how to judge that list. Cubes with power in them are just completely outside what I am familiar with, though my current working theory is that you can't really go too far wrong. I mean, when you include power, you are signing up to a couple of games being completely one-sided affairs every cube night, so what is a few more games ruined by a list that is less than perfectly designed?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone here on Riptide made a Riptide-esque fully powered cube?

Not one that's actually been drafted, to my knowledge. We've talked about what it would entail, but I don't think anyone has put in the legwork to really get things off the ground. Last I remembered we were on some concept that involved giving away free moxen and FoWs and the like. Certainly not something we can test on the MTGO account. :p

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I still don't get those jokes ._.
(might be because I'm not a native speaker)

Okay, I'll explain. So if someone is all like "I'm going to punch you right in the kisser" (kisser = mouth), then the other guy would be like "kiss'er? I hardly know her"

The joke here is that "kisser" sounds like a kind of dialect way to say "kiss her", which is something you (generally) do with people you are already familiar with.

That's the established joke format. Then we crank in some absurdity when we say something like "Beuhler? I hardly know 'er", because there's no such verb as "beuhl". We're just subverting an established lame joke format.

Okay, I'll explain. So if someone is all like "I'm going to punch you right in the kisser" (kisser = mouth), then the other guy would be like "kiss'er? I hardly know her"

That explains everything, thanks! For some reason I always read it as "I hardly knew 'er" which makes even less sense.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
In all seriousness, the distribution of moxen would likely depend on draft dynamics. If they are just an auto-first-pick lottery, is that something we want?