General Custom Cards: The Lab

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Ok, that was a rather large wall of images and small text. Let me make it easier.

Blinding Drone.jpg Eldrazi Displacer.jpg Matter Reshaper.jpg Thought-Knot Seer.jpg

These or the originals? Which would you prefer?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Blinding Mage sucks as a blocker? I mean, a 1/2 isn't enough of an improvement over 1/1 to make me want to run Blinding Mage over Gideon's Lawkeeper (which is already in my cube).

Edit: Also, some Eldrazi cards have started to trickle into the online lists (man, it's so cool to be featured!), so I'll reserve judgment until I have played with the cube probably and ask for feedback on the topic of colorless in specific.

On a related note, whenever I drafted your cube a couple times, I didn't have any idea how easy it would be to get colorless. I ended up avoiding the colorless cards because of that. Getting a feel for fixing can take a few drafts so I wouldn't be surprised if other (random) people did the same thing. If your regular drafters mention its difficult to use/don't draft the colorless creatures, then you might actually need to look into it.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
On a related note, whenever I drafted your cube a couple times, I didn't have any idea how easy it would be to get colorless. I ended up avoiding the colorless cards because of that. Getting a feel for fixing can take a few drafts so I wouldn't be surprised if other (random) people did the same thing. If your regular drafters mention its difficult to use/don't draft the colorless creatures, then you might actually need to look into it.

Yeah, fair enough. I guess that in non-custom environments this can be a greater deal, as most of the consensus best lands don't tap for colorless mana.

Rattleclaw Ursine 1UG
Creature - Bear
Prowess
When ~ dies, return target green or blue spell with converted mana cost 3 or less from your graveyard to your hand.
3/1

Trying to help my UG self-mill archetype. I may need to rethink the flavor since it's a jeskai keyword on a temur themed creature. Woops.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
So I'm adding new Eldrazi to my cube to aid the colorless theme, but I'm kinda ambivalent on the 4cmc one.

Eldrazi Spellspawn.full.jpg

It's not bad, but I don't love the design. Anyone of you have good ideas for a {3}{c} colorless Eldrazi I can pilfer?

Eldrazi Poop Flinger 4
Creature - Eldrazi
When you cast ~, search you library for a non-creature, non-land card and exile it. It gains suspend 1.
4/2

Meh Idk

I'd be super excited to play this!

Maybe a slightly "more fair" version:
Eldrazi-on-Alara-Oh-My! {3}{c}
Creature - Eldrazi
Cascade
4/2

This might actually be the perfect place for the weird spins on Cascade I tried with Izzet Pyrocrat. I'm thinking specifically:

Eldrazi Ambushers {3}{c}
Creature - Eldrazi Drone
Flash
Cascade into Eldrazi
4/2

(or Cascade Into Colorless, which might need a different keyword, like Extrude or something)
but Cascade letting you have the Eldrazi cast-triggers is a big deal so 3/2 flash might be more fitting. Also, what's the problem with Thought-Knot Seer? That guy rules!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
This might actually be the perfect place for the weird spins on Cascade I tried with Izzet Pyrocrat. I'm thinking specifically:

Eldrazi Ambushers {3}{c}
Creature - Eldrazi Drone
Flash
Cascade into Eldrazi
4/2

(or Cascade Into Colorless, which might need a different keyword, like Extrude or something)
but Cascade letting you have the Eldrazi cast-triggers is a big deal so 3/2 flash might be more fitting. Also, what's the problem with Thought-Knot Seer? That guy rules!
I love TKS, there's no problem with it, I just don't want to run two :) Cascade into colorless, nonland card sounds fun though! It's more of a draft around design than my card, which is just random luck. I like the build around me part way better! Don't know if I want a 4/2 flash, that ability would also be good on a vanilla 3/5.

I love TKS, there's no problem with it, I just don't want to run two :) Cascade into colorless, nonland card sounds fun though! It's more of a draft around design than my card, which is just random luck. I like the build around me part way better! Don't know if I want a 4/2 flash, that ability would also be good on a vanilla 3/5.

Cascade into colorless has the odd (but powerful) upside of allowing you to run counterspells and not feel bad hitting them off of cascade!

I've wanted to come up with shard tribrids ever since khans block.
Voice of Asha XG
Creature - Avatar
Flash
Voice of Asha enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
When Voice of Asha enters the battlefield, tap each other creature. Those creatures don't untap during their controller's untap step.
1w/u, exile two cards from your graveyard: Return Voice of Asha to its owner's hand.
0/0

Agent of Hegemony W (maybe should be 1W and a 2/2?)
Artifact Creature - Golem
Skulk
Players can't search libraries.
u/b, exile Agent of Hegemony from your graveyard: Players can't search libraries this turn. Draw a card.
2/1

Nekusar's Advisor 2U
Creature - Zombie Wizard
Instant and sorcery cards in your graveyard have Flashback 3U.
Creature cards in your graveyard have Unearth 3b/r.
3/2

Wanton Predator 3B
Creature - Beast
Menace
2r/g: Wanton Predator gains double strike until end of turn.
When a creature dealt damage by Wanton Predator dies this turn, put a +1/+1 counter on Wanton Predator.
3/4

Godseeker 1R
Creature - Elf Shaman
Multikicker 1w/g
Godseeker enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each time the kicker cost was paid.
When Godseeker dies, look at the top X cards of your library, where X is Godseeker's power. Put a creature card from among those cards onto the battlefield.
2/2

Aoret

Developer
Fun design but it doesn't feel like a bant tribrid to me. The X counters design is RG, flash is UW and maybe G, tapping stuff is UW, and recurring is BW. All of these abilities are fine and probably cool in some combination, but they don't add up to a green card with a U/W activated ability in my mind

Edit: was on mobile and somehow didn't see the rest of the cards

Voice of Asha is also incredibly OP. It turns any kind of creature-based match into an auto-win if they don't have instant speed removal.

Agent of Hegemony seems reasonable. I like the callback to the original colored artifacts in esper.

Not sure about Nekusar's Advisor. It's basically repeatedly casting Mizzix's Mastery (without needing red) and Corpse Dance (but targeted) on an on-curve body. Probably fair?

Wanton Predator looks simple but its abilities work nicely together. My only problem with it is that it doesn't feel black at all. Maybe you can play with the flavor to get it right.

Godseeker needs a CMC restriction on its trigger. Otherwise it's just going to randomly end games on turn 3.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
A lot of these feel off in some way to me. A lot of the abilities match the off-color activation cost as far as color pie is concerned, but don't actually need those colors. Tapping and freezing creatures on a mono-green card, skulk on a mono-white card, "discovering" creatures and putting them onto the battlefield on a mono-red card. Individually,

Voice of Asha's main effect is way out of the color pie for green (despite Winter's Blast existence). In addition to that, X/X flash for {X}{G} is a pretty decent rate at mid to high values of X (though it is a bad-ish early drop). The fact that you can return it to your hand, however, means that even if you have to trigger it early to save some damage, you can always cash it in for a big Sleep later on. Not a fan.

Agent of Hegemony is a cute card, and apart from the skulk ability, which feels really out of place in white, there's nothing wrong with it. I think it's infinitely more interesting as a 2/1 for {W} than as a 2/2 for {1}{W}. Skulk is a nice ability on a 2/1 for one mana though.

Nekusa's Advisor seems filthy with blue's card filtering and big spells. Cast Advisor, activate Merfolk Looter, next turn flashback Cruel Ultimatum, attack with my blue 3/2? I don't know, this seems pretty "deal with this now or die". Also, Wizards has not printed a 3/2 for {2}{U} yet, not even for {1}{U}{U}. Those are simply not blue stats. With an effect this powerful, a 2/2 would be plenty I'ld think.

Wanton Predator once again has an off-color ability, as there isn't a single mono-green card with double strike, not one that grants it. Double strike is a strictly white and red ability. I like how the menace interacts with the Sengir Vampire ability, but I would like something else for the activated ability. Maybe self-pump? That's something both red and green dabble in, so something like "{2}{R/G}: Wanton Predator gets +2/+1 until end of turn. Activate this ability only once each turn." would achieve roughly the same as double strike, and is much more on-color.

Godseeker is the biggest color pie breaker, as its deathrattle ability is a strictly green effect. Why not make that ability a Threaten effect? "When Godseeker enters the battlefield, gain control of target creature with power/cmc/toughness* X or less until end of turn, where X is Godseeker's power. Untap that creature. It gains haste until end of turn." You can keep the same kicker cost and still have it matter, but you get a much more red effect, that's super awesome in aggressive decks to boot!

*pick one

But it literally says "2/1", "skulk", and "player's can't search libraries". And then the hybrid mana ability is the shadow of doubt. Just a 2/1, "can't search" is mindlock + lion

Probably should just take out the reference to lions, cuz furtive homunculus is a 2/1 already. That also firmly removes it from white entirely.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
But it literally says 2/1, skulk, can't search libraries. For W. The hybrid mana is the shadow of doubt. Just a 2/1, "can't search" is mindlock + lions

Probably should just take out the reference to lions, cuz furtive homunculus is a 2/1 already. That also firmly removes it from white entirely
Also, you can't simply add those mana costs together, oftentimes you can simply add a body to difficult to kill permanent and keep the mana cost the same, simply because it's easier to remove a creature from the battlefield, see for example Magus of the Moon vs. Blood Moon. Furthermore, neither Mindlock Orb nor Furtive Homonculus is competitively costed, though admittedly {W} is probably a bit too cheap. I think you could safely add Mindlock Orb's text to Furtive Homonculus though.

I wasn't adding the mana costs, I was just trying to relate the abilities to other cards. It's the card texts of cards 2-4 attached to the cost and body of card 1.

All that aside, mindlock orb has to be costed the way it is. It's a complete lock on certain strategies. And yes, costed as is (W), Agent is definitely overpowered. 4-of in every legacy D&T deck, and modern hate bears gets a huge boost too.