Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

I think when the format is designed to not do unfair things, this is probably fine. Returning two lands in a fair format can be a major cost when you can't immediately be degenerate

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Well... it only costs you one land, because you (usually) play this when you have no land in hand. It's just an incredible way to go up some cards without spending any mana, that's what makes it good. Of course, if you have an excess amount of lands, and ways to trade in cards in hand for other resources (Compulsion springs to mind), this gets even better!

Well... it only costs you one land, because you (usually) play this when you have no land in hand. It's just an incredible way to go up some cards without spending any mana, that's what makes it good. Of course, if you have an excess amount of lands, and ways to trade in cards in hand for other resources (Compulsion springs to mind), this gets even better!

Although drawing two cards will more often than not draw you a land that you want to play. That means you are paying two land drops and not one.

Of course there are scenarios where you actually do not draw a land and then you can technically not care about one of the land-bounces.

I love gush, but I also like unfair cheaty things. I think it's pretty reasonable card...especially if you aren't running a fully weaponized land base with duals and shocks.

It always seemed a little narrow for my taste, being super awful without two fitting targets. But I have never seen it in action anywhere.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
It always seemed a little narrow for my taste, being super awful without two fitting targets. But I have never seen it in action anywhere.

Yeah, that's my first impression as well, I wonder if it can be better than it looks. Three mana and a card is pretty cheap to upgrade a land into two good spells.

Yeah, that's my first impression as well, I wonder if it can be better than it looks. Three mana and a card is pretty cheap to upgrade a land into two good spells.

I ran Nucklavee for some time and cut it for a similar reason. Has even narrower target space, but comes with a big body. But it was never really good sadly.

Probably. Cataclysm becomes more busted when the cards that you leave behind are more capable of carrying you to victory on their own. This includes army in a can types ala Rabblemaster/Hero of Bladehold or continuous sources of card advantage like walkers.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Good catch! The [ ci ] version is from an online only set. Maybe it has something to do with that? If so... prediction time...

Masters Edition IV:
Fifth Edition: Amulet of Kroog

Masters Edition IV:
Mirrodin: Atog

Magic Online Promos:
Error?: Gleemox

Edit: Oookay... That was not it, but Amulet of Kroog and Atog definitely show something is up! Neither of them know Gleemox though...

Edit2:

I have no idea what set this will be:
Duel Decks: Mind vs Might?: Coat of Arms

Edit3: Ok, that's just weird... Looks like the [ c ] tag just displays the version of the last offline set a card was printed in. [ ci ] is all over the place.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Nope. That's a different card!

26584.jpg

Gleemox is an online only card. I think it's the only official "normal" Magic card that doesn't exist offline.

Apparently they had a bug a few years ago where it wasn't banned in certain tournaments. Clickity. Turns out the card is pretty good with Paradoxical Outcome! :')

Edit: Whelp! I missed "Library of Congress"! Which is completely broken if it ever got out into the wild :D

Can you use Library of Congress in solitaire? Is it even possible to obtain? That might be fun to mess around with.