180 cards, 3 colour cube.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Just from my own experiences with similar cards, I would expect him to average around 5/5, with 7/7 or 8/8 being the high end.

This seems like a good environment for him though, as he seems very tarmogoyf like in this setting. Your problem might be that he ends up being too good.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Its hard to say, because I've not played with the card myself.

However, I think it has that potential, even as a singleton. If you draw it, your odds of winning should go way up as it powers so many interactions: madness, dredge, graveyard count cards, delve--its an engine that does everything you could ever want.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Yeah, when we do 3-4 player multiplayer, with cards like bonehoard that check all graveyards, its not unusual to have it be 12/12 or larger.

Wight can back up the ever so slightly nerfed goyf, since there are no tribal cards and only two planeswalkers.
Wight vs scooze is a pretty unfair matchup though.

Nope, not yet. I was hoping to be able to do an online draft, but there wasn't much interest last week.

I could use a bit of help here, if people had the time to at least draft the cube on CT, and possible have some feedback on things that seem bad, broken or awesome.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I did 5 packs of 9 cards, assuming 4 total players (3 bots).

GrilloParlante's draft of 180 BUG on 23/10/2014 from CubeTutor.com

Its pretty hard for me to give feedback, since the cube is so different from anything else I've drafted. Even the graveyard elements are pretty different from my own cube, so its hard for me to say if this would be a good deck or not, or if I even built it correctly. I went with an early vengevine, and I feel like this didn't turn out to be a great vengevine deck, but I have no idea if that is true or not. A few thoughts as a result:

1. I do feel like like the deck is more of a collection of good cards. In normal cube, we try to steer away from the 5 color good stuff decks, because after a while they all start to bleed together and feel the same, and I feel like this ended up being a 3 color good stuff deck, when I wanted to draft a strong theme.

2. One of the things with a lot of graveyard strategies, is that they seek to provide an alternate form of card advantage. Unfortunatly, they are inheriently less efficent than raw draw effects. Strong draw spells like deep analysis, frantic search, compulsive research, and thirst for knowledge, can undermine the push towards using the graveyard as a source of card advantage. I felt that tension during the draft, and I think there is a risk that one form of card advantage may end up being strictly better than the other, from a min/max point of view. Its difficult to say without actually playing the decks, of course, but I would keep an eye on it.

3. My instinct was that the graveyard hate was very strong. Ooze seems like a slam first pick and some of the other cards seemed like they could just hose another graveyard deck after a few turns of being in play (necrogenesis). I found myself really tempted to just draft all of the hate cards, and built a deck around it, which seems really lame. Some more subtle hate, like pacifism effects (oubliette), I think might be healthy, or something like stab wound. To put this in perspective, over here, memory's journey and krosan reclamation are absolute beatings as far as graveyard hate goes: every control deck wants to run at least one copy of them, and its worth splashing green to be able to flashback journey. Necrogensis (for example) would just be insane here, and effectively beat a lot of decks on its own. Ooze would basically be a game ending removal check.

4. Cards like damnation seems pretty bad here. Removal that dosen't exile or pacify against a graveyard strategy often times ends up being either de facto bounce, a fueling something far nastier. Since you are in the BUG colors, there really arn't any matchups where those removal spells would shine. I'm not sure if that is good or bad for the cube.

Wish I could be more helpful, but hope those thoughts are at least somewhat helpful.

It's very useful feedback, about some stuff I haven't thought about, thank you very much!

One thing that seems hard to balance about your first point, is that if I make four separate themes, they will probably be so strong and visible that there will only be the same four decks every time. I've tried to steer away from that and have most of the cards having some sort of synergy with each other, which means that good stuff decks are viable, but will hopefully give more variation in the decks on the other hand, since most of the cards can go into any deck.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Here is another one:

GrilloParlante's draft of 180 BUG on 24/10/2014 from CubeTutor.com

I felt like this was a bit more focused: I tried to be the gy hate deck. I have some bounce for removal, madness interactions, and a lot of shifting to try to find ooze and deathrite. Wonder is so that I can fly over with a giant ooze or lord of extinction.

I think gaea's blessing is probably pretty bad for most of the decks in the format, and should be a krosan reclamation. I'm also not sure there is enough knight density for haakon.

Hmm, it looks like I've been cutting knights right and left, and only have three left besides Haakon. He is a self recurring threat though, along with only Gravecrawler and Bloodsoaked Champion. I agree that the knight density is low, but since there is no real reanimation, I think that he still can play that role?
I think your gy hate deck looks quite fair, aside from scooze, which I will of course have to look out for, along with necrogenesis.

What do you think about the triple fetches, too many, or seems fair? It should be the same density as double fetches in a 360 (kinda), and it does seem like you didn't get to take too many of them?

I really appreciate the feedback, and will think about all the points made.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
The fetches seem fine. I felt like the cube was in a good spot as far as mana fixing was concerned; you would only be punished if you completly ignored mana fixing in the draft.

Those are fair points with haakon. I guess my inner johnny just wanted to use him as an engine, and I forgot he could recur himself.

UB Aggro from CubeTutor.com

Did a draft as well. I felt like there were some themes that kept me from dipping into green and focus on picking certain cards of over others. Its a pretty hard cube to evaluate though, without having played it.

Edit: Totally didnt realise how hideous that curve looked.

First draft, I built this delve monstrosity

delve

Jace is an all-star, worked really well in this deck. The delve cards worked well as well. Was afraid that I ended up with too many, but I could usually play all of them at a decent discount.

The threat of delving with vizier in play was usually enough to get it killed straight away ;)

The best deck of the day had a Pod, and Bloodsoaked champion, Gravecrawler, and some really filthy chains.

Hooting mandrills was the real deal as well, quite a threat when it dropped on turn three.

Probably doing like Modern, and banning pod, adding.... something else. Maybe another planeswalker, that could be interesting, perhaps a Garruk, since some of them rock.

Random thought or the day: Miracles could be a build around here, but then again, how fun are miracles? Are there any that you people would play in BUG?