180 cards, 3 colour cube.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
How do you want your format to be paced? BUG is probably the least aggro color combination you could come up with. What roles will the different colors play in such a setting?

Low removal too, as something to consider.

How do you want your format to be paced? BUG is probably the least aggro color combination you could come up with. What roles will the different colors play in such a setting?

Low removal too, as something to consider.

Some sort of Golgari aggro is probably possible, with gravecrawlers and E1 as a base, with strangleroots and other chaff bringing up the rear, but it will lean towards the midrange-y part of the spectrum.
The removal thought was something like this:
cc1: not much
cc2: conditional removal, along the lines of terror, ultimate price, etc.
cc3: unconditional removal, murder, hero's downfall etc.

The roles of the colours are defined in the post with the different themes that are on the previous page, with some of them already thrown out. I'll make an updated list of what they can do, once I have purged some more.

Most of the removal is sacrificing atm, will ponder about how that holds up. Down to 180 cards now, time to get cracking, I guess.

Things that could be interesting to at least double up on: Gravecrawler, as usual, E1, Tarmogoyf, something blue?

Also, probably would be good with some kind of mono blue 4cc creature, any suggestions?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Loving these "protection from colors that aren't in the cube" suggestions. 3-color cubes are super fun to design.

It's worth keeping in mind that you can't cover as wide a spectrum of themes as in a full cube. I'm not sure how best to handle the tension of "we only have 180 cards" and "it'd be nice to have some diversity in the playable decks".

Are you going to run Creeping Tar Pit?

Already in!

I'm unsure about creeping tar pit, it might make it in. Too good for a utility draft anyway.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I think fewer themes is fine, if you're primarily aiming at an audience of four players. Better to have a few decks that can consistently come together, rather than too many themes in a list where the low player count means that archetypes get diluted or build-arounds don't show up.

It would be hard to mimic the variety of a 360 cube where you consistently get eight people to show up, so I think this is a reasonable compromise to make.

I've now got it down to 180 cards, singleton, and I think it looks like it actually might be playable. At least for testing.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I've only gotten as far as the blue creature section of your visual spoiler, and good god this is a cube I want to play. Finally, an environment where Vexing Sphinx can shine! (Maybe.)

Wanna elaborate on that anotak? My only experience is that people dont seem to like neither wight or admirers in regular cubes, but this isnt a regular cube.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Honestly when I had weight in my cube he was almost good enough, and with everyone wanting to do graveyard things he probably will be

the biggest i've seen wight be was in a 5 player edh game on turn 9 and be 4/4

there was even a reanimator deck at the table

Good points, though dredge might play out a bit different from regular reanimator. I know I had him up as a 7/7 on the GC pre-release.