General Print this Wizards! (So I can put it in my cube)

honestly that gideon looks pretty busted to me. its not just tamiyo because it shuts down non-tap abilities, and then it has removal on it, and then he's also a beater if he needs to be? however he doesnt look particularly unfun. maybe start him at 3 counters so that you cant just zap a permanent with his -3 the turn he comes out and then have him stick around. to be fair he probably would be terrible at 6 which means hes not as busted as i first thought
-

on an unrelated note, cml's discussions about devotion, tempo, blue aggro, and the 'failed delver theme' that blue 1 drop dudes seem pretty lacking in most cubes, looking at people's lists and whatnot. looking through my card design files the only blue 1 drop i could find was
sensei {U}
Creature - Human Wizard
{1}: Look at the top three cards of your library, then put them back in any order.
{T}: Draw a card, then put ~ on top of its owner’s library.
1/1

i also had these hybrids laying around for when i was trying to brainstorm a full cycle of hybrids that could compete with the ridiculousness of deathrite shaman, but these aren't exactly pure mono-u 1drops

ug hybrid {U/G}
Creature - Vedalken Nomad
Shroud, flash
Threshold — ~ gets +1/+1 as long as seven or more cards are in your graveyard.
1/1

ur hybrid {U/R}
Creature - Elemental
T, Discard a card: Draw a card.
Sacrifice ~: Copy target instant or sorcery spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
1/2

ub hybrid {U/B}
Creature - Merfolk Rebel
~ can only be blocked by enchanted creatures.
2, T: Look at the top card of target player’s library. You may put that card into that player’s graveyard.
1/1

wu hybrid {W/U}
Creature - Kithkin Soldier
{W/U}, {T}: Tap target creature.
{W}, {T}: Target attacking creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
{U}, {T}: Untap target artifact or creature.
1/1

so i thought it'd be a cool exercise to make some blue 1 drop guys and perhaps yall have some better ideas than i do. honestly i'd prefer some like delver of secrets or cloudfin raptor or phantasmal bears that could potentially be used aggressively but be varied enough in its strengths to be useful to other archetypes too. so i guess im asking for the blue grim lavamancer. is that even possible?

half-flying dude {U}
Creature - Human Wizard
~ can't be blocked except by creatures with flying or reach.
When ~ deals combat damage to an opponent, look at the top card of your library. You may put that card in the graveyard.
1/1

Instant or Sorcery Lackey {U}
Creature - Goblin Soldier
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, you may cast an instant or sorcery card from your hand with converted mana cost 2 or less without paying its mana cost.
1/1

i bet all of these are broken, but i dont really know what im doing here

Chris Taylor

Contributor
honestly that gideon looks pretty busted to me. its not just tamiyo because it shuts down non-tap abilities, and then it has removal on it, and then he's also a beater if he needs to be? however he doesnt look particularly unfun. maybe start him at 3 counters so that you cant just zap a permanent with his -3 the turn he comes out and then have him stick around. to be fair he probably would be terrible at 6 which means hes not as busted as i first thought
I do feel bad that he's essentially Removal/Removal/Threat, but I've always had a lot of trouble figuring out what else white should do.

I also had the idea of him having a targeted ability of gideon's +2, but he'll probably need another minus ability if that's the case.

on an unrelated note, cml's discussions about devotion, tempo, blue aggro, and the 'failed delver theme' that blue 1 drop dudes seem pretty lacking in most cubes, looking at people's lists and whatnot. looking through my card design files the only blue 1 drop i could find was
sensei {U}
Creature - Human Wizard
{1}: Look at the top three cards of your library, then put them back in any order.
{T}: Draw a card, then put ~ on top of its owner’s library.
1/1
This actually sounds kinda interesting. I'm not particularly a fan of O.G. top myself since it ties up your mana. Could be cool.

I'm not particularly fond of the idea of there being MORE creatures like DRS in this world, but let's look at these on their own merits.
also had these hybrids laying around for when i was trying to brainstorm a full cycle of hybrids that could compete with the ridiculousness of deathrite shaman, but these aren't exactly pure mono-u 1drops

ug hybrid {U/G}
Creature - Vedalken Nomad
Shroud, flash
1/1
I've never had much success with nimble mongoose. Threshold is a large large condition in most enviornments, so he might need the +2/+2 instead.
Is a blue nimble mongoose good? I'm not sure, but it sounds fair to me. Talk to someone who's played with the card :p

ur hybrid {U/R}
Creature - Elemental
T, Discard a card: Draw a card.
Sacrifice ~: Copy target instant or sorcery spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
1/2
I'll be the first to tell you a one mana looter is too good, especially if it's as big as this guy is. I had {U} for a 0/1 looter in my cube for a while, and he came out because he was subtly too powerful
The seal of fork is an INSANE card by the way, probably deserving of a whole new card, maybe at {R}{U} for like a 2/1 or something.

ub hybrid {U/B}
Creature - Merfolk Rebel
~ can only be blocked by enchanted creatures.
2, T: Look at the top card of target player’s library. You may put that card into that player’s graveyard.
1/1
so let's just assume he's a 1/1 unblockable. That's a bit different from flying men, but what is the purpose of the second ability? And why does it cost so much mana?
Would he be so broken if he just did fateseal 1 when he hit? Probably, but I think it makes more sense then the weird tap ability on the otherwise aggressive creature.
wu hybrid {W/U}
Creature - Kithkin Soldier
{W/U}, {T}: Tap target creature.
{W}, {T}: Target attacking creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
{U}, {T}: Untap target artifact or creature.
1/1
It's interesting, but I feel like his first ability is way way stronger than the other two, unless you have some other broken creature with ability.
Maybe: {U}{T} Target creature you control gains shroud until end of turn.
{W}{T} target creature gains first strike until end of turn.

He's quite a bit stronger now, and he might actually be a deathrite shaman level, but at least the abilities are on par with eachother.

so i thought it'd be a cool exercise to make some blue 1 drop guys and perhaps yall have some better ideas than i do. honestly i'd prefer some like delver of secrets or cloudfin raptor or phantasmal bears that could potentially be used aggressively but be varied enough in its strengths to be useful to other archetypes too. so i guess im asking for the blue grim lavamancer. is that even possible?

half-flying dude {U}
Creature - Human Wizard
~ can't be blocked except by creatures with flying or reach.
When ~ deals combat damage to an opponent, look at the top card of your library. You may put that card in the graveyard.
1/1
See comments above concerning nimble mongoose and flying men.
Instant or Sorcery Lackey {U}
Creature - Goblin Soldier
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, you may cast an instant or sorcery card from your hand with converted mana cost 2 or less without paying its mana cost.
1/1

i bet all of these are broken, but i dont really know what im doing here

Probably fine in cube, but horribly broken in constructed.

Gideon, Loose Cannon
Gideon, Doesn't Play by the Rules but Dammit He Gets Results
Gideon, Hard Ass
Gideon, Busted Down to Sargent
Gideon, Strong Silent Type

EDIT: I missed a bunch of anotak cards. I like the cut of your jib. I like this 1cc hybrids idea, I'm not sure if these are finished but these designs show pwomise.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Gideon, Doesn't Play by the Rules but Dammit He Gets Results

I think this one is my favorite :p

Edit:
GideonDoesntPlaybytheRulesbutDammitHeGetsResults.jpg

some more mono-u 1 drop thoughts

some merfolk {U}
Creature - Merfolk Soldier
Defender
Tap an untapped permanent you control: ~ loses defender until end of turn.
2/1

psychatog's lil sister {U}
Creature - Atog
~ can't be blocked by creatures with converted mana cost 3 or greater.
Exile two instant or sorcery cards from your graveyard: ~ gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
1/1

Necromoeba {U}
Creature - Illusion
Discard a card: Switch target creature you control’s power and toughness until end of turn.
Unearth {U}
1/2

EDIT: I missed a bunch of anotak cards. I like the cut of your jib. I like this 1cc hybrids idea, I'm not sure if these are finished but these designs show pwomise.
nothing is ever finished with me

for reference here were the other ones i had, some of these are sort of broken and i dont know how to fix them others are kind of lame
br hybrid {B/R}
Creature - Salamander
Wither
Whenever a player draws a card on another player’s turn, ~ deals 2 damage to the first player.
2/1

gw hybrid {G/W}
Creature - Elf Warrior
During your turn, your opponents can’t cast spells or activate abilities of artifacts, creatures, or enchantments.
~ gets +1/+0 for each aura attached to it.
2/1

rg hybrid {R/G}
Creature - Goblin Warrior
Trample
Creature spells you control with power 5 or greater can’t be countered.
Sacrifice ~: Add {1} to your mana pool.
2/1

rw hybrid {R/W}
Creature - Insect Rebel
First Strike
Landfall — Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, ~ gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
1/1

wb hybrid {W/B}
Creature - Hag
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under an opponent’s control, you may have that player lose 1 life.
{1}{W}, {T}: Target creature you control gains protection from the color of your choice until end of turn.
1/1

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Also random thought:

Shmires of Shamivama {R}{G}{1}
Creatures you control have haste
Sac ~: This turn, creatures you control can't be blocked except by 2 or more creatures

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Also, how do we feel about this?

One in a Million {1}{W}
Instant
Instead of paying ~'s mana cost, you may exile a white card from your hand
Target creature gains protection from the color of your choice until end of turn.

CML

Contributor
so if you give your one-drops 2 power then that opens up a lot of design space by making them playable

edit: the "sensei" is magnificent but i wonder if it's just, well, you know

I can't like those last two enough.

I feel like I would eventually taint the experiment by becoming too attached and trying to make them actually cool.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Snapdragon.jpg
OrderofFate.jpg

Cards:
Snapdragon {1}{U}
Flying
{U}:~ gets +1/-1 until end of turn
1/3

Order of Fate {1}{W}
First Strike
Players search libraries at random (If a player would search for a mountain, shuffle the library and reveal cards from the top until they reveal a mountain)
2/1

I think it works guys :D

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Needs some more text to be technically correct. See Cascade re: what to do with the revealed cards you don't use.

hypothetically thats for my friend's mma-influenced cube where we are trying to build in 10 million different themes and have them actually overlap instead of being like mma

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Just between you and me and the rest of everybody who visits this site, I think we could build a much better custom cube than the "Custom Cube".

are you referring to a specific one? ive seen a few of those.

this thing isnt all custom cards but they obviously are a big part